Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil analysis on Eneos

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:27 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Around 5300mi. I'll post the pdf tonight.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:22 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Great. Im looking forward to it and the VOA!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 PM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by philter25
Great. Im looking forward to it and the VOA!
Yes maybe the VOA can shed some light on the slightly elevated lead readings with Eneos, as well as viscosity, TBN and add pack.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 PM
ucla bruin

Here it is!

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ml#post2939984
Old 07-20-2010, 09:34 PM
philter25

Color me shocked.... but in a good way. Your and BB's UOAs look great. Hopefully someone smarter than I can explain how something this simple is looking that good.

Post this on BITOG if you get a chance...... maybe someone knows something about this blend and can shed some light on why both your UOAs look very good in an engine thats pretty hard on oil.

Last edited by philter25; 07-20-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:18 PM
CougarRed

Thanks for posting!!

So now we have 4 Eneos reports, all on mature engines well past break in. The average Eneos OCI is 6800 miles. The universal average for our engine is based on ~4500 miles. Here's the Eneos Avg vs. Universal Avg on wear metals:

Al 6 vs 5
Chr 0 vs. 0
Iron 10 vs. 19
Copper 4 vs. 11
Lead 9 vs. 5
Tin 1 vs 1

Iron and copper are great, especially considering the length of the Eneos OCIs!!

Given what Blackstone just said about Nissan bearings in the Ultra report that was high on lead, any insight into the Eneos lead readings nearly twice above average?

Last edited by CougarRed; 07-20-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:52 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by CougarRed
Given what Blackstone just said about Nissan bearings in the Ultra report that was high on lead, any insight into the Eneos lead readings nearly twice above average?
That's interesting.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/2910818-post122.html

In one of BBs Eneos UOAs they blamed the lead on a "particle streak." Not sure why they're downplaying it in that UOA but making a bigger deal about it in the Penn Ultra UOA.

This stuff makes my brain hurt.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 AM
philter25

Originally Posted by CougarRed
So now we have 4 Eneos reports, all on mature engines well past break in.
^ I think this might be worth noting. I still come from the school of thought to use the factory fill for the first few thousand miles and then an oil with a lot of additives and anti-wear agents for the first 15,000 miles to protect the valvetrain components and help with break in. Once an engine is broken in, after 20,000 miles I'll put in whatever oil is wearing the best in this engine, and right now this looks like a front runner.

The average Eneos OCI is 6800 miles. The universal average for our engine is based on ~4500 miles. Here's the Eneos Avg vs. Universal Avg on wear metals:

Al 6 vs 5
Chr 0 vs. 0
Iron 10 vs. 19
Copper 4 vs. 11
Lead 9 vs. 5
Tin 1 vs 1

Iron and copper are great, especially considering the length of the Eneos OCIs!!

I wouldnt take what Blackstone says as the holy word. They are just speculating on what certain issues COULD be based on past experience and Im sure theres a lot of copy and paste done, and it varies from tech to tech depending on who is running the samples. And by comparing 4 Eneos reports to the universal average for every single UOA ran on our car still leaves some funny wiggle room with your statistics. You are comparing a data set of 4 to a data set of thousands. Yea, theres slightly increased lead wear over the average, but consider the Eneos was run over a longer OCI, and you should always chop off the extremes when comparing datasets.... but thats tough to do with only 4.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:42 PM
SM_Shadowman

Just changed my oil yesterday and sent in my Eneos sample to Blackstone, nearly 5K miles and asked for a TBN. So I'll post back here once I hear from them.

My neighbor is in the process of moving and trying to unload much of his possessions; long story short I got a case of Red Line for about half what he paid. Couldn't turn that down. So that's what I'm running this time. But if this UOA turns out OK, when I'm back to paying regular prices I'll most certainly use the Eneos again.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 AM
philter25

^ Id be curious to your thoughts on if there was any noticeable driving difference between the 2 oils. I have probably one more Redline oil change in me before Im at the end of break in (I just did an oil change and Im probably at 13k miles now) and Im still undecided on what to use next. Eneos, Ultra, Plat, or just stay with Redline.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 AM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by philter25
^ Id be curious to your thoughts on if there was any noticeable driving difference between the 2 oils. I have probably one more Redline oil change in me before Im at the end of break in (I just did an oil change and Im probably at 13k miles now) and Im still undecided on what to use next. Eneos, Ultra, Plat, or just stay with Redline.
So far seems the same. There weren't any noticeable noises/clicking sounds on the Eneos or with the Nissan ester oil (supposedly was factory fill and also used for my first change), and car runs equally smoothly on all 3 oils. Eneos is certainly much cheaper than Red Line if it's all the same.

One thing is I reset the gas mileage counter at each oil change and I actually got about 1-2 mpg less than using Eneos than with Nissan ester oil. But I don't put much faith in that because there are too many other factors to consider. Nevertheless I'll see if there's any significant difference with Red Line.

Unless there's something like a VVEL tick issue, I don't think it's likely one would notice a real driving difference between brands of oil (unless maybe tracking the car or pushing it to extremes that might cause overheating, etc.) More likely I think it would come down to long-term wear; hence the UOAs.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:11 PM
SM_Shadowman

Here it is. Shearing this time was comparable to Nissan Ester oil. Posting in UOA thread also.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:41 PM
ucla bruin

Oil analysis - ENEOS at 6795mi interval

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
interesting!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM
ucla bruin

ENEOS is good stuff.

Thanks mod for digging up the old thread and merging the post.

Quick Reply: Oil analysis on Eneos