Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Throttle / Shift Lag after TCM flash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Mockenrue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Rhino
I would think the ECU was reset as part of the flash but could be wrong. I had also read somewhere that an ECU flash was part of the TCM flash although I'm not sure that was the case.
The ECU is a different flash, but my dealer said you need one to do the other (not sure which one was the prerequisite). Also, I don't think the ECU flash resets the magic number. When my dealer did mine, he checked the number (expecting it to go back to the default of 100). Mine was at 99, so he said it looked like it didn't reset, though he hadn't looked at it before the flash to be sure. I'm pretty sure I've gotten that number down some since then with more aggressive driving post break-in.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:54 PM
G37Obsidian

What are these numbers? 100? 99?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Mockenrue

According to the tech at my dealer, your driving style translates into a number (which defines the characteristics of your transmission). He said 100 is the stock default, and if you baby it, the number goes up. If you drive it hard, the number goes down. He said the lowest he's seen was in the low 80s for people that beat the heck out of it. As far as I know, you can't see your number unless you hook it up to their technician laptops.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:08 PM
G37Obsidian

Interesting. Maybe I'll have them check it out at next oil change
Old 08-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Mike P

Originally Posted by Mockenrue
According to the tech at my dealer, your driving style translates into a number (which defines the characteristics of your transmission). He said 100 is the stock default, and if you baby it, the number goes up. If you drive it hard, the number goes down. He said the lowest he's seen was in the low 80s for people that beat the heck out of it. As far as I know, you can't see your number unless you hook it up to their technician laptops.
Thanks for the information. I will have to ask for mine. Maybe we can have a thread to see who gets the lowest or highest score.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 PM
G37Obsidian

Any other feedback on this?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:03 PM
ry317

My car is going in tomorrow at 8AM. They are doing a few things: looking in the trans trouble, trying to find out this metallic clicking that I am hearing, hoping they can hear the high-pitch noise from the cabin like I can, and also hoping they can fix the mildew smell from the a/c when I start my car...

Other than those things, i really love this car!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:17 PM
trey100

Originally Posted by G37Obsidian
Any other feedback on this?
I picked up my G37xs a couple of days ago (the day it arrived at the dealership) and haven't noticed the harsh downshifting that I noticed on some of the test cars I drove. I've mostly done highway driving but I'm assuming mine has it done. No lag noticed at all. Seems quick to downshift and pretty smooth (but still aggressive). I'll keep an eye out tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:49 AM
trey100

Originally Posted by trey100
I picked up my G37xs a couple of days ago (the day it arrived at the dealership) and haven't noticed the harsh downshifting that I noticed on some of the test cars I drove. I've mostly done highway driving but I'm assuming mine has it done. No lag noticed at all. Seems quick to downshift and pretty smooth (but still aggressive). I'll keep an eye out tomorrow.
Ok - I was a little more attentive this morning and there is a definite improvement in the smoothness of the downshifting that occurs during braking compared to the demos I drove. The cars that I test drove had very noticeable downshifts as I came to a stop and my car's shifts are almost imperceptible. The car still seems to have a small downshift but nothing you would notice if you weren't looking for it. I have to believe that my car had the re-programmed work done from the factory or maybe at the dealership before delivery to me.

During normal driving, the car is very quick to downshift under small throttle inputs. I am very impressed with the lag free acceleration so far. It's a relief as this thread had me nervous prior to picking my car up.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think at least part of the issue is that 3rd and 4th gears are so far appart. The rpm drop between 6-7 is like nothing, but between 4-3 its huge. This combined with the locked up torque converter and you are going to have some jerking. Has there been any news from any other people that have done the reflash? Bryan? Rhino?
Old 09-08-2009, 03:21 PM
G35Rhino

I'm taking mine in next week for an oil change and to ask that they flash my TCM back to my original program. It simply does not want to downshift when I press the accelerator quickly. The car wants to ride in a very high gear all the time, which I understand is for mileage, but you shouldn't have to wait 2 - 3 seconds for it to downshift just to be able to pass a car, make it under a changing light, etc. My car now has ~13k miles on it, ~5k since the flash and I was hoping it would "learn" it's way back to being a sporty car but no such luck. In "D" and to a lesser extent "DS"...it's a grandma bogging down for seconds long before shifting and taking off.

I figured everyone was tired of my complaining on here so I quit posting on the subject. I will let you know what, if anything, the dealer says or does at my visit next week. I just want the car to drive like it did when I bought it as right now it is a LONG way from being there.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35Rhino
I'm taking mine in next week for an oil change and to ask that they flash my TCM back to my original program. It simply does not want to downshift when I press the accelerator quickly. The car wants to ride in a very high gear all the time, which I understand is for mileage, but you shouldn't have to wait 2 - 3 seconds for it to downshift just to be able to pass a car, make it under a changing light, etc. My car now has ~13k miles on it, ~5k since the flash and I was hoping it would "learn" it's way back to being a sporty car but no such luck. In "D" and to a lesser extent "DS"...it's a grandma bogging down for seconds long before shifting and taking off.

I figured everyone was tired of my complaining on here so I quit posting on the subject. I will let you know what, if anything, the dealer says or does at my visit next week. I just want the car to drive like it did when I bought it as right now it is a LONG way from being there.

Nobody is tired of anything. Thas what this thread is about, those who don't like it don't have to read it. Its really strange that some people are happy with the reflash and others are not. COuld it be your dealer did somethign wrong? LEt us know what they say/do...

Brian, How is yours doin?
Old 09-09-2009, 03:42 PM
az mountain G

I contributed to this thread awhile back and after a visit to dealer and phone call to Infiniti customer service, I sent a highly critical letter to customer service that at least got somebody's attention. A regional rep is phoning every few days to let me know she is thinking about me. My G37X at closed throttle has the harsh downshift at 20, a milder one at 40 or so and a couple just before stopping. I am coming up on 10,000 miles and am tending to "drive around" the problem. It is really annoying during mild braking, but I do not mind downshifts at closed throttle without braking. Perhaps because I am at heart a MTX person and do a lot of downshifting when driving a real manual and sometimes with DS. My issue is to try to understand whether I would be happier with the TSB or it would be best to leave car as is. Not clear that the TSB can be undone. My issue with Infiniti is to be a whole more candid about exactly what changes in trans with the TSB. Does it free wheel at closed throttle? Is there any change on upshift behavior? Do shift points change going up or down? What, if anything, changes with engine behavior? Is ECU changed? etc, etc. Reports here are quite varied with some folks happy without the TSB, some happy after, some unhappy after.
This is obviously a subjective issue and to further complicate, individual vehicles may also vary.
Anyway my letter included this thread as a recommended heads up and I will report whatever I end up doing and the consequences. In the meantime thanks to all who are communicating.
Ralph
Old 09-09-2009, 04:40 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AZ,

I was annoyed by the engine braking and harsh downshift very much. It was jerky especially in stop-n-go traffic. I had the reflash done and the downshift issue was gone 90%. After the reflash, I notice no lag, or a very short (not 2 second, more like half a second) lag when I push the gas pedal and force downshift. But that's expected with automatic transmission I guess. I used to have a RX330 and the lag on this thing was noticeable.

In DS mode, there is no lag as far as I can see. But I usually leave it in D for normal driving and M for "spirited" driving.

So I am happy with the reflash. I have the flare sometimes exactly as other posters experience (drive the car, turn off engine to let it cool down a bit, then drive it again). I can live with the flare, but I can't with the downshift. I hope Infiniti will release another TSB that eventually fixes everything.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:19 PM
eman76b2001

Rhino I posted that about the ECU flash. I took mine in and they said it already had the TCM flash so they went ahead and flashed my ECU to the latest and greatest. Have not been able to find out what version that was yet. Havent really pushed it yet but I have not noticed any huge lag time. I will give it a try and see how it performs. Downshifts seem to be better but are still present.

Quick Reply: Throttle / Shift Lag after TCM flash?