Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Throttle / Shift Lag after TCM flash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:42 PM
ry317

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I need to jump in this thread. I am going through the same round of issues. Almost all of the same symptoms as described above, and what made me think of this thread is I let a friend of mine drive the car tonight and he was asking what was wrong with the transmission.

The car just shifts really slow. I have noticed that for some reason the car seems to change gears FASTER in D mode! Example, floor it in D, the car chirps the tires going into second gear. In DS, it never does. There is a definite lag when shifting.

I have not tried turning VDC off, but I will give it a run tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:02 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
shoot, what is up with the Journey transmission tune? The S package is apparently tuned much more aggressively - I have never had the hint of a chirp in my Journey on any gear change.

I totally regret not getting the S package!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
shoot, what is up with the Journey transmission tune? The S package is apparently tuned much more aggressively - I have never had the hint of a chirp in my Journey on any gear change.

Bahh...different cars different roads. The 7AT in your journey is the SAME as my "xS".
Old 08-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Mike P

S package does not add much to X. Mostly cosmetic. The paddles will assit with the chirp, but so will the manual shift in DS. The S gives you bigger brakes in the RWD version not in the X version. I like it, but I think my car will do almost anything that the others will unless I can get better times since I will have the paddels. Purely hypothetical.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:22 PM
ry317

It will ONLY do it in D mode, never in DS, or with the shifters.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Xs chirps as long as it is not too hot out and I am alone in the car with the vdc off in either D or DS mode.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:35 PM
G35Rhino

Originally Posted by ry317
Okay, I need to jump in this thread. I am going through the same round of issues. Almost all of the same symptoms as described above, and what made me think of this thread is I let a friend of mine drive the car tonight and he was asking what was wrong with the transmission.

The car just shifts really slow. I have noticed that for some reason the car seems to change gears FASTER in D mode! Example, floor it in D, the car chirps the tires going into second gear. In DS, it never does. There is a definite lag when shifting.

I have not tried turning VDC off, but I will give it a run tomorrow.

You know you've got problems when your Lexus SUV-driving wife drives your car and asks "what's wrong with your car". My wife did, unprompted and with no knowledge of my posts or issues (last thing I want to hear is her opinion...to further stress me out). She's driven my car a handful of times since January, this was the first time since the flash in early July.

Also, mine is an "S" and it won't chirp anything, anytime (unless VDC is off) and still do not believe it will chirp 2nd. Someone made a comment about chirping...thought I'd add my 2 cents.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:53 PM
ufo
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have experienced this same problem with my G37S 5AT coupe. I tried the grounding kit, and just imho it did not make any noticeable difference. In my case I have hi-flow bolt on mods (CAI, HFCs, exhaust) so I wonder if this might effect vacuum when the throttle is suddenly wide open (when you floor it), thereby causing some delay in the downshift. I have no evidence for this, just speculating. My subjective take is that the car was more responsive from stop or low speed before any mods. I have Cobb Access re-flash, and I'm not sure if that changes anything in the shift points. Don't know if this really adds to the discussion but I'm glad it's not just me.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:18 PM
ry317

Originally Posted by G35Rhino
You know you've got problems when your Lexus SUV-driving wife drives your car and asks "what's wrong with your car". My wife did, unprompted and with no knowledge of my posts or issues (last thing I want to hear is her opinion...to further stress me out). She's driven my car a handful of times since January, this was the first time since the flash in early July.

Also, mine is an "S" and it won't chirp anything, anytime (unless VDC is off) and still do not believe it will chirp 2nd. Someone made a comment about chirping...thought I'd add my 2 cents.
My car gives a nice little chirp of the tires when going into 2nd when I hammer the gas. In fact, when I test drove the car that car did it as well. One of the things that really impressed me.

Took the car for a ride today and turned VDC off, it does not make that big of a difference, the shift lag is still there.

I'm going to stop by my dealer tomorrow and see if they have anything to say, and, if they can figure out what is making this random metallic clicking sound I hear every time the car starts moving or comes to a stop. (completely different issue).
Old 08-11-2009, 03:35 PM
G35Rhino

Let me (us) know what, if any, feedback the dealer gives on the lag issue. Thanks Ry...
Old 08-11-2009, 03:35 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

You guys definitely have a different transmission tune than the Journey does. On a side topic, I still can't find anybody who will do a transmission tune for the G37 7AT....anybody know anything?
Old 08-11-2009, 08:51 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Yes, and apologize for going OT - I'd love an update on the shift lag/throttle lag. Btw, the S is not cosmetic - you get a noticeably stiffer suspension (better handling), a limited slip differential (very big deal for laying power to the ground, and on track day), and even better brakes, and better wheels/tires. I'd lay $$ on the LSD's abilities to add a couple of tenths of a second to the 0-60's. And it looks like you guys get a more aggressive transmission tune, with less torque management, and a little more shift pressure.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:11 PM
ry317

Yes, and apologize for going OT - I'd love an update on the shift lag/throttle lag. Btw, the S is not cosmetic - you get a noticeably stiffer suspension (better handling), a limited slip differential (very big deal for laying power to the ground, and on track day), and even better brakes, and better wheels/tires. I'd lay $$ on the LSD's abilities to add a couple of tenths of a second to the 0-60's. And it looks like you guys get a more aggressive transmission tune, with less torque management, and a little more shift pressure.
Sounds accurate, I drove a non S when I bought the car it it did not feel as aggressive.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:10 PM
KLB

Mike was speaking of the xS. On the xS the S is mostly cosmetic. For the non-X you get all the goodies.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:29 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KLB
Mike was speaking of the xS. On the xS the S is mostly cosmetic. For the non-X you get all the goodies.
I see - right - no LSD for 4x. Probably still a more agressive tranny tune.

Quick Reply: Throttle / Shift Lag after TCM flash?