Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Which gear was I in ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:15 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike S.
Alex57 and Afar are right.

WHEW...lots of posts with crazy info thankfuly those guys (alex and afar) seem to know whats up.
I guess referencing the owner's manual is crazy?
Old 11-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
One thought: It depends whether your gear selector is in D or DS position when you hit your paddle shifter.

When you move the gear selector over to DS when cruising (7th) on the highway it will usually immediately downshift - the RPM rise confirms that which means if I am in 7 in D it will move to DS and be in 6. If I then move the shifter up or down (or use the paddle shifter) and enter full manual mode it will move to 7 or 5 respectively.

However with paddle shifters there's a caviat as noted in the owner's manual.

When you pull the paddle shifter while in the D
(Drive) position, the transmission will shift to
the upper or lower range temporarily. The transmission
will automatically return to the D (Drive)
position after a short period of time. If you want
to return to the D (Drive) position manually, pull

and hold the paddle shifter for about 1.5 seconds.

I believe what this means is if you're in D and hit the upshift paddle it will stay in 7. If you hit the downshift it will move to "the lower range" which is likely 5 (based on DS mode would have initially moved you into 6).
Quoting the manual is great...but you're wrong about which gear it will settle into. 6th and 7th are so close its silly. When going from D to DS..the tranny will drop to 5th. Same thing if you in D and click a downshift paddle......5th will appear.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:36 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mike S.
Quoting the manual is great...but you're wrong about which gear it will settle into. 6th and 7th are so close its silly. When going from D to DS..the tranny will drop to 5th. Same thing if you in D and click a downshift paddle......5th will appear.

Huh? I can tell you that moving from D to DS while cruising and then upshifting shows 7. If you're saying moving to DS automatically puts it from 7 to 5 then I don't agree but tell you what. I'll check that on the way home and see. But your response is not based on any facts.

BTW - the manual quote was specifically for using paddle shifters when in D as per the OPs scenario.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
It is fact.

Going from D to DS will automatically put you into 5th, if you are in 5th, 6th, or 7th in D.

the 5AT will automatically put you into 4th.

AFAIK, DS will never EVER shift into 5th on the 5AT unless you are going fast enough to warrant it, and DS will never go into 6th or 7th unless you are going fast enough to warrant it.

This is 100% confirmed with the 5AT, as it's been tested at the track.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:00 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
It is fact.

Going from D to DS will automatically put you into 5th, if you are in 5th, 6th, or 7th in D.

AFAIK, DS will never EVER shift into 5th on the 5AT unless you are going fast enough to warrant it, and DS will never go into 6th or 7th unless you are going fast enough to warrant it.

Um false. If your cruising on the hwy in DS it stays in 4th but as soon as you set the cruise it shifts to 5th.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:13 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mike
It is fact.

Results: Cruising in D @ 70 MPH (RPM confirms 7th gear) and move it to DS:
  • RPMs flare as if going to 5 but within 1 second settles in 6.
  • Tried this several times with low to moderate throttle while moving to DS. Same result every time. Moderate throttle results in DS settling in 6 (confirmed by RPM).
  • Upshifting at this point shows 7M
  • Same scenario but downshifting from DS shows 5M, even if I do this in that brief period before it settles in 6.
Hence the logic of the TCM seems to indicate moving from D to DS will prefer 6 even though it briefly revs matches to 5, and shifting confirms it moves up or down from 6.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So as we pointed out...D to DS at speed drops it 5th.

BTW: Clicking a downshift from D will bring up 5th!

Glad you see the light.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:05 AM
blindman8858

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car will downshift automatically for you. I have had it happen where I downshifted just about the same time the car was going to do it for me it resulted in me dropping 2 gears instead of one: First drop came from the computer, second from my paddle shift input. It was rather odd, but nonetheless happened.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:01 PM
rbacag37

Here is what I got with my test (09 G37 Sport)

Going 75 MPH in D and not changing gas input:

1. Using the left paddle shifter (just 1 pull) does shift it down to 5th.
2. Using the right paddle shifter it shows that the car is in 7th gear but it does not shift. It is already in that gear.
3. If I use the right paddle first so that the 7th gear is selected then use the left shifter it only shifts down 1 gear to 6th.

I tested this at least 15 times and it never changed. I also got the same behavior using the autostick.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:47 PM
jmark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool. Good to know.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 AM
allagaroo

Originally Posted by rbacag37

2. Using the right paddle shifter it shows that the car is in 7th gear but it does not shift. It is already in that gear.
3. If I use the right paddle first so that the 7th gear is selected then use the left shifter it only shifts down 1 gear to 6th.

I tested this at least 15 times and it never changed. I also got the same behavior using the autostick.
If you were doing 75 MPH in D and hit "kick down" which gear would it go into? I'm thinking 5th as well. If you were in 5th and kicked down would it go into 4th or 3rd?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:26 AM
rbacag37

Once the car was in 5th it then went to 4th. I could not get it to go into 3rd as the RPMs were way too high.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 AM
allagaroo

what are max rpms for 7speed AT in each gear?????

I found this in manual for MT but couldn't locate it for AT.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by rbacag37

This is perfectly logical and sensible for "D"--do only and exactly as the manual paddle inputs would suggest with one exception--the two gear drop with the left paddle signal at highway speed, which is warranted due to the lack of torque in the 3.7 at lower rpms.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
This is perfectly logical and sensible for "D"--do only and exactly as the manual paddle inputs would suggest with one exception--the two gear drop with the left paddle signal at highway speed, which is warranted due to the lack of torque in the 3.7 at lower rpms.
Now that I actually have my car, I realize that when you activate manual mode by touching a paddle, it returns to "D" after only a few seconds!! What is the point of that!?!?!?!