Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Not pushing the clutch all the way to the floor????

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:36 PM
QuickSilver08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NIGHTLFEphantom
I agree with everyone.. I think the clutch on our cars are the worst to shift smoothly. I drove my friend's dad's vette c5 yesterday and it shifts like a baby with no jerkiness whatsoever... she is also the worst stick driver i've ever seen and even her shifts are smooth. I also drove a friends 06 wrx last week and that also shifts like butter. I'm beginning to have a passion of hate for my clutch, it's just frustrating trying to shift smooth when there's nothing you can do.

Where exactly is this spring that you removed?
Look on the left side of the clutch pedal and you'll see what looks like a coil over spring. Pop out the two c-clips holding the pins in, pop the pins out, and that's it. Be careful pulling the pins out. The top one on mine shot out and got lost behind the fuse box to never be found again. Thank god it doesn't rattle.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:26 AM
kRAM
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
I just remembered reading another thread involving coins taped together along with double sided tape and put on the clutch to stop it from traveling all the way to the floor and found this http://g35driver.com/forums/engine-d...al-remedy.html
It looks like this could be applied to our cars also but not 100% sure.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:12 AM
Sytrash

I had the same problem. I found that pressing the clutch half way helps, but releasing cluch slowly really helps in regular driving. Also, at higher rev (3K-4K regular driving), it is smoother...it's telling us to drive it like it suppose to be driven....
Old 07-24-2009, 09:24 PM
FlState

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup the way i beat the jerking in normal driving especially from 1st-2nd is by letting go the clutch slowly.. Do u guys know the technical reason why it jerks?
Old 07-24-2009, 10:28 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
That's a big reason I got the auto,if any shifting problems I can figure it out.go to the dealer and blame the clutch,I'm sure they would be helpful, or not.lets face it for a lux.car these transmissions should work a little better.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:06 PM
kRAM
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kRAM
I just remembered reading another thread involving coins taped together along with double sided tape and put on the clutch to stop it from traveling all the way to the floor and found this http://g35driver.com/forums/engine-d...al-remedy.html
It looks like this could be applied to our cars also but not 100% sure.
I tried out the remedy suggested above and its been 3 days and love it. So much easier to shift because its pretty much doing what the OP was doing. Pushing the clutch pedal half way. Another plus is that it only costs $2 ( because i already had the double sided tape). I suggest everyone try this if you are unhappy with the clutch pedal or already pushing the clutch half way when shifting.

*also if your going to try this don't make it to thick or else you may not be fully disengaging the clutch.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:01 PM
mcdonamw

So this works for the 09 G37s too?

I'm not familiar with any other G. I just got my first the other day and this shifting issue is KILLING ME. My RSX was so much better. This was supposed to be my dream car but the clutch is slowly killing it for me lol.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by mcdonamw
So this works for the 09 G37s too?

I'm not familiar with any other G. I just got my first the other day and this shifting issue is KILLING ME. My RSX was so much better. This was supposed to be my dream car but the clutch is slowly killing it for me lol.
Welcome! Yes, this adjustment will help make the G37 clutch easier to operate. I've done it and it does help some in getting a better clutch feel.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
change your clutch will solve the problem 100%. i just got my jwt clutch and flywheel and it feels 100x better than stock. doesn't gives that nasty jerk when going onto 2nd gear no more. only problem is the flywheel gives out this nasty chattering sound like a diesel truck.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:52 PM
scott0356

Tried the $2 fix

Wow, what a difference. It takes a few minutes to get used to the low engagement point but it makes shifting so much smoother, particularly the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I used some short pieces cut from of 1" dia polyurethane rod I had laying around. It only took about 10 minutes.

Last edited by scott0356; 09-08-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: remove extra signature
Old 05-17-2010, 12:53 AM
G2Envy

Originally Posted by kRAM
I tried out the remedy suggested above and its been 3 days and love it. So much easier to shift because its pretty much doing what the OP was doing. Pushing the clutch pedal half way. Another plus is that it only costs $2 ( because i already had the double sided tape). I suggest everyone try this if you are unhappy with the clutch pedal or already pushing the clutch half way when shifting.

*also if your going to try this don't make it to thick or else you may not be fully disengaging the clutch.
Bringing this back from the dead as I just tried this mod out.

I super glued 7 nickels for the lower "stop" and stuck it to the back plate with double sided tape. For the top "stop" I super glued 3 nickels and stuck it with double sided tape. After doing this I tried to start the car and it was a no go. I crawled underneath to see if everything was making correct contact and saw that the top one did not touch the black sensor thingy. I'm guessing this is to let the car know when the clutch is depressed in order to start the car.

I remedied this by adding another penny to the 3 nickels. I didn't want to wait for the super glue to dry so I used another piece of double sided tape. So the bottom is now the thickness of 2 pieces of double sided tape, 3 nickels, and 1 penny.

I drove around today with this and it was perfect. The car started without a problem and I was able to feel where the clutch engagement was. I now only have to lift my foot maybe 1-2 inches before it engages. Great little mod here.

Last edited by G2Envy; 05-17-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Frankyg37s

yep i also did this last week much improved well worth it had everything on hand
Old 09-09-2010, 10:55 PM
clarkperez2334

talking about problems in switching gears here, can you help me find the best quality of clutch? really need to replace mine asap... i'm having 2nd thoughts of buying Fuji brand.. is this brand ok? your suggestions and opinions are very much appreciated.. thanks!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Weiboy718
change your clutch will solve the problem 100%. i just got my jwt clutch and flywheel and it feels 100x better than stock. doesn't gives that nasty jerk when going onto 2nd gear no more. only problem is the flywheel gives out this nasty chattering sound like a diesel truck.

This is what I was wondering ....obviously if EVERYONE feels the EXACT SAME WAY about the clutch engagement, there's GOT TO BE a remidy or aftermarket clutch or flywheel that solves the jerkiness? I got my G last week and thought to myself "did I really get WORSE at driving a MT?"

Its atleast comforting to know that this IS an issue with the car.

SO...the answer is, yes aftermarket clutches/flywheels help???
Old 11-16-2010, 01:00 PM
3BEP6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody else tried to remove the assist spring? Post some feedback please.

The shifting on G does suck and is frustrating to get 50/50 smooth shifts(not a newbie in MT, drove almost everything you can think of but G's shifting is something else)..

Quick Reply: Help Not pushing the clutch all the way to the floor????