Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help O2 Sensor wire harness?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 02:30 PM
dontpanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O2 Sensor wire harness?

So I recently bought a used 08 g37s and found out that the previous owner had run over a dead animal thereby damaging the wire harness for the right cat O2 sensor.

Looking under the car, it was only the female connector that was damaged, the wires are still intact. Seems like the tech broke the black plastic housing to extract the wires (no clue why they would do that).

I think the easiest way to solve this is to splice the wires to either a spare female connector or direct to the O2 sensor.

Does anyone happen to have a old female connector they could spare? It would also be great if someone could verify the wiring color for me. On the female side the wires are Red, Pink, White & Black. I need to know what colors hook up to what colors on the O2 sensor side (White,White,Gray & Black).
Old 07-25-2009, 09:28 PM
dontpanic

anybody? it would be awesome if someone could take a pic of theirs the next time they have it up on the jacks.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:43 PM
dontpanic

T_T nobody's seen this problem before?
Old 07-27-2009, 07:10 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Dunno if a picture will help. Wouldn't it be easier to cut the connector and some cable from a wrecked car then joind them to yours?
Old 07-27-2009, 07:20 PM
dontpanic

That's what I had in mind, to simply connect the wires. Having the connector there just makes it easier to swap out the O2 sensor in the future.

Problem I have is the color code for the wires... the former owner had left the wires dangling so despite staring at the wiring schematic for the G37 for the last 48hrs, I can't figure out which leads connect to which leads on the O2 sensor.

On a side note, the wiring schematic for the nissan gt-r makes perfect sense lol
Old 07-27-2009, 07:36 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dontpanic
That's what I had in mind, to simply connect the wires. Having the connector there just makes it easier to swap out the O2 sensor in the future.

Problem I have is the color code for the wires... the former owner had left the wires dangling so despite staring at the wiring schematic for the G37 for the last 48hrs, I can't figure out which leads connect to which leads on the O2 sensor.

On a side note, the wiring schematic for the nissan gt-r makes perfect sense lol
I'm guessing the color scheme is the same. Just match the colors from yours to the one you get at the wrecking yard. Remember, you go in there with a diagonal cutter and take off a 12" chunk of wire attached to the connector.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:02 PM
dontpanic

Yeah, it should be the same color but I haven't had any luck finding a wrecked 08 g37 around where I live (Olympia, WA).

That's why I thought with the amount of people doing work on their cars here that someone might take a picture of the connection while it's on the jacks so that I can connect it for the short term while continuing my search for a junked connector.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:49 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Yeah, it should be the same color but I haven't had any luck finding a wrecked 08 g37 around where I live (Olympia, WA).

That's why I thought with the amount of people doing work on their cars here that someone might take a picture of the connection while it's on the jacks so that I can connect it for the short term while continuing my search for a junked connector.
The individual conductors are inside a jacket so you won't see anything in photos without taking apart the connector assembly:

Name:  A20081216001.jpg
Views: 4961
Size:  115.1 KB

Name:  A20081216003.jpg
Views: 3405
Size:  89.3 KB

My exhaust probably looks a little different than yours, but I'm sure you get the idea. You'll have to research the factory service manual. The info you are looking for should be in there.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:44 AM
dontpanic

thanks for the pic! what's worrying now is the wires in your connector are a different color than my wires lol. I should put black tape on my dash to block out the CEL light hahaha
Old 05-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Romeo0119

Could anyone take a close up pics of the plug? I'm having the same problem, can't find a wreck g37 around my area either. My plug is damage and I dont know which wires connect to what on the o2
Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Romeo0119

Anyone please? Desperately need help, the pic above is kind of hard to see, next time one of you guys do an oil change, snap a few shot for me please? Thanks
Old 05-20-2012, 12:58 PM
devinb30

So I recently bought a used 08 g37s and found out that the previous owner had run over a dead animal thereby damaging the wire harness for the right cat O2 sensor.

Looking under the car, it was only the female connector that was damaged, the wires are still intact. Seems like the tech broke the black plastic housing to extract the wires (no clue why they would do that).

I think the easiest way to solve this is to splice the wires to either a spare female connector or direct to the O2 sensor.

Does anyone happen to have a old female connector they could spare? It would also be great if someone could verify the wiring color for me. On the female side the wires are Red, Pink, White & Black. I need to know what colors hook up to what colors on the O2 sensor side (White,White,Gray & Black).

Hey im having the same exact problem just on the passenger side. Did u ever find a diagram or fix yours? or do you have photos? Please help ASAp
Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Romeo0119

Mine is on the passenger side too lol, still no fix
Old 07-13-2012, 03:16 PM
dontpanic

Just an update, it's been 3 years and I still have the same problem. As far as I can tell, the only issue is you would fail any emissions test and that damn light won't go off.

Couple of solutions I've thought about:

1) Pay Infiniti their $2.5k to $3k to get it fixed
2) Bypass the broken connector and splice directly to the O2 sensor. Future replacement of that sensor will suck, and you'd lose some wire each time.
3) Buy the engine control harness from a wrecked G, and cut and replace the broken connector.

As for the wiring/color code, I found the color code a while back but don't remember what it is anymore. The factory service manual has the connections and color code, and I used the color code stickied in the Bose audio wiring breakdown thread.

I'm leaning towards solution #3 but haven't gotten around to actually doing it yet. I'd be happy to post a DIY if someone wanted to sell me the engine control harness for cheap!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Romeo0119

Where in the service manual do u see the wiring code color diagram from the harness to the o2 sensor? I have the service manual but I can't find it any where

Quick Reply: Help O2 Sensor wire harness?