Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

g37 seems to have alot of transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:07 PM
JIM56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In this case, I would recommend the test drive. The 7AT has a 'dynamic' personality that is very different than a typical 5AT. I was unsure I liked it at first; I drove two different G37x's and they behaved just the same, so took this to be the design, rather than a specific problem. In the end, I found it fun to drive, but you have to pay a little more attention to the AT when driving.

The first 4 gears are low and feel more like a manual transmission with upshifts and downshifts occuring quickly and abruptly. The car is quick from any speed -10, 20, 30, 40 mph -- you name it. Take a turn - the engine brakes from 3 to 2, pops around the turn in 2, and you can pop out of the turn like a slingshot. Coming to a stop light, the engine braking helps get you stopped, but you need to adjust to this.

The downside -- if your stuck in slow traffic varying from 15-25mph, the down and up shifts would be a pain.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:15 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going from personal experience, I've had my G37xS for a year and haven't experienced any issues with the transmission or any whining noise.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:43 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by Purrrsiandaddy
wait so there are no aftermarket software tuning? or just not good ones? and what about the throttle lag? i forgot the other thread, but an owner of the sedan said he felt it was dangerous because there was no response then BOOM the engine rockets and its easy to lose control. is that a software issue too? some say its a safety feature to prevent people from crashing harder in case they slam on the pedal instead of the brake, but is there any way to disable it?

dang i also just read the thread on the high pitch whine noise. seems like a lot of people have it. guess im back to making my car list and checking it twice. infiniti just got bumped down

1. audi a4 (way too pricey for the options i want...)
2. g37 (was perfect, especially since i could mod it, but since hearing all these issues, i am reconsidering it and that is why it is bumped below the audi)
3. used 335 (08)

hopefully these issues will be resolved, i really want the g, but i am not willing to settle when dropping 35K plus on a car
If you pass up the G because of what you perceive as major issues from a forum, it will be your loss.

Most of the "issues" you refer to are not really issues, but more personal preference. I had the downshift TSB applied, only because I got tired of my wife making comments about it. I seldom ever noticed it myself.

Poor Rhino is in a very small minority with his problem, which is obvious when you read the whole thread.

I've never heard the high pitched noise. I may be tone deaf in that range. No one in my car has ever mentioned it either, so I can not speak to that.

Research is good. Just make good use of it.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:00 AM
G35Rhino

wait so there are no aftermarket software tuning? or just not good ones? and what about the throttle lag? i forgot the other thread, but an owner of the sedan said he felt it was dangerous because there was no response then BOOM the engine rockets and its easy to lose control. is that a software issue too? some say its a safety feature to prevent people from crashing harder in case they slam on the pedal instead of the brake, but is there any way to disable it?

dang i also just read the thread on the high pitch whine noise. seems like a lot of people have it. guess im back to making my car list and checking it twice. infiniti just got bumped down

1. audi a4 (way too pricey for the options i want...)
2. g37 (was perfect, especially since i could mod it, but since hearing all these issues, i am reconsidering it and that is why it is bumped below the audi)
3. used 335 (08)

hopefully these issues will be resolved, i really want the g, but i am not willing to settle when dropping 35K plus on a car
I think you are referring to me...but it wasn't the sudden BOOM that was the problem and caused you to lose control, what I felt was dangerous was the initial lag before the boom (i.e. pull out into the fast lane to pass and no juice for a couple of seconds so someone rockets up behind or on top you..that's what is dangerous).
Old 09-21-2009, 11:04 AM
G35Rhino

Upside....no whining noise here
Old 09-21-2009, 11:06 AM
G35Rhino

Btw...for those that think I'm a G-hater quite the contrary. I love the car itself and I'd buy the car again in a heart beat but I wouldn't have the dealer do the flash (hindsight is always 20/20).
Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my 7at. it has a slightly harsh 4-3 downshift and does engine brake a bit but overall it behaves the closest to how I would drive a stick of all the autos I have ever owned/driven. The paddles are just icing on the cake for when you are bored.

Not everyone has problems with the transmission and of the people that have them at lease some are purely subjective while others sound pretty serious. It is definately something to consider when testdriving the exact car you will be buying/leasing, but no need to get your panties in a bunch.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:42 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike S.
The 7AT is a mess..sort of. Its a good unit it seems, but needs more software tuning.

I had the rough downshift TSB. It is actually misleading b/c the downshift was never rough. It was "agressive" in that it would drop to the lower gear 3rd or whatever gear it was (smoothly), but at too high of a speed (maybe 25mph). The result was too much engine braking. Some people report not having it and some don't mind it b/c its sporty. However, I'd veture to say if you sampled the radom public and had them drive the car, 80% would think something was wrong. The TSB fixed this.

Issues remaining:
1. RPM's jump up when accelerating at the shift point (3 to 4?). It seems like its slipping..but it's not. Its the variable torque converter quickly unlocking and then relocking again as the shift happens. The result is a quick jump of a couple hundred rpms.

It does this maybe once or twice after restarting a warm car. Its not a constant occurance. If you started the car and drove in city traffic for hours it would only do it on the 1st or 2nd block.

2. I have a hars 3-2 downshift somtimes/randomly when comming to a stop. The rmps almost go TOO LOW in 3rd gear and then kinda "bumps" as it jumps up to say 1100 rmps in 2nd.

Again...i think all this is software related.
Me Too actually it's crazy how the rpms just drops huh?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:51 AM
Redline37
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Rhino
I think you are referring to me...but it wasn't the sudden BOOM that was the problem and caused you to lose control, what I felt was dangerous was the initial lag before the boom (i.e. pull out into the fast lane to pass and no juice for a couple of seconds so someone rockets up behind or on top you..that's what is dangerous).
I had Amp'd install the hyper grounding kit and Injen CAI. Most of my lag went away. I still get a small bit of lag for maybe half a second, but I think that has something to do with that horrible safety feature they designed onto our cars (or ecu).
Old 12-01-2009, 04:58 AM
Redline37
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
"Why not take a G37 out for a test drive. All the issues seem to vary individual by individual."

Because test drives aren't good ways to assess issues like these. Test drives get me interested in the car, then the research convinces me if i should buy it, not the other way around.

And bunluv, yes audi and bmw have problems, but i expect that because they are german. that is why i picked inifiniti, but if inifiniti is going to have problems too, then it wont count as having an advantage in that department. also, audi is actually going way up in reliability and build quality, better than bmw and MUCH better than MB.
I have had my G since 07, and I have had no issues that rendered the car unusable. The "problems" are more of annoyances. I have had my ECU reflashed and that was about it.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:53 PM
joselitopr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love this transmission ,the best gearing on an auto tranny i ever drove.The shifting could be better other than that I love it.I do get engine brake when I am stopping coming fast and slow down quick ,but only and D and DS not on manual ,but on a avenue doing as fast as 45mph I never have had engine brake. Plus no whining here.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:57 PM
mayday813

I've got a little over 5k miles on a G37 Journey Premium non nav, and have never had the transmission ECU flashed. While the downshifts were a bit harsh during break in, after about 1,200 miles the transmission felt much better. Now, if you're coasting to a stop, the transmission will downshift (rev match) and it is noticeable. But, I wouldn't call it harsh.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:13 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Don't let some minor trans occurances discourage you from buying a G37. I put 35k on an 07 G35 (wonderful car BTW), then picked up a BMW 745Li (thought I was moving up) and was very discouraged by all the money it would take to keep the car roadworthy. We ditched the Beamer and bought another G, an 09 G37. We have 5k on our G since we got it in mid Sept and it's definately a better vehicle than our 07. With the exception of the crappy Goodyear RS-A tires we really like everything else about the car. The trans accelerates through the gears extremely well and is easy to keep the power in the useable range up & down the gears. Our Mileage is about 15% better on avg and have gotten over 30 mpg on a couple of our longer trips (going 80mph). The wind noise seems to have improved over our 07 (possibly due to the new mirror profile), and it seems that the self-healing paint is also a major improvement since the earlier Gs tend to chip quite easily. The sunroof also has an improved aluminum wind deflector that makes it quieter when open. True enough about the trans hunting a bit when coasting down from 30 mph. I noticed it quite a bit at first, but it no longer is much of an issue, maybe the trans has learned my driving habits or I've just gotten numb to the shifts~just doesn't seem too significant & absolutely not a deal-breaker, or even something that would move the G down a notch in my book.

Hope you take the leap, you'll love these cars I'm fairly certain.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:26 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Tranny shifts just fine. Could be a little faster on the upshifts. The major problem with the G is the throttle lag (for some folks) IMO.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:11 AM
ged1067

I'm only a newbie, but I love engine braking and would like more of it!!!

Quick Reply: g37 seems to have alot of transmission issues?