Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

g37 seems to have alot of transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Purrrsiandaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g37 seems to have alot of transmission issues?

well good thing i joined this forum before making the leap to buy a g37 sedan. it seems there are alot of transmission problems when i go through this thread. i have no idea what you guys are talking about with the tcm or ecm flashes or whatever, but it doesnt sound fun. im not planning on getting a manual, but still it is a little disconcerting seeing some of these threads with respect to the auto. hopefully the 2010 model will fix it?
Old 09-19-2009, 04:11 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the issue is the downshift from 2 -> 1. Some people felt it was harsh so Infiniti released a flash to smooth out the shift pattern. Personally it doesn't both me so I've never taken it in to have it flashed.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:14 PM
wireboltman

Doesn't bother me a bit, either-
Old 09-19-2009, 04:41 PM
g37musings

I would not consider that it has a lot of issues. However, some have had to have the ECU reflashed to eliminate rough downshifts.

I have heard very little about transmissions failing. And all these cars are still under warranty at this point, so should not be an issue.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Riley
Registered Member

Over the next year, you might expect some tweaks to the program.
I'm still in the breakin period and haven't wound it out but so far it's fine.

The DS mode is a little wierd how it won't downshift when I would but it's not that bad...
Old 09-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 7AT is a mess..sort of. Its a good unit it seems, but needs more software tuning.

I had the rough downshift TSB. It is actually misleading b/c the downshift was never rough. It was "agressive" in that it would drop to the lower gear 3rd or whatever gear it was (smoothly), but at too high of a speed (maybe 25mph). The result was too much engine braking. Some people report not having it and some don't mind it b/c its sporty. However, I'd veture to say if you sampled the radom public and had them drive the car, 80% would think something was wrong. The TSB fixed this.

Issues remaining:
1. RPM's jump up when accelerating at the shift point (3 to 4?). It seems like its slipping..but it's not. Its the variable torque converter quickly unlocking and then relocking again as the shift happens. The result is a quick jump of a couple hundred rpms.

It does this maybe once or twice after restarting a warm car. Its not a constant occurance. If you started the car and drove in city traffic for hours it would only do it on the 1st or 2nd block.

2. I have a hars 3-2 downshift somtimes/randomly when comming to a stop. The rmps almost go TOO LOW in 3rd gear and then kinda "bumps" as it jumps up to say 1100 rmps in 2nd.

Again...i think all this is software related.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:41 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Riley
Over the next year, you might expect some tweaks to the program.
I'm still in the breakin period and haven't wound it out but so far it's fine.

The DS mode is a little wierd how it won't downshift when I would but it's not that bad...
The DS mode is meant for track and twisty country road duty - supposed to hold gears so that when you go into a corner at 5k rpm, and then brake, and then try to power out of the corner, you are still in the right gear. That's the theory, anyway. Plus, it rev-matches on downshifts.

I like like faster, harsher shifts - I have earnestly tried to train my 7AT to do just that. If anything, it's not aggressive enough. I'd say the my G's biggest problem is the throttle lag, with the transmission being second.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:43 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike S.
The 7AT is a mess..sort of. Its a good unit it seems, but needs more software tuning.

I had the rough downshift TSB. It is actually misleading b/c the downshift was never rough. It was "agressive" in that it would drop to the lower gear 3rd or whatever gear it was (smoothly), but at too high of a speed (maybe 25mph). The result was too much engine braking. Some people report not having it and some don't mind it b/c its sporty. However, I'd veture to say if you sampled the radom public and had them drive the car, 80% would think something was wrong. The TSB fixed this.

Issues remaining:
1. RPM's jump up when accelerating at the shift point (3 to 4?). It seems like its slipping..but it's not. Its the variable torque converter quickly unlocking and then relocking again as the shift happens. The result is a quick jump of a couple hundred rpms.

It does this maybe once or twice after restarting a warm car. Its not a constant occurance. If you started the car and drove in city traffic for hours it would only do it on the 1st or 2nd block.

2. I have a hars 3-2 downshift somtimes/randomly when comming to a stop. The rmps almost go TOO LOW in 3rd gear and then kinda "bumps" as it jumps up to say 1100 rmps in 2nd.

Again...i think all this is software related.
EXACTLY! The G desperately needs a good aftermarket transmission tuner. No one was come up to the plate on that issue. There must be an access or software problem in getting to the TCU.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:31 PM
rehtea

I've noticed the engine-braking from 30-20mph only when coasting to a stop. When braking to a stop, I can't feel it - the transmission seems perfectly normal.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Purrrsiandaddy

wait so there are no aftermarket software tuning? or just not good ones? and what about the throttle lag? i forgot the other thread, but an owner of the sedan said he felt it was dangerous because there was no response then BOOM the engine rockets and its easy to lose control. is that a software issue too? some say its a safety feature to prevent people from crashing harder in case they slam on the pedal instead of the brake, but is there any way to disable it?

dang i also just read the thread on the high pitch whine noise. seems like a lot of people have it. guess im back to making my car list and checking it twice. infiniti just got bumped down

1. audi a4 (way too pricey for the options i want...)
2. g37 (was perfect, especially since i could mod it, but since hearing all these issues, i am reconsidering it and that is why it is bumped below the audi)
3. used 335 (08)

hopefully these issues will be resolved, i really want the g, but i am not willing to settle when dropping 35K plus on a car

Last edited by Purrrsiandaddy; 09-20-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:36 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Purrrsiandaddy
wait so there are no aftermarket software tuning? or just not good ones? and what about the throttle lag? i forgot the other thread, but an owner of the sedan said he felt it was dangerous because there was no response then BOOM the engine rockets and its easy to lose control. is that a software issue too? some say its a safety feature to prevent people from crashing harder in case they slam on the pedal instead of the brake, but is there any way to disable it?
This doesn't make sense.

Why not take a G37 out for a test drive. All the issues seem to vary individual by individual.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:52 AM
bunluvsvw

dang i also just read the thread on the high pitch whine noise. seems like a lot of people have it. guess im back to making my car list and checking it twice. infiniti just got bumped down

1. audi a4 (way too pricey for the options i want...)
2. g37 (was perfect, especially since i could mod it, but since hearing all these issues, i am reconsidering it and that is why it is bumped below the audi)
3. used 335 (08)

hopefully these issues will be resolved, i really want the g, but i am not willing to settle when dropping 35K plus on a car

And you think Audi dont have any problems with their car? Oh, and Im guessing BMWs are 100% perfect too..... Infiniti owners are a bunch of cry babies, they complain about minor imperfections here and there, cmon now, ppl are complaining about rough shifting in their G. Jump in a Honda and you will know what is rough shifting. Infiniti owners have no rights to complain about their $40k car, Look at the BMW owners, they have every right to complain!!! Their $50k car arent starting, Our G are just not shifting butter smooth, their pos are leaving them stranded at the mall!!! LMAO I dont even want to start with Audi'sssss......
Old 09-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Purrrsiandaddy

"Why not take a G37 out for a test drive. All the issues seem to vary individual by individual."

Because test drives aren't good ways to assess issues like these. Test drives get me interested in the car, then the research convinces me if i should buy it, not the other way around.

And bunluv, yes audi and bmw have problems, but i expect that because they are german. that is why i picked inifiniti, but if inifiniti is going to have problems too, then it wont count as having an advantage in that department. also, audi is actually going way up in reliability and build quality, better than bmw and MUCH better than MB.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi Alt G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only have a couple of hundred miles on my G37 X which I picked up last Wednesday, but I have noticed none of the problems noted in this thread. I will let you all know if I do.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:06 PM
calvin_hobbes

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
The DS mode is meant for track and twisty country road duty - supposed to hold gears so that when you go into a corner at 5k rpm, and then brake, and then try to power out of the corner, you are still in the right gear. That's the theory, anyway. Plus, it rev-matches on downshifts.

I like like faster, harsher shifts - I have earnestly tried to train my 7AT to do just that. If anything, it's not aggressive enough. I'd say the my G's biggest problem is the throttle lag, with the transmission being second.
If you switch to DS from D but do not manually shift - does it act just like it is in D?

If I flip from D to DS it seems to drop a gear or 2. Can I change that? I rather have it be in the same gear then I make the decision to down or upshift.

Is there really an adaptive transmission? Can you train it not to engine brake? God i hate that.

I have resorted to putting it in neutral to avoid the annoying engining braking.

What about turning the VDS off? Can you do that while driving? Do you notice a difference? I tried today - 'i thought' it was accelerating better without a lag.....but it was too short of a drive to be sure.

Quick Reply: g37 seems to have alot of transmission issues?