Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37S Oil Consumption @ 40k

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:10 PM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mindonmatter
Wow, way too long-winded for me. I'll just say three things, then I'll leave you alone with your keyboard.

1.) Does it not seem strange you are more upset than the people who actually have this problem(in this car)?
2.) As far as the valve covers.....You seem to be the one that's so curious. Pull the damn things off and look at them yourself. I'm interested in seeing all this burned sludge you keep talking about.
2.) I agree with you on the tranny. Very quirky.

Good'ay.
1. Not upset with the people with the problem at all. That would be
ignorant....Must be your mind over matter...fact vs fiction you've
created...just not truthful

2. As usual, you missed the point....Nissan is not talking or providing
any information to owners who have engine replacement....in fact
they won't let anyone see the engines....get my point...try real hard
I'll bet your stupid worthless posts against my stupid worhless posts
that those engines have some real funky oil cooking going on in
their valve trains.

3. Agree (maybe we can do a man hug and make up....NOT) the
7ATs have a mind of their own....but I can say that for the last
5 days I have been very impressed with my 7AT in "Snow Mode"
it has performed flawlessly without any of it's "Normal Mode"
quirks.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:20 PM
JonfromCB

Originally Posted by trippen
12 out of how many Zs and Gs on the road ?
Food for thought....That's 12 Zs that belong to owners who are
A. Talking about it.
B. Active Forum members

The majority of Z and G owners aren't like you and I...they have
a real life and don't even know these forums exist.. I'm semi-retired
and sit in front of three computer screeens daily....what's your
excuse? My point is ......there are alot more than 12 Zs with
replace VQ37s....don't be so naive There are also at least
a dozen posts of G engine changes on this forum as well. ....read
all the posts in this thread and then believe whatever you want.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:00 PM
mindonmatter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonfromCB
1. Not upset with the people with the problem at all. That would be
ignorant....Must be your mind over matter...fact vs fiction you've
created...just not truthful
Enough of the dramatics already. Re-read what I said. Try to comprehend.

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
2. As usual, you missed the point....Nissan is not talking or providing
any information to owners who have engine replacement....in fact
they won't let anyone see the engines....get my point...try real hard
I'll bet your stupid worthless posts against my stupid worhless posts
that those engines have some real funky oil cooking going on in
their valve trains.
You do own this car, correct? So you're saying that Nissan is preventing you from seeing the inside of the engine, the engine that you own? Take the valve covers off and take a look for yourself. If you lack the skills needed to take the valve covers off, then go pay a shop to do it. No one is keeping you from seeing anything.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:06 PM
toddmorr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tend to site with mindonmatter on this one.
I don't understand why JonfromCB isn't telling us about his personal experience with his personal car. Views about other people's cars are just second hand info. Views about a group of other cars are even more speculative.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:51 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
I don't have enough experience with this engine to offer any kind of of meaningful insight moving forward, but two of my friends with G35 have had oil consumption issue and Infiniti ended up replacing their engine in both cases. Infiniti did it only because there was hard evidence of consistent oil changes done by dealership. That's the reason why I chose to have all the maintenance work done by the stealership. Yeah I might be spending extra $$ by having them do it but to me that is worth peace of mind. Best of luck and I hope it all works out.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:01 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

The last 3 cars I've owned had similar threads on similar forums about excessive oil consumption (all different makes) so this is nothing new in the car forum world. Of them I had some consumption on one of them (Subaru) from just about day one. If you go to the WRX forums you'll see a lot of posters claiming Mobil1 is the cause . When people pressed some of them their driving styles seemed to have more to do with it.

There are many reasons for oil consumption which may or may not be the engine. I'd be interested to hear about the driving styles of many that have had this problem.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:13 PM
juicybusa

Post had no definitive value-deleted

Last edited by juicybusa; 12-27-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:12 PM
1BADV6

Well well, looks like the oil consumption is starting to make known. I ditched my 37 because it was buring a quart around every 1500 miles. Remember guys, the 35's are getting replaced all around, and the 37 isn't that much different.

Burning oil isn't normal, and should not be expected by any manufacturer. Saying it is expected, or is OK, is only proving that the quality control in some companies is dwindling in a hurry. I buy a new car and expect to be problem free, not have my cam gears and timing sensor replaced within 10K miles of buying the car--especially when it sits for half the year.

I admit I am now in the market for a G35 from 2003-2004, however I can be tolerable of an 80K mile engine burning some oil versus the new one I just got rid of.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
There has to be a reason some 37's burn oil and others don't. Anyone ever checked compression or seen the rings from an engine that burns a quart in 1500 miles? I'm guessing there may be broken rings?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:13 AM
JonfromCB

Originally Posted by PureNick
1,500-1,600 mile break in on the factory oil... never went over 4k and never went above 70mph. Mobil 1 5W-30 ever since.

M1.....BINGO! It just can't take the heat in the VVEL system
or stand up to more than 3750 in this engine. I still find it hard
to believe that dealerships are putting it in the VQ37. Way too
many documented bad outcomes with it to ingnore the issue.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:11 AM
shabbo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G-Rocket
YEAH!!! THE SAD TRUTH!
I am at about 20k and my G37S 6MT uses about 2qts every 5k miles. I have used only the Nissan ester oil. I ran the oil consumption test and they said it was within the normal ranges of oil usage. Back then I thought I just bumped into another funny mechanic.... From Infinity USA said that an oil consumption problem exist if the car uses more than 1qt / 1,000 miles.

P.S. I know 3 other G37 owners and 2- 370Z, all of them with about the same oil consumption problem. HOWEVER, many folks on this forum DO NOT have any issues.
same here...I'm just keeping a close eye and letting the dealership do all the oil changes.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 AM
D'oh

I have a 350Z and am looking to move into a G37S (have two kids that I will need to tote around soon).

Anyhow, just wanted to share that I have 155,000 miles on my 2003 Z, and have had no significant engine issues. I've used Mobil 1 since my first oil change, and have done probably 25 AutoX and 15 Trackdays.

Interesting to hear about the potential issues with oil consumption, but as a poster above me said, these types of issues are on every message board for every MFG.

I also look at the subaru STI forums (the other car I am considering) and they all complain about various engine issues there as well.

Best of luck to you all, and hopefully to me as well if I take the plunge to a G.

-D'oh!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:03 AM
JonfromCB

Originally Posted by D'oh
I have a 350Z and am looking to move into a G37S (have two kids that I will need to tote around soon).

Anyhow, just wanted to share that I have 155,000 miles on my 2003 Z, and have had no significant engine issues. I've used Mobil 1 since my first oil change, and have done probably 25 AutoX and 15 Trackdays.

Interesting to hear about the potential issues with oil consumption, but as a poster above me said, these types of issues are on every message board for every MFG.

I also look at the subaru STI forums (the other car I am considering) and they all complain about various engine issues there as well.

Best of luck to you all, and hopefully to me as well if I take the plunge to a G.

-D'oh!
D'oh, M1 worked fine with earlier VQs...it's the VVEL engines
with the issues. They have a completely different valve train
from your Z.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:34 AM
D'oh

Thanks for the confirmation JonfromCB. I guess it's a little like the boilerplate at the bottom of company statements: Past success does not guarantee future performance.

-D'oh!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:41 AM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
UPDATE ON MY OIL CONSUMPTION TEST AND WHAT INFINITI IS TELLING ME TO DO...

Guys a few weeks ago I took the car in to get the oil level checked it had only been about 2500miles since the last oil change and I am using M1 Synthetic. They had to fill the oil back up without even completing the full regular maintenance schedule of 3750miles and they said it was 26mm low from the Full mark. I am not exactly sure on what that translates too but they filled the thing back up and told me the engine was consumming oil and they where going to talk to Infiniti.

I just got a call a few hours ago and this is what they told me:
Infiniti said that they will have to remove the engine, open it up and do a compression test and other tests (who knows what???) in order to determine whether there is something abnormal, they where also telling me since I am second owner of this car that if there is any sludge on the engine it is a no go and they will not cover any warranty issues and I will have to cover the cost of this investigation due to impropper maintenance ( I have a full history of the car and it has always been taken care of in infiniti dealerships and serviced at the right intervals so Im not sure why there trying to push this one through) Then if they determine that something is wrong they will replace the engine, if not I will have to cover all costs of the investigation $550 DOLLARS!!! (not sure I like this idea nor the one about opening the engine up just to explore)

What's your thought about all this? I'm not sure if I should just live with the oil consumption or let them break into my engine.

Quick Reply: G37S Oil Consumption @ 40k