Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Throttle / Shift Lag after TCM flash?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:11 PM
G35Rhino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex57r
Nobody is tired of anything. Thas what this thread is about, those who don't like it don't have to read it. Its really strange that some people are happy with the reflash and others are not. COuld it be your dealer did somethign wrong? LEt us know what they say/do...

Brian, How is yours doin?
Anything is possible...but with a flash I would think it would be "all or nothing" since the tranny is controlled by the module. I mean if you screw up the program (which is canned) how would any of it work? I don't think the tech sets any individual parameters but could be wrong.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:22 PM
G35Rhino

I have an appt. on the 16th at the dealer where I bought the car NOT the one that did the flash. I've asked (and will again when I get there) that they check everything out, flash me back to where I started or figure out a way to make everything play well together. A couple of people joked about my 2 second lag comments...well I timed it (1-1,000...2-1,000 method) once with someone in the car, it was close to 3 seconds (no sh*t) on that particular instance but for whatever reason that one was particularly bad. Something is definitely not right, my wife's RX350 AWD has less lag than my G does and that was not the case when I bought the car or I'd have been complaining from day 1.

I won't even go into the weird tranny clunk and jerkiness (rapid up- then rapid downshift) that I felt twice in the 3 hours while running the cruise control on a road trip I did on Tuesday morning....hell of way to start my work week I sure hope my tranny isn't dying on me.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:05 PM
G37Obsidian

Definitely keep us posted........
Old 09-10-2009, 01:05 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man I'm having the same issues, please let me know what you get... or ask them to push up the appointment... heh

Originally Posted by G35Rhino
I'm taking mine in next week for an oil change and to ask that they flash my TCM back to my original program. It simply does not want to downshift when I press the accelerator quickly. The car wants to ride in a very high gear all the time, which I understand is for mileage, but you shouldn't have to wait 2 - 3 seconds for it to downshift just to be able to pass a car, make it under a changing light, etc. My car now has ~13k miles on it, ~5k since the flash and I was hoping it would "learn" it's way back to being a sporty car but no such luck. In "D" and to a lesser extent "DS"...it's a grandma bogging down for seconds long before shifting and taking off.

I figured everyone was tired of my complaining on here so I quit posting on the subject. I will let you know what, if anything, the dealer says or does at my visit next week. I just want the car to drive like it did when I bought it as right now it is a LONG way from being there.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:32 AM
KLB

Rhino and MW, when were your cars produced? Maybe they had a bad batch.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:44 PM
G37Obsidian

Here's a related question. It seems like before I had the flash done, when I would move it into DS mode it would immediately downshift a gear and the revs would go up a little bit. Now it doesn't change gears at all. So the question is, is the car supposed to downshift a gear when you move to DS mode or not?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:53 PM
az mountain G

Originally Posted by G37Obsidian
Here's a related question. It seems like before I had the flash done, when I would move it into DS mode it would immediately downshift a gear and the revs would go up a little bit. Now it doesn't change gears at all. So the question is, is the car supposed to downshift a gear when you move to DS mode or not?
I'll confirm that my car which has not had TSB does downshift a gear when moved to DS. It has build date 09/08. Other characteristics of this vehicle described earlier. I am wondering whether TSB merely disarms converter locking under closed throttle? I might not even perceive downshift without locked converter, although there should be something of a rev increase.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:03 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My car after the flash does downshift when I move to DS mode. There is also a small rev increase.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I just got back from an errand and tested my sedan trans for you. In almost, if not every scenario, switching from "D" to "DS" dropped the trans a gear. :-(
Old 09-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Alex57r

My car goes from 7-5 if I shift into DS mode.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:56 PM
G37Obsidian

Maybe I should take it in and have them look at it. It doesn't even move when I shift into DS mode
Old 09-15-2009, 01:55 PM
G35Rhino

Originally Posted by KLB
Rhino and MW, when were your cars produced? Maybe they had a bad batch.
09/08 according to the door jam.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:56 PM
G35Rhino

Mine still downshifts when moving from D to DS even after the flash.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:59 PM
G35Rhino

Definitely keep us posted........
Mine is going in at 8 AM tomorrow. I'm dreading it already.........I have a feeling they are going to tell me it's normal and also tell me they won't re-flash it back to original TCM program. If so, I'm going to be on the phone with Infiniti.

Will let you know what is said/done.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Alex57r

Originally Posted by G35Rhino
Mine is going in at 8 AM tomorrow. I'm dreading it already.........I have a feeling they are going to tell me it's normal and also tell me they won't re-flash it back to original TCM program. If so, I'm going to be on the phone with Infiniti.

Will let you know what is said/done.

Let us know how it went!

Quick Reply: Throttle / Shift Lag after TCM flash?