Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Which gear was I in ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:24 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
Ok, yeah you have to hit it twice but it will still "shift" 2 gears. You were quoting mike like the car would never downshift 2 gears together no matter what, like you have to go 4,3,2 and cant go 4,2.

Anyways, im not sure how it was before, but when i'm in reg D on the hwy driving normal and move it over to DS the RPMs increase and it downshifts. Thats without pressing the paddles or anything, just moving the shifter to the side.Then from there if you hit the paddle down it drops one more gear, if you hit it up it goes back up a gear to the one you were cruising in normally.
I should be more clear. The car will never shift more than once per input. If you tell it to shift more than once, then it will shift more than once, provided the input is appropriate and not overlapping.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:00 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah thats what i was trying to get across, it wont skip a gear, if you hit it twice itll go 2 gears, 1 at a time. it wont go 5-3 itll go 5-4-3.

And i know it down shifts when you go into DS mode, but what about when you go into M?

As far as i remember with my 35 going from D to M the car did not downshift. And believe me ive driven manual for the last 16 years, i know how to downshift. lol

Also, getting sorta back to topic, OP was in regular D mode, not DS, not M. So in all honesty i dont have much experience in that area. I would just assume, with all common sense, if you upshift and it says 7, you mustve been in 6th. And if you downshift and it says 5, you mustve been in 6th.

OP you should try this, get on the hwy doing 120 or whatever, while in D, upshift til youre in 7, keep the car at the same speed and rpm's and wait for the 7 to go away and then upshift again, see if it makes the 7 reappear or not. Just curious.

Last edited by STOOF; 11-09-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:17 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Simple solution. In Manual mode, see what your RPM are at 120 km/h (or any reference constant speed) in 7, 6 and 5. Then put it in D and see what your RPMs are and match it to the prior results. In normal cruising you will see that D will be in 7.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When i am cruisng on the highway and tap the right paddle the car STAYS in 7th gear but shows 7 on the display. No actual shift occurs. When I tap the left paddle it does downshift 2 gears initially to 5th. After that its one gear change (up 1 or down 1) per tap of either paddle. 7 and 6th gear are so close together, downshifting 7-6 does absolutely nothing. Infiniti should have put 3-4 gears closer and 6-7 further appart IMO.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:24 PM
saltfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It actually depends on the OP's throttle input.

If the OP was traveling at that speed under light throttle input in D the car is going to be in 7th gear and upshifting via the pedal shifters will only bring it into manual mode temporarily and display it in the dash.

If OP was sorta aggressive then its a possibility that it could've been in 6th gear.

As a side note, it would've been nice if it displayed which gear the car is in when in D and DS like how it does when its in Manual mode (example M1-M7, S1-S7, D1-D7).

Last edited by saltfish; 11-09-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:05 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex57r
When i am cruisng on the highway and tap the right paddle the car STAYS in 7th gear but shows 7 on the display. No actual shift occurs. When I tap the left paddle it does downshift 2 gears initially to 5th. After that its one gear change (up 1 or down 1) per tap of either paddle. 7 and 6th gear are so close together, downshifting 7-6 does absolutely nothing. Infiniti should have put 3-4 gears closer and 6-7 further appart IMO.
One thought: It depends whether your gear selector is in D or DS position when you hit your paddle shifter.

When you move the gear selector over to DS when cruising (7th) on the highway it will usually immediately downshift - the RPM rise confirms that which means if I am in 7 in D it will move to DS and be in 6. If I then move the shifter up or down (or use the paddle shifter) and enter full manual mode it will move to 7 or 5 respectively.

However with paddle shifters there's a caviat as noted in the owner's manual.

When you pull the paddle shifter while in the D
(Drive) position, the transmission will shift to
the upper or lower range temporarily. The transmission
will automatically return to the D (Drive)
position after a short period of time. If you want
to return to the D (Drive) position manually, pull
and hold the paddle shifter for about 1.5 seconds.

I believe what this means is if you're in D and hit the upshift paddle it will stay in 7. If you hit the downshift it will move to "the lower range" which is likely 5 (based on DS mode would have initially moved you into 6).
Old 11-09-2009, 03:47 PM
afar1
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
WOW!!
Here is the deal: in D mode, going 50-55 MPH and above, so that the transmission is in 7th gear, if you shift the right paddle, you'll see the 7M display, wait for a few seconds and it goes back to D by itself; no gear shifting occurs, you will not feel anything, no change in the RPM.
Now, in D mode, going 50-55 MPH and above, automatic transmission in 7th gear, if you shift the left paddle, the display will show 5M and you'll feel pushed back into your seat as the transmission shifts down TWO gears, from 7th to 5th. This will also happen driving in the D mode, above 50-55 MPH and shifting to DS, again shifts down TWO gears. These are the only 2 scenarios that the transmission shifts down TWO gears by one shift.
why does it shift down 2 gears? as someone mentioned earlier, you won't get much boost going from 7th to 6th, so since this is a sports sedan, Infiniti decided to let the driver know what this baby can do. Want a stronger push back into your seat? push the throttle down gently while shifting the left paddle at the same time or when shifting D to DS.
This did not happen in my 2004 G35 sedan or 2007 G35 coupe, as they only had 5 gears and no paddle shifters, lots of fun, though.
So back to the original question, way back when...Yes, Tariq, you were in the 7th gear, when you shifted the left paddle, RPM went up, you felt a rush and the display showed 5M, thus, the sport transmission reved you down 2 gears since it sensed that you wanted to fly. Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Tariq - G37x S

Originally Posted by Alex57r
That's exactly what happen in my situation:

I'm assuming that I was already in 7th gear, tap on the right paddle, and it shows 7th (obviously cause it can't go any higher). No actual shift occurs. The RPM stayed the same. That's what brings the question, was I already in 7th?

Same situation, once D mode appears again, I tap the left paddle and it shows 5th gear. So i'm confused now...was i in 6th or 7th?

I think i'm in 7th, but then why did it show 5th after I downshifted once? So that's why I'm assuming maybe it dropped two gears.

In Canada, the highway speed limit is 100 km/hr. Cars normally go 120 km/hr. Any faster, and you really risk getting a ticket. I would also assume that for fuel efficiency, that if you're going 120 km/hr that D mode will put you to 7th gear.

This is all in D mode.....not DS ...not M
Old 11-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Tariq - G37x S

Originally Posted by Stoof@180Custom
Buddy i have alot more intelligence than you think. I had a G35 5AT before my G37 and know these cars inside and out. I just said i never used the paddle shifters.

Like Mike said above the car will NEVER shift 2 gears at once, its still an AT after all.

What is 120kph anyways, like 70mph? It is VERY possible you were in 6th not 7th. On my 5AT i could be cruising on the hwy 60-70mph and i put it into tiptronic and id be in 4th not 5th.

So even if you think the car should be in the highest gear because youre cruising, it most likely isnt.

Sorry for "arrogance" in my earlier post, perhaps i responded that way because this seems to me to be basic knowledge for someone with extensive experience with these cars, like myself.
Hey....I know I over reacted a bit,

But I posted this question for my knowledge and for others too who may not know. What may be obvious to you may not be obvious to me. I'm relatively new to this forum and I can ask anything I want. You need to respect that. No offence, but in all honesty, if you think it's a dumb question, then you should just shut the F up and move on to another post.

I know you know a lot about cars, there's no question about it. I don't, and that's why I'm asking.

Word.

Last edited by Tariq - G37x S; 11-09-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Tariq - G37x S

Originally Posted by afar1
WOW!!
Here is the deal: in D mode, going 50-55 MPH and above, so that the transmission is in 7th gear, if you shift the right paddle, you'll see the 7M display, wait for a few seconds and it goes back to D by itself; no gear shifting occurs, you will not feel anything, no change in the RPM.
Now, in D mode, going 50-55 MPH and above, automatic transmission in 7th gear, if you shift the left paddle, the display will show 5M and you'll feel pushed back into your seat as the transmission shifts down TWO gears, from 7th to 5th. This will also happen driving in the D mode, above 50-55 MPH and shifting to DS, again shifts down TWO gears. These are the only 2 scenarios that the transmission shifts down TWO gears by one shift.
why does it shift down 2 gears? as someone mentioned earlier, you won't get much boost going from 7th to 6th, so since this is a sports sedan, Infiniti decided to let the driver know what this baby can do. Want a stronger push back into your seat? push the throttle down gently while shifting the left paddle at the same time or when shifting D to DS.
This did not happen in my 2004 G35 sedan or 2007 G35 coupe, as they only had 5 gears and no paddle shifters, lots of fun, though.
So back to the original question, way back when...Yes, Tariq, you were in the 7th gear, when you shifted the left paddle, RPM went up, you felt a rush and the display showed 5M, thus, the sport transmission reved you down 2 gears since it sensed that you wanted to fly. Good luck and have fun.
Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I think happened but wasn't quite sure.

While cruising at 120 km/hr, i wanted to know that I was in the best gear for fuel efficiency. What threw me off was that once i downshifted, it went to 5th instead of 6th which confused me a bit.

Last edited by Tariq - G37x S; 11-09-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:05 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tariq - G37x S
Hey....I know I over reacted a bit,

But I posted this question for my knowledge and for others too who may not know. What may be obvious to you may not be obvious to me. I'm relatively new to this forum and I can ask anything I want. You need to respect that. No offence, but in all honesty, if you think it's a dumb question, then you should just shut the F up and move on to another post.

I know you know a lot about cars, there's no question about it. I don't, and that's why I'm asking.

Word.
Absolutely bro you can ask anything you want.

At first the question just seemed really basic to me, hence my reaction. But after going through this "debate" it was obviously a good question, which is why i continued participating in this thread. Turns out ive learned something too. Not to go back to A/T lol.

I think SkyMG37x had the best solution, put it in M mode and see what rpms you do at that speed in each gear 5-7, then youll know what gear youre in when in D mode at that speed.

As per your last post saying you wanted to know that you were in the best gear for fuel efficiency, why not just keep it in M and shift up to 7th when cruising on the hwy.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Tariq - G37x S

Originally Posted by Stoof@180Custom

As per your last post saying you wanted to know that you were in the best gear for fuel efficiency, why not just keep it in M and shift up to 7th when cruising on the hwy.
I guess I can, but since i'm cruising....i'd rather let the computer do the shifting. If it didn't cruise on 7th on D, then I'd have no choice but to put it in M mode and shift to 7th.

Especially on a longer drive, I may forget that I'm in manual mode since I drive in D the majority of the time.

Anyhow, Thanks to all for all the replies.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alex57 and Afar are right.

WHEW...lots of posts with crazy info thankfuly those guys (alex and afar) seem to know whats up.

To confirm.

When in "D" at speeds above 40 or 45..the tranny settles into 7th gear. Slapping the gear shift over to "DS" will drop it down 2 gears to 5th...even if you never change your position on the gas. The car won't really accelerate as your really not giving it anymore gas. After a bit (dunno...maybe 20-30 seconds)...it will upshift back to 7th..while still in DS.

While hitting the downshift paddle when in "D" above 40-45..the car will drop to "5". The car will eventually go back to "D" depending on how your driving.

And as a side note...the tranny really isn't going 7-5. Its really going 7-6-5...since the auto can't really skip gears.

The real answer is that one "tap" of the downshift paddle will drop it two gears if the car is in D. If its in manual mode...one tap up or down is one gear up or down.

PS...7 Gears is all marketing. The old 5sp with a taller 5th gear would have been fine. OK...maybe a 6sp auto...but 7 gears is just for hype.

Last edited by Mike S.; 11-09-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:18 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Was on the hwy today and messed around with it for a bit. Just driving normal at 65-70 and move the shifter from D to DS it will drop one gear. With it in cruise however it stays in the same gear.

I think the must have change around how it is managed on the 7AT. The posts above explain it well. I think since the gears in the 7AT are closer together it does downshift twice. Like someone above said, going from 7-6 is not a big change.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes Wake...this is for 7AT.

Quick Reply: Which gear was I in ??