Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Quick questions about the ATTESA-ETS on my G37X

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quick questions about the ATTESA-ETS on my G37X

I got the basics of how the system performs.

Lets concentrate on the right vs. left wheels on both axles.

Rear Axle: The system uses Active Brake Limited Slip (ABLS) to transfer power between the left and rear wheels?

Front Axle: Viscous Limited Slip Differential to transfer power between the left and rear wheels...if power is being sent to the front?

I understand that the system is 0 Front/100 Rear unless slip is detected.

Yes/No?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:02 AM
GT-R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike S.
Rear Axle: The system uses Active Brake Limited Slip (ABLS) to transfer power between the left and rear wheels?
Between the left and rear wheels? That doesn't make sense. You mean the left and right rear wheels? The answer is yes, you are correct.

Front Axle: Viscous Limited Slip Differential to transfer power between the left and rear wheels...if power is being sent to the front?
Between the left and rear wheels? Again that doesn't make sense. 4-Wheel ABLS is working all the time, it doesn't matter if ATTESA E-TS is sending power to the front or rear axle. The "X" model uses an electronic clutch pack (ATTESA E-TS) to transfer power front to back/back to front, and from there it uses 4-Wheel Limited Slip ABLS to transfer power from side to side.

I understand that the system is 0 Front/100 Rear unless slip is detected.
From a standing start, ATTESA E-TS always starts at 25/75 F/R and then goes to 0/100 F/R if no slip is detected in normal conditions. In Snow Mode, the car starts at 50/50 F/R until it reaches 12 MPH and then goes back to normal 0/100 F/R is no slip is detected in normal conditions. Snow mode also slows the rate of throttle opening. The system can can split power to a maximum of 50/50 under slip conditions. 4-Wheel Limited Slip (ABLS) applies braking force to any of the drive-wheels that do not have traction.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Mike S.

Sorry...it was late...lol. Yes I mean Left and RIGHT wheels. Hehehe.

Ok, more questions.

My car was "broken" for a few weeks so my VDC OFF and SLIP lights were constantly on.

According to the dealer and my own experience...my X was a 2wd ONLY car. They were right. I spun the rears like a mustang...but it was an accident..to much gas on a wet road, trying to merge onto another road.

SO my car fixed now, all systems normal:

1. If I manually turn the VDC off, my car remains an AWD car...right?

2. Turning the VDC off will turn off the skid control (think winding road), but how about the traction control aspect of VDC. Meaning, if I was on an ice rink, with VDC off and I hit the gas, would all 4 wheels spin very fast?

With my altima, TCS ON made it impossible to spin the wheels in snow/slush. It worked very well.

Guess I'm just wondering what VDC off would do?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you sure you have an AWD?

AWD kicks in in roughly 3ms, far too fast for wheelspin to be detected by a human.

Why would you turn off VDC?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:52 AM
JKashat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What exactly did the dealer say was wrong with your G? My RWD '09 G37s has the same two lights popping up on the dash. I have an appointment to take it in on Thursday for that, to reset my TPMS sensors, and an oil change before it gets put away for the winter.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:01 PM
GT-R

Ok, more questions.

My car was "broken" for a few weeks so my VDC OFF and SLIP lights were constantly on.

According to the dealer and my own experience...my X was a 2wd ONLY car. They were right. I spun the rears like a mustang...but it was an accident..to much gas on a wet road, trying to merge onto another road.

2. Turning the VDC off will turn off the skid control (think winding road), but how about the traction control aspect of VDC. Meaning, if I was on an ice rink, with VDC off and I hit the gas, would all 4 wheels spin very fast?

With my altima, TCS ON made it impossible to spin the wheels in snow/slush. It worked very well.

Your car is an "X" right? You have a snow mode button, correct?

Yes, if you turn off VDC, your car is still remains in AWD. In fact, Nissan "recommends" if you are stuck, you should turn off VDC to spin the wheels to get free. This is exactly what Nissan's head engineer for the GT-R says. He says that is the only reason VDC should ever be turned off with ATTESA E-TS equipped cars.

The 4-wheel ABLS system and ABS will still operate with the VDC system off. On ice with VDC off, you will spin all 4 wheels. For 4-ABLS to work, there needs to be at least some small amount of resistance on one of the 4 wheels.

Watch these:

YouTube - Infiniti G35 Snow Burnout

YouTube - Infiniti G35x start

YouTube - Burnout on ice - Infiniti FX35 - modded - movie theatre
Old 11-17-2009, 12:12 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Ok, more questions.

!. VDC does not affect the AWD aspects of your car.
2. VDC affects yaw control (think of spinning out at the racetrack) and as such, also monitors traction at all four corners. Turning it off would allow some tire spin on slippery surfaces.

TCS has a more limited role than VDC and is engineered differently for, say an Altima, than a G. Turning it off allows greater slip angles and tire spin, on any surface.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Mike S.

No no...my car was broken. Without causing a fight here, I did some rewiring and fried some fuses. The result was a constant VDC off and slip lights BOTH on steady. This is totally different than me/one just turning off the vdc.

My car was malfunctioning..SO...the G37x...was X no more...LOL.

BUT my car is fixed now..thanks a nice dealership.

BTW: Thank you GT-R, you answered my question about the VDC.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi Alt G

Wonder if that driver had to change underwear when that concrete light pole base appeared in the rear view mirror (and the car was going backwards)?!?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:47 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
i know that kid... he bought my GT Spec braces