Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Which gear was I in ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Tariq - G37x S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which gear was I in ??

Ok, I was cruising at approx 120 km/hr in normal D mode.

Then I hit the paddle shifter on the right side (upshift), and it shows number "7".

Same scenario, when i hit the paddle shifter once on the left side (downshift), it shows "5".

I'm assuming I was always in 7th gear, and upshifting showed 7th gear. But when I downshifted, it downshifted two gears. Am I correct?

Or was I in 6th gear all the time, upshifting to 7th, and once it returned back to D, downshifting to 5th?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:55 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
r u srs with this question.

You were obviously in 6th and upshifted to 7th, then you were in 6th and downshifted to 5th.

I dont even have AT and never drove one using the paddle shifters and i can figure that one out. sry.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:05 PM
js3350z

that is weird though that "cruising at approx 120 km/hr in normal D mode." that it would not be in 7th gear for maximum efficiency

should have gotten the 6mt, then this question wouldn't have to be asked, I would hope...
Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Tariq - G37x S

Originally Posted by Stoof@180Custom
r u srs with this question.

You were obviously in 6th and upshifted to 7th, then you were in 6th and downshifted to 5th.

I dont even have AT and never drove one using the paddle shifters and i can figure that one out. sry.
Yes, i'm serious with this question, and no it's not so obvious. If you don't have AT, then there's a good chance you're WRONG!

cruising at 120 km/hr i would assume for maximum fuel efficiency it would be set on 7th gear. Maybe it jumped two gears for more power when I downshifted.

I also noticed that when I upshifted - it showed 7th gear, perhaps I was already on this gear. Reason being is that the RPM's didn't change. But when I downshifted, it showed 5th gear and the RPM's did go up.

Can anyone else with greater intelligence and less arrogance comment?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tariq - G37x S
Ok, I was cruising at approx 120 km/hr in normal D mode.

Then I hit the paddle shifter on the right side (upshift), and it shows number "7".

Same scenario, when i hit the paddle shifter once on the left side (downshift), it shows "5".

I'm assuming I was always in 7th gear, and upshifting showed 7th gear. But when I downshifted, it downshifted two gears. Am I correct?

Or was I in 6th gear all the time, upshifting to 7th, and once it returned back to D, downshifting to 5th?
The scenerios were NOT the same. 1st time around you were in 7th.

Second time around, you were in 6th. Paddles will NEVER shift 2 gears.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:04 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
If you are in D mode, are cruising then upshift, it will show you final gear. In your case 7th. You didn't actually change gear, it just displayed the gear you were in.

When you downshifted to 5th, you had to be in 6th gear. Your car will only jump down a couple of gears if you are in D mode and floor it. Using the paddle shifter will never drop two gears with one input.
I know this first hand coz I've experienced it with my 5AT.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:22 PM
G4me

I think paddles might shift two gears or more "if" you hold the paddle down for a couple of seconds. It might rev match to the proper gear. I know my Dodge will do this if you hold the shifter over a couple of seconds. Something to try anyway.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:35 PM
STOOF

Buddy i have alot more intelligence than you think. I had a G35 5AT before my G37 and know these cars inside and out. I just said i never used the paddle shifters.

Like Mike said above the car will NEVER shift 2 gears at once, its still an AT after all.

What is 120kph anyways, like 70mph? It is VERY possible you were in 6th not 7th. On my 5AT i could be cruising on the hwy 60-70mph and i put it into tiptronic and id be in 4th not 5th.

So even if you think the car should be in the highest gear because youre cruising, it most likely isnt.

Sorry for "arrogance" in my earlier post, perhaps i responded that way because this seems to me to be basic knowledge for someone with extensive experience with these cars, like myself.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Hi Alt G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW ^^ 74.4 mph (more or less)
Old 11-09-2009, 12:07 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Buddy i have alot more intelligence than you think. I had a G35 5AT before my G37 and know these cars inside and out. I just said i never used the paddle shifters.

Like Mike said above the car will NEVER shift 2 gears at once, its still an AT after all.

What is 120kph anyways, like 70mph? It is VERY possible you were in 6th not 7th. On my 5AT i could be cruising on the hwy 60-70mph and i put it into tiptronic and id be in 4th not 5th.

So even if you think the car should be in the highest gear because youre cruising, it most likely isnt.

Sorry for "arrogance" in my earlier post, perhaps i responded that way because this seems to me to be basic knowledge for someone with extensive experience with these cars, like myself.
First off, what year 35 did you have? I'm think the auto trannys in the 37 are different than the 35s, not sure for the 07s though. Atleast my dads 05 M35 did not manually shift anything at all like the 37s do.

Also, that is completly FALSE about the car never shifting 2 gears at once. If your in auto then just hit the paddles yeah, but if your in full manual and hit the paddles twice really fast it will definatly downshift 2 gears. I do it on a daily basis.

Next, whenever you are just cruising and move the shifter over to DS it automatically drops 1 gear, then if you hit the paddle it will go down another gear. Its not dropping 2 gears at once, but it could be quick enough to where if you arent paying that much attention it may seem like it is going down 2 gears at once.

It wouldnt make sense for the car not to be in its highest gear at 75mph. thats on the high end of highway cruising speeds. The main point of the 7at is to help the fuel economy at highway speed. If it will only cruise in 6th at 75 then that completly defeats the purpose of it.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:30 AM
STOOF

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
First off, what year 35 did you have? I'm think the auto trannys in the 37 are different than the 35s, not sure for the 07s though. Atleast my dads 05 M35 did not manually shift anything at all like the 37s do.

Also, that is completly FALSE about the car never shifting 2 gears at once. If your in auto then just hit the paddles yeah, but if your in full manual and hit the paddles twice really fast it will definatly downshift 2 gears. I do it on a daily basis.

Next, whenever you are just cruising and move the shifter over to DS it automatically drops 1 gear, then if you hit the paddle it will go down another gear. Its not dropping 2 gears at once, but it could be quick enough to where if you arent paying that much attention it may seem like it is going down 2 gears at once.

It wouldnt make sense for the car not to be in its highest gear at 75mph. thats on the high end of highway cruising speeds. The main point of the 7at is to help the fuel economy at highway speed. If it will only cruise in 6th at 75 then that completly defeats the purpose of it.

I had an 06, and i used Tiptronic alot.

And im sorry to say but you proved yourself wrong about not shifting two gears at once. Yeah if you hit it TWICE itll shift TWO gears.

And OP said he was in Normal D mode. Not DS, or even M.

I know it doesnt make sense for the car to not be in its highest gear. Im just saying my experience from my G35 was if i was cruising at ~2500rpm in D and i moved it into tiptronic it would be in 4 majority of the time, not 5, which i agree would make more sense.

Maybe they changed it maybe they didnt. You should try it and see. Put it in Reg D and get on the hwy just drive normal rpms and pop it into M and see what gear it says your in.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:07 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I had an 06, and i used Tiptronic alot.

And im sorry to say but you proved yourself wrong about not shifting two gears at once. Yeah if you hit it TWICE itll shift TWO gears.

And OP said he was in Normal D mode. Not DS, or even M.

I know it doesnt make sense for the car to not be in its highest gear. Im just saying my experience from my G35 was if i was cruising at ~2500rpm in D and i moved it into tiptronic it would be in 4 majority of the time, not 5, which i agree would make more sense.

Maybe they changed it maybe they didnt. You should try it and see. Put it in Reg D and get on the hwy just drive normal rpms and pop it into M and see what gear it says your in.
Ok, yeah you have to hit it twice but it will still "shift" 2 gears. You were quoting mike like the car would never downshift 2 gears together no matter what, like you have to go 4,3,2 and cant go 4,2.

Anyways, im not sure how it was before, but when i'm in reg D on the hwy driving normal and move it over to DS the RPMs increase and it downshifts. Thats without pressing the paddles or anything, just moving the shifter to the side.Then from there if you hit the paddle down it drops one more gear, if you hit it up it goes back up a gear to the one you were cruising in normally.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:22 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Here's the thing, when you hit the paddle the first time, did you feel the car upshift?

I don't understand why it's such a big deal though
Old 11-09-2009, 01:27 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unfortunately flicking the paddles in anything but M won't tell you what gear you are in.

driving with the throttle down at any time you can be in 5th 6th 7th. throttle off probably 6th or 7th.
but unless you're already in manual you'll never be able to tell without being hooked up to a computer. 4 through 7th are kind of weird but it's normal cause of that whole fuel economy programming.

but yeah if you think you're dropping from 6th to 4th. you were probably in 5th. automatic gearboxes don't allow you to skip a gear in when braking like in manuals. without a clutch dis/engaging this can never happen on an auto. if your auto did this, your car would stall.

i even remember reading somewhere that there are some that even say in D the car only uses gears 2-7 and DS goes 1st through 6th. and when driving in D and drop into DS with the throttle is open (foot on the accelerator) the car should increase about 400rpm and/or downshift if you're in 6th or 7th. it was a lot more noticeable in the 5AT cause the throttle was always open.

my car like never uses 7th mainly cause my foot is generally on the throttle through 70-80.

Last edited by mw09g37; 11-09-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:23 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

That's different... if you go into manual mode on the older G35, it automatically drops you to 4th from 5th =P

Quick Reply: Which gear was I in ??