Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Not pushing the clutch all the way to the floor????

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:17 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not pushing the clutch all the way to the floor????

I know alot of people have posted about the clutch being a little tricky, and I have to agree. No matter how hard I try, I just can not shift perfect in this car without the car bucking a little. I know its not me because I have no trouble driving other MT cars. I find when I press the clutch all the way to the floor the car is jerky when I let it out.

Just this past week I have not been pressing the clutch all the way to the floor. I have been pushing it down a little more than half way and then putting it into the next gear. The shifts are much smoother, and I do not get any bucking. I just worry that I'm going to ruin the clutch/transmission by doing this. I do not get any griding or abnormal sounds, so I assume its okay.

Any input on this would be great.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 07-16-2009, 08:24 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
hmm interesting tom. im the same way, ive been driving stick for years and have this car for a year and still cant shift 100% smoothly. the camaro SS i shift like butter.

im gonna try this and see how it goes.

you might be grinding it a little bit even though you dont hear it. all you have to do is get it passed the engagement point so it releases the gear.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:26 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've actually gotten used to the transmission so I rarely "buck" the car unless I'm shifting lazily or not paying attention to the RPM.

I've tried not stepping on the clutch all the way, but what I got was a lot of gear grinding so I stopped promptly. :P
Old 07-16-2009, 08:28 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tom same thing here. Try actually stepping on the clutch all the way down, and I mean all the way down as hard as u can and see what happens. The car usually doesnt jerk when I do that. I know its pretty weird but it works for me.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
That's the G transmission for you. Dis-Engaging half way is fine and won't hurt anything... As long as you are disengaging the clutch to shift.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. When I say the car bucks I just mean that you feel the gear change, its not as smoothe as it should be.

I think alot of the problems with shifting gears is because the clutch engages at such a high point, by the time the clutch is fully released my leg is at an uncomfortable postition so I think I let it out too quick. Only pushing the clutch half way down seems to help. I know what griding gears sounds like, and when I push it down half way I get no noise.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:37 PM
QuickSilver08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took the spring out from behind my clutch pedal and that helped take away the jerkiness. I've also noticed that only pushing the clutch down halfway helps as well. You can feel the point when the clutch is disengaged.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:03 PM
SlateBlue G

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I only press the clutch halfway and usually shift like butter esp 2 to 3rd. 1st it still jerky. sometimes the lazyness gets me grindin once in a while. Def worth it though much smoother shifts
Old 07-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Nickkg37s

Originally Posted by QuickSilver08
I took the spring out from behind my clutch pedal and that helped take away the jerkiness. I've also noticed that only pushing the clutch down halfway helps as well. You can feel the point when the clutch is disengaged.
What does removing the spring do?
Old 07-17-2009, 12:00 AM
DashKid
Banned

Well I don't usally push my clutch down all the way cause I know where the catch point is and got a little past that. It should be ok long as you don't grind it into the gear.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:08 AM
WhiteGhost

Originally Posted by SlateBlue G
I only press the clutch halfway and usually shift like butter esp 2 to 3rd. 1st it still jerky. sometimes the lazyness gets me grindin once in a while. Def worth it though much smoother shifts
^^Same here. Wow, all this time I really thought I was the one with the problem of not being able to shift properly. To some level it's good to see I'm not the only one with this issue. Like Tom said, I don't hear any grinding so I figure it's ok.

I've also noticed that moving my seat a little forward helped me get smoother shifts.

Last edited by WhiteGhost; 07-17-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:36 PM
QuickSilver08

Originally Posted by Nickkg37s
What does removing the spring do?
I hated having that spring shove my foot off the clutch or drop the pedal out from underneath my foot when I pushed it in. Been driving sticks for years and my legs are strong enough that I don't need a clutch assist spring. So I took it out and now the clutch pedal travels how I want it to travel. Not how some stupid spring that some engineer figured I needed. Did the same on the vette and the pedal quit sticking to the floor. Also made it have some weight to it. Dang clutch pedal in the vette is 1/3 the pressure that these cars are. I like having a heavier clutch.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:56 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Originally Posted by QuickSilver08
I hated having that spring shove my foot off the clutch or drop the pedal out from underneath my foot when I pushed it in. Been driving sticks for years and my legs are strong enough that I don't need a clutch assist spring. So I took it out and now the clutch pedal travels how I want it to travel. Not how some stupid spring that some engineer figured I needed. Did the same on the vette and the pedal quit sticking to the floor. Also made it have some weight to it. Dang clutch pedal in the vette is 1/3 the pressure that these cars are. I like having a heavier clutch.
I agree with everyone.. I think the clutch on our cars are the worst to shift smoothly. I drove my friend's dad's vette c5 yesterday and it shifts like a baby with no jerkiness whatsoever... she is also the worst stick driver i've ever seen and even her shifts are smooth. I also drove a friends 06 wrx last week and that also shifts like butter. I'm beginning to have a passion of hate for my clutch, it's just frustrating trying to shift smooth when there's nothing you can do.

Where exactly is this spring that you removed?
Old 07-19-2009, 05:46 PM
kRAM
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
I've also gotten used to shifting smothly except for 1st to 2nd. Can get a little to head bobbly at times but if you guys are willing to try i posted this awhile ago asking if anyone tried it. https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...tch-pedal.html Basicly just adjusting the clutch to a higher position so it feels like the engagement point is more centered rather than near the top. I tried it but switched back because I became to accustomed to the high engagment.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:11 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SlateBlue G
I'm the same way. 1 to 2 is 50/50 with jerking, 2 to 3 is like buttah!
Our manual trannys do suck. My '03 Civic's tranny is all buttah baby!

Quick Reply: Help Not pushing the clutch all the way to the floor????