Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review Tuned with Cobb Accessport!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can adjust ignition timing, you can't adjust cam timing. My base was 314whp, with a little bit of timing in the ignition I immediately jumped to 324whp just on my second run. Then made another 7whp ontop of that adjusting the air fuel ratios properly.

Cam timing isn't going to be available anytime soon. Not from Cobb, or Uprev. They DO NOT want to be held responsible for amateur tuners detonating engines because no one is that familiar with the VVEL and it's capabilities as of yet.

As of now Uprev is + 1 since they offer tuning to redline, not just 7200rpms. I really need to contact Cobb and see WTF is up with that.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:19 AM
SOLISIMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok now I got it. After reading this I might start concentrating more on performance after the new year. But I rather start with gears and a GTM valve body which personally I think will slaughter any M3 or bigger
Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Staples
You can adjust ignition timing, you can't adjust cam timing. My base was 314whp, with a little bit of timing in the ignition I immediately jumped to 324whp just on my second run. Then made another 7whp ontop of that adjusting the air fuel ratios properly.

Cam timing isn't going to be available anytime soon. Not from Cobb, or Uprev. They DO NOT want to be held responsible for amateur tuners detonating engines because no one is that familiar with the VVEL and it's capabilities as of yet.

As of now Uprev is + 1 since they offer tuning to redline, not just 7200rpms. I really need to contact Cobb and see WTF is up with that.
I call BS. In theory, the factory ECU should be robust enough to be "ideal" in every possible scenerio. It is, after all, infinitely varible.

Either nobody has cracked it (possible), or nobody is able to improve on it (more likely) because it is "ideal" from self-adaptation.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 AM
SOLISIMO

In other words leave it the way it is No one's been able to speak like with an infiniti engine builder
Old 12-14-2009, 11:30 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
I wouldn't mess with the CAM timing anytime soon, this isn't an LS block.. it's a complicated valve train which I've been reading about for almost 2 years now and still can't dig lol
Old 12-14-2009, 12:53 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
the cobb gave 15whp with just air & fuel & again professionally done/imagine if you could adjust the timing,it would not only effect hp, but the throttle lag we all have. just imagine even 80% throttle at low rpm's. you'd have a nice wiplash effect. Staples Unless your tunner is GTM, he/they did not adjust any timing,(as of now it has not been hacked into ecu,by cobb or osirus/uprev.trust me.+1)
Old 12-14-2009, 06:06 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Risky you are confused and confusing others.. there are two different kinds of timing, ignition timing and cam timing.

Staples said he was able to mess with the ignition timing.. cam timing so far only God can mess with.. (don't quote me on that though )
Old 12-14-2009, 06:09 PM
SilverBullet

You can advance ignition timing.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Staples

Originally Posted by Mike
I call BS. In theory, the factory ECU should be robust enough to be "ideal" in every possible scenerio. It is, after all, infinitely varible.

Either nobody has cracked it (possible), or nobody is able to improve on it (more likely) because it is "ideal" from self-adaptation.
Bad choice of words on my part. Uprev has stated they have cracked the VVEL, but they don't know its full potential / limits as of yet. There's still a lot of R&D needing to be done before it's released publicly.

As I've stated before, they don't want to have the finger pointed at them because of amateur tuners blowing up engines.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Staples

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
the cobb gave 15whp with just air & fuel & again professionally done/imagine if you could adjust the timing,it would not only effect hp, but the throttle lag we all have. just imagine even 80% throttle at low rpm's. you'd have a nice wiplash effect. Staples Unless your tunner is GTM, he/they did not adjust any timing,(as of now it has not been hacked into ecu,by cobb or osirus/uprev.trust me.+1)
Originally Posted by G37Sam
Risky you are confused and confusing others.. there are two different kinds of timing, ignition timing and cam timing.

Staples said he was able to mess with the ignition timing.. cam timing so far only God can mess with.. (don't quote me on that though )
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
You can advance ignition timing.
...Word...
Old 12-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Bad choice of words on my part. Uprev has stated they have cracked the VVEL, but they don't know its full potential / limits as of yet. There's still a lot of R&D needing to be done before it's released publicly.

As I've stated before, they don't want to have the finger pointed at them because of amateur tuners blowing up engines.
Uprev only allows for proven pro tuners to purchase the full software suite from them. If these proven tuners are not enough, who is?

Is it the gun manufactuer's fault that their gun was used to kill someone?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Staples

Originally Posted by Mike
Uprev only allows for proven pro tuners to purchase the full software suite from them. If these proven tuners are not enough, who is?

Is it the gun manufactuer's fault that their gun was used to kill someone?
Exactly and Uprev picks the performance shops to become authorized dealers / tuners. It's without a doubt a domino effect. A tuner that UPREV provided their certified software for blew up a customer's motor. Uprev most likely would have referred that customer to a certified tuner. It makes both parties look bad.

I prefer waiting for more research in cam adjustments, I would hate to be that guinea pig in case anything goes wrong.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:45 PM
ringring11

Will the cobb works on automatic?

or is it manual only
Old 12-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Staples

Originally Posted by ringring11
Will the cobb works on automatic?

or is it manual only
Works on both.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:50 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Works on both.
On the 08 it works on both. On the 09 it only works on the manual. They are still working on the auto version. They need ROM dumps from auto cars. In talking to their tuner over the weekend, they are having a hard time getting what they need with all the auto versions of ECU out there. It will come in due time, but just not yet....

Quick Reply: Review Tuned with Cobb Accessport!