Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

So You're Saying My G37 Burned Most of Its Oil in 5 Months and 4000 Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:12 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, that's actually true too. I'd run Redline or Amsoil if I wanted to do super long OCI's, but to keep my warranty intact, I'm running Pennzoil Platinum (which actually gets GREAT reviews on bobistheoilguy) during my warranty period. I may switch to an Ester oil later on for even longer oil change intervals....then again, I'll probably have a different car by that point.

But for now, i'm just waiting for the Mobil 1 freaks to start chiming in. ha ha ha.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:21 AM
Da Hashi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i agree mobil 1 people are freaks hahahahaha I rather run Motul or Elf...Im running Motul 300v and im at 36k no probs......I also did read that article....penz only compairs to its own blends....and it only meets and is approved by many manufactures but does not exceed their standards...also Nissan was not on that list
Old 10-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Please direct this back from another synthetic oil comparison pissing match back to something resembling the original topic.

Last edited by Black Betty; 10-23-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:29 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Yeah....sorry bout that. I still don't believe he consumed that much oil in that short a period of time. Granted, Infiniti has an "allowable" amount of oil that can be consumed, but DAMN....to say they're going to have to tear down the motor and rebuild...that's crazy. But....moral of the story here is folks: if you fill up your gas tank once a week, make a mental note to check the oil dipstick once your car has cooled down. Doesn't hurt a thing and will protect you from lack of oil failure.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Da Hashi

Sorry about that Black Betty
Old 10-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Hooper

Well, after a week, here's what they did: changed the oil (duh), diagnosed the error as a failure in the intake valve camsprockets. They replaced two of them with the camshaft position sensor, gasket, and solenoid. All under warranty.

Still don't think it was an oil issue (and no one else I've talked to does either), but I'm just happy to be rolling again.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:40 AM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not being critical, I can certainly see how anyone could just assume that
their oil level was fine in a newer car, especially someone who does their own
changes and knows when the next one is due....but I would bet that the
issue with the dealer is that the oil was almost empty rather than the fact
that the customer did their own oil change or didn't have a reciept. The
real take-home message here for VQ37 owners here is CHECK YOUR OIL
ONCE A WEEK. My guess is owners who do slow break-ins are using
alot of oil between changes. There have been alot of posts and articles
about what to me is excessive oil use in newer VQ37s...Zs, Muranos, Infinitis and
Maximas. ...I'm going to check my oil level right now.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:18 AM
stardust
Premier Member

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
There have been alot of posts and articles about what to me is excessive oil use in newer VQ37s...Zs, Muranos, Infinitis and Maximas.

The Maxima and Murano both use the VQ35DE, they dont even use the 35HR.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:10 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
what dealerhship is charging you $70 for an oil change. infiniti of annapolis charges $45. i'm capable of doing most of the mechanical work on my car, but i'll pay the extra $25 every three or four months just for the foolproof maintenance history and convenience of it all. it ends up being $100 extra a year for peace of mind on my $40k car.

edit: i would also advise talking to an experienced nissan service tech or rep regarding switching to synthetic oil before complete engine break in. i've had more than one nissan guy tell me not to do it until at least 10k miles on vq engines.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:13 AM
G35Cfrenzy

When I was at Infiniti of Nashua last spring getting my TPMS reset for my Volk wheels and aftermarket sensors the Service Manager asked me if I had changed the oil yet. He specifically warned me against EVER using synthetic oil in these G37 engines as he said that synthetic isnt suited for the valve train and that our engines tend to consume Synthetic like a hungry bear going after raw meat. He said that it would happen so fast that you wouldnt even know it and youll be driving around without oil. Then he went on to say that I should only be bringing my car to them for service and scheduled oil changes with Nissan Ester oil. I'm not sure if this was just a scare tactic but it sounds to me like this actually just happened to HOOPER!! I'm sure glad to hear that they fixed it under warranty.
Has anyone else experienced excessive oil consumption using synthetic??
Old 10-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Cfrenzy
When I was at Infiniti of Nashua last spring getting my TPMS reset for my Volk wheels and aftermarket sensors the Service Manager asked me if I had changed the oil yet. He specifically warned me against EVER using synthetic oil in these G37 engines as he said that synthetic isnt suited for the valve train and that our engines tend to consume Synthetic like a hungry bear going after raw meat. He said that it would happen so fast that you wouldnt even know it and youll be driving around without oil. Then he went on to say that I should only be bringing my car to them for service and scheduled oil changes with Nissan Ester oil. I'm not sure if this was just a scare tactic but it sounds to me like this actually just happened to HOOPER!! I'm sure glad to hear that they fixed it under warranty.
Has anyone else experienced excessive oil consumption using synthetic??
Anytime someone at the dealership tells you that you should ONLY bring the car to them for proper service, you should take everything from that point on as 100% BS. He's telling you half truths and outright lies to scare you into bringing your car only to them so they can make more money. I have has synthetic in my car for almost 7K (haven't changed it yet) miles now. No consumption.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Anytime someone at the dealership tells you that you should ONLY bring the car to them for proper service, you should take everything from that point on as 100% BS. He's telling you half truths and outright lies to scare you into bringing your car only to them so they can make more money. I have has synthetic in my car for almost 7K (haven't changed it yet) miles now. No consumption.
Ditto. I changed to synthetic at the first oil change and now have 9400 miles with absolutely no consumption.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:58 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wonder if the '37 engine would perform better (i.e. a few more ponies) with esther oil?? any thoughts?

but then again, I'll never "feel" a few more ponies, but I wonder if the engine will last longer and perform better at higher mileage with esther oil...
Old 10-25-2009, 06:49 PM
JonfromCB

Originally Posted by stardust

The Maxima and Murano both use the VQ35DE, they dont even use the 35HR.

Premier Stardust (user?)
Perhaps you could try to be more constructive rather
than Sophmorically critical. The topic is excessive oil use...
I didn't say those cars use the VQ37 did I???? I referred to
those models because there are lots of posts on various forms
of those cars using excess oil....all models, Nissan is recommending ester oil
for. Get with the program if you're gonna raise your flag....LOL

Last edited by JonfromCB; 10-25-2009 at 07:10 PM.