Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help What the heck is this *Sprint Booster*

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:48 PM
SOLISIMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What the heck is this *Sprint Booster*

Just found this for the G37, kinda pricey but its from a legit company. Is this like that throttle controller thingy

07+ (Sedan) 08+ (Coupe) INFINITI G37 SPRINT BOOSTER 09:eBay Motors (item 300378536333 end time Jan-15-10 2243 PST)
Old 12-17-2009, 02:43 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
It's been dicussed on driver and a local g35 guy says it is legit. It's supposed to increase throttle response.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:04 PM
SOLISIMO

This exact one? Is it just like the Blitz throttle controler?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

I'm very tempted to get this...I always find it hard to factor in the throttle lag with the clutch action on the G....this seems to be a hardwired version on the Blitz TC
Old 12-18-2009, 04:20 AM
xo4ox

It's very worrying when a company doesn't even spell "Infiniti" right :s

Old 12-18-2009, 05:47 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is just a signal multiplier. If you know how the throttle by wire works then that is all I have to tell you. If you don't know how the tbw works then I'll try to explain it a little later when I have more time.

All it does is take the take the signal from the throttle peddle and add to it. You feel your going faster because you only pushed the gas a little bit and the car took off. The problem is, you push the peddle half way and now the throttle body is full open. There is no more throttling after that. All this really does is take away full peddle travel.

I'll try to explain better later.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:08 AM
SOLISIMO

I got ya so your saying its almost the same as those ebay chips that trick the computer correct, thanks for honestly Ivoid. How would you compare this to the Blitz
Old 12-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't know what the Blitz is. I have ran across the Sprint Booster before in a number of other forums. The first I heard of them was for the Mercedes and then the Chrysler LX platform. A lot of guys love this thing but they have no idea what it does or how it does it. A lot of other guys know what it does and hate it. If you have a programmer that can adjust throttle sensitivity (among other things) you can do the same thing.

Most of these electronic throttles work off a 5 volt reading. Someone tried to argue with me the other day that it's millivolts but I think it's volts (I may be wrong, it's happened before). When the accelerator is not depressed, a 0 volt reading is sent to the computer from the sensor. When the accelerator is pushed down, a signal is sent to the computer from the accelerator sensor. This signal is maxed out at 5 volts when the accelerator pedal is completely depressed. I believe the signal is completely linear, meaning at half throttle there is 2.5v. Now, when the signal gets to the computer either magic happens or hell breaks loose. Just because you have the throttle pushed down half way doesn’t mean the throttle is open half way. The computer totally takes control and decides what to do with the throttle blades based on a number of inputs and your right foot is only one of them.

This Sprint Booster just intercepts the signal from the accelerator and “boosts” it. They call it “boost”, I call it a signal multiplier. Well, it can’t go over 5 volts but it can get you to 5 volts a lot sooner. So, whether it multiplies the original signal by 1.5 or by 2 or whatever, all it really does is take away your full length of peddle travel.

Some other things of note:

My Dodge uses a redundant signal (backup) that goes from 0-2.5v and the computer compares the two inputs to make sure the sensor and signal is not messed up (safety stuff). I'm sure all makes have something similar to this.

Don’t call this sensor on the back of the peddle TPS (throttle position sensor) that’s totally something else. This is called APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) by some manufactures.

Another one of those inputs to the computer is how “fast” you push the accelerator down.