Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Holding Gear in DS mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:26 AM
newg37ontheroad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holding Gear in DS mode

Hi, I dont know if this issue has been discussed in this forum before or not. When I put the car on DS mode and drive (say above 40 mph) the RPM flare to around 3k and holds it there even if I brake or try to speed up. Only time it releases the RPM if I brake to stop.

It's like a long holding RPM in DS mode. Has anyone experienced this and is it normal? I think the DS mode is only to give you a sporty feeling of the car and let you feel the gear shifts. But why is the RPM flaring to 3k and holding it there?
Old 11-08-2009, 12:55 AM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
DS mode is designed to provide max performance in terms of engine output and gear selection. Holding the RPM at 3K keeps the VQ37VHR at the bottom of its power curve. Rather than coming off economy mode when the engine must respond from near idle or lower RPM, it comes 'on cam' much more rapidly. Use a rapid throttle opening and the gearbox shifts down one or two gears and the revs shoot up quickly.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:26 AM
G4me

Originally Posted by dkmura
DS mode is designed to provide max performance in terms of engine output and gear selection. Holding the RPM at 3K keeps the VQ37VHR at the bottom of its power curve. Rather than coming off economy mode when the engine must respond from near idle or lower RPM, it comes 'on cam' much more rapidly. Use a rapid throttle opening and the gearbox shifts down one or two gears and the revs shoot up quickly.
^+1000000

Try DS mode in the twisties and you will be amazed. It keeps you in the perfect RPM range, better than using a manual or paddle shifters IMHO.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:05 PM
newg37ontheroad

so what it's doing is normal from what yall are saying. It just was uncomfortable driving at 45mph with the RPM stuck at 3k and it felt like it needs a gear change but it's holding the lower gear for a longgggg time. You pretty much have to floor the pedal to feel a little smoother again or brake to get that RPM released.

It was a feeling that the lower gear was being held for a while.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:21 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep its normal. Thats the whole point in DS mode hence the "S" for SPORT. I've figured out that if you want it to shift down in DS sometimes it will do it when you set the cruise.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:12 PM
saltfish

its normal, i experience the same thing as well. What i do is just speed up a little so that it upshifts and then go light on the pedal.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:10 PM
newg37ontheroad

thanks a bunch guys! mine does it whether it's in cruise or not. I agree with you saltfish...I speed up a little for it to upshift and then it's normal again.

Guess it's the way DS is supposed to give you the sporty feeling; just didn't understand how holding the lower gear can give us the sporty feeling!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:42 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Think of DS mode as being reserved for the most aggressive driving mode. Infiniti engineers spent a lot of time and effort in developing the software to replicate the type of aggressive shift patterns and throttle openings needed for maximum acceleration.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:46 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmura
Think of DS mode as being reserved for the most aggressive driving mode. Infiniti engineers spent a lot of time and effort in developing the software to replicate the type of aggressive shift patterns and throttle openings needed for maximum acceleration.
Yes, think "car chase through mountain roads" rather than "faster shifting and higher redline for street racing" - although it is okay for the latter...
Old 11-09-2009, 09:21 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll notice that if you're in DS mode and drive it really conservative it will shift fairly normal but as soon as you accelerate even mildly agressive it will hold the lower gear almost indefinitely until you either accelerate to a point high on the power curve or brake to a stop. This is normal.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:38 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
Yes, think "car chase through mountain roads" rather than "faster shifting and higher redline for street racing" - although it is okay for the latter...
I can't and won't condone street racing. Use DS mode at your local road racing track. There's plenty of High Performance Driving Experiences (HPDEs) or Performance Driving Xperience (PDX) that allow street cars to participate.