Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

My Dyno Tune With COBB AP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can't judge your gains off of another persons dyno sheet. Normally what they do to compensate is add air to the sniffer to make it seem like a more flowing exhaust (kind of like not having cats). If you don't have an extra 02 bung on your high flow cats, it's hard to get a precise air fuel number.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:31 AM
808MIKE

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yea that's true. but it's a little too late now! LOL. it's all i got to go by, on Average a VQ35HR motor stock. dyno's at around 250-260HP at the wheels. So I did not have the time or money to do dyno's after every mod. So thats that. And how do other blow more air onto the sniffer? I know the one he used just clamped to my Tip with a long probe into my muffler. and no air hoses! just a wire straight to the Computer. but i don't know, could be the Dyno itself, and everycar is diffrent. just wanted to post my results, and the way my car drives now, it's a tottaly diffrent animal. especially down low, and screams to redline like no tomorrow!
Old 12-21-2009, 04:55 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
It's always good to do your research before hitting a dyno as to know what to expect.

I'd go back there and ask for some more graphs, torque & A/F to start with and with the RPM reading on the x-axis.

May I ask how much you paid for your tune?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:23 PM
808MIKE

Hey Sam, yea trying too see if he has more sheets! Hope he does! And I paid about $200! and he'd did like 10-11 pulls.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:28 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
808 mike, i would get another tuner. My friend has an 05 rev up coupe, with a kinetix intake plenum,3 inch cat back & test pipes gained 25whp from his tune.4 hp just dont sound correct.although as long as you are content, hey if your happy,whatever floats your boat.

edit:just read the part about you paying only $200.that is cheap,although I personally say do it right or why bother.btw he shouldn't have much to do if thoose gains are correct.this may be a dumb question,did he let your car cool down between(like 3 pulls then gave a little rest)running all thoose pulls in a row is a disaster waiting to happen.if you only spent $200,it would run you that just for the dyno.by me 3 pulls for 75 is avg.

Last edited by RISKY GUY; 12-21-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:41 PM
808MIKE

Well I know that does not snd right either dude! But hope to talk to him today and find out more info! Gotta have been a lower base number!
Old 12-21-2009, 06:58 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Base numbers don't mean anything 808, focus on the change.. delta.. gains. If you were at 300 and went to 304 or were at 250 and went to 254, you still only gained 4hp (I'd be happier with 250-254 gain actually since it's a higher percentage)

Keep us posted and please don't let your tuner blow your engine trying to squeeze more HP out of it
Old 12-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
Base numbers don't mean anything 808, focus on the change.. delta.. gains. If you were at 300 and went to 304 or were at 250 and went to 254, you still only gained 4hp (I'd be happier with 250-254 gain actually since it's a higher percentage)

Keep us posted and please don't let your tuner blow your engine trying to squeeze more HP out of it
^ true
Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 PM
808MIKE

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
808 mike, i would get another tuner. My friend has an 05 rev up coupe, with a kinetix intake plenum,3 inch cat back & test pipes gained 25whp from his tune.4 hp just dont sound correct.although as long as you are content, hey if your happy,whatever floats your boat.

edit:just read the part about you paying only $200.that is cheap,although I personally say do it right or why bother.btw he shouldn't have much to do if thoose gains are correct.this may be a dumb question,did he let your car cool down between(like 3 pulls then gave a little rest)running all thoose pulls in a row is a disaster waiting to happen.if you only spent $200,it would run you that just for the dyno.by me 3 pulls for 75 is avg.
Hey Risky, Thnx for the Chime in on things. Well I am satisfied the way the car performs! but why can't i just assume my motor makes the same 250-260HP stock. It's an average baseline! since all other guys that dynoed thier VQ35HR's at at that same range! 250-260. Not like my motor would make more than that Stock. since I never did a so called "Baseline Dyno". if I got 264HP increase out of 260 Stock HP, then I would not be happy! but it's all I got to go buy! So I am more of looking at my Tottal gains from a Stock HP rating of 250-260HP, and I got 280HP right now. not the .4HP gain from 276. And thats another thing, he did 3 back to back pulls. Looked at data. let car sit Off for about maybe 10-15min, 20min max, to adjust and upload another map, then another 3 back to back pulls. did not let it sit for Hrs. Maybe thats why? He had Fans blowing on Motor and In front while uploading maps.

My tuner has not got back to me yet! So I'm still waiting for more sheets if he has any!??

Did anyone think that the COBB "Stock Style Map". was made pretty decent map for our cars.? Was it Chammelion or you Risky? that did this to your G37. ran the Stock Style Map from CObb, and just adjusted the A/F ratios from that map, and got pretty good gains?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:37 PM
808MIKE

HAHA, thnx Sam. I won't let him Blow my Motor! LOL. I love the way the car runs now! but I keep telling myself, everycar is diffrent, and everydyno is diffrent! if one guy get 300HP at a Shop, and I get 280HP at my shop. with same exact dyno? Go figure? LOL
Old 12-22-2009, 04:16 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Originally Posted by 808MIKE
Hey Risky, Thnx for the Chime in on things. Well I am satisfied the way the car performs! but why can't i just assume my motor makes the same 250-260HP stock. It's an average baseline! since all other guys that dynoed thier VQ35HR's at at that same range! 250-260. Not like my motor would make more than that Stock. since I never did a so called "Baseline Dyno". if I got 264HP increase out of 260 Stock HP, then I would not be happy! but it's all I got to go buy! So I am more of looking at my Tottal gains from a Stock HP rating of 250-260HP, and I got 280HP right now. not the .4HP gain from 276. And thats another thing, he did 3 back to back pulls. Looked at data. let car sit Off for about maybe 10-15min, 20min max, to adjust and upload another map, then another 3 back to back pulls. did not let it sit for Hrs. Maybe thats why? He had Fans blowing on Motor and In front while uploading maps.

My tuner has not got back to me yet! So I'm still waiting for more sheets if he has any!??
You're still missing the point bro, we're just looking out for you here, if you're happy with the 4HP gains then be it, we're just saying something doesn't add up. Tuner could've played with your throttle tables to make your car drive like a beast, but that wouldn't change the dyno numbers coz that's where it's all at.

Simply put, forget about all baseline other people crap. Look at your case. You walked in with 260, spent 200 bux for a custom tune that only yielded 4HP. That's why something doesn't add up and here is my 2 fils:

1) Either the tuner doesn't know what he's doing, I'd be worried

OR

2) Doesn't know how to use the dyno map reader software, while tuning, he could've went from 250-260 then 260-264 for instance (fine tuning) but only graphed 260 vs 264 for you rather than graphing 250-264 (as you can see he already put vehicle speed rather than engine speed on the x-axis which makes him quite a noob at this lol)
Old 12-23-2009, 12:30 AM
808MIKE

You're still missing the point bro, we're just looking out for you here, if you're happy with the 4HP gains then be it, we're just saying something doesn't add up. Tuner could've played with your throttle tables to make your car drive like a beast, but that wouldn't change the dyno numbers coz that's where it's all at.

Simply put, forget about all baseline other people crap. Look at your case. You walked in with 260, spent 200 bux for a custom tune that only yielded 4HP. That's why something doesn't add up and here is my 2 fils:

1) Either the tuner doesn't know what he's doing, I'd be worried

OR

2) Doesn't know how to use the dyno map reader software, while tuning, he could've went from 250-260 then 260-264 for instance (fine tuning) but only graphed 260 vs 264 for you rather than graphing 250-264 (as you can see he already put vehicle speed rather than engine speed on the x-axis which makes him quite a noob at this lol)
Ok, Understand what you are trying to say Sam. But could it be that with my added mods and the fact that I reflashed my ECU with Cobbs "Stock Style Map" before the Dyno. Account for my baseline being at 276? And all he could do was muster another 4HP from that map? Well that does not sound right either! LOL. Damn. I know u guy's are trying to Help me out here.

Now makes me Doubt My tune that I got, and feel like I wasted my $200!! But the Tuner I went to is trying to pull up more sheets, and he's gonna let me know what he did, and if there was a diffrent basline HP #, from the 276 he posted.

But I live on an Island, and can't drive or go to another tuner in another state! LOL. we only have like 2-3 good Tuners. and one specializes in Stangs. and the others are by word of mouth or others experience with that shop. And shipping my ECU is just downright scary, and my car will be down for couple weeks. so that really sucks.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:02 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Originally Posted by 808MIKE
But could it be that with my added mods and the fact that I reflashed my ECU with Cobbs "Stock Style Map" before the Dyno. Account for my baseline being at 276? And all he could do was muster another 4HP from that map? Well that does not sound right either! LOL. Damn. I know u guy's are trying to Help me out here.
Ok wait, this could be very valid btw (no joke). I thought you started with the OEM flash, didn't know you used a preloaded cobb map. That could've contributed a lot. Chamelion used that on Risky's car and saw some nice gains, just by flashing stock style map!!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:18 PM
808MIKE

Ok wait, this could be very valid btw (no joke). I thought you started with the OEM flash, didn't know you used a preloaded cobb map. That could've contributed a lot. Chamelion used that on Risky's car and saw some nice gains, just by flashing stock style map!!
LOL. Finally someone Understands what I did, and was trying to say! LOL. Yes that is what I did, since I saw Risky's Post, what that Stock Style Map, from Cobb did. But still waiting for my Tuner to e-mail me back if he has more sheets, but maybe he made more power throughout my powerband. so might explain just a 4 more HP increase?? But hard to tell without the sheets. Oh well.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:57 AM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
UpRev and Technosquare ftw.

Quick Reply: My Dyno Tune With COBB AP!