Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil analysis on Eneos

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:56 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a good deal.

I'm looking to do another one soon, should be posting that result as well.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:30 PM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
I'm looking to do another one soon, should be posting that result as well.
That would be awesome! What's the OCI this time?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:17 PM
SM_Shadowman

Hmmm. I used ester for my first change, and have been thinking about switching to red line. But I might have changed my mind here.

$40 for a 6-pack on Amazon with free shipping + API certified.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
Hmmm. I used ester for my first change, and have been thinking about switching to red line. But I might have changed my mind here.

$40 for a 6-pack on Amazon with free shipping + API certified.
The cost on Amazon (where I got my last case) is cheaper than any site vendors or even local vendors have provided me so far. The no shipping is great and makes it cheaper than buying locally where you have to still pay sales tax.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:26 PM
SM_Shadowman

I also have Prime because we buy a lot of things on Amazon. Or do I buy a lot of things on Amazon because I have Prime? There's obviously some kind of self-perpetuating cycle there, but at least it feels like I'm coming out ahead, and that's good enough.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:25 PM
SM_Shadowman

BTW do we know if Eneos contains esters? I believe the products called "fully synthetic" do, but the 5W-30 isn't labeled that way. Not sure if it matters, just wondering.

And does everyone here who uses it use the 5W-30?
Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 PM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
And does everyone here who uses it use the 5W-30?
ucla bruin and Black Betty posted UOAs showing they used 5W-30.

I don't know if it's fully synthetic or semi-synthetic. I don't know if it has esters.

I just know that wear metal counts are low and it retains its weight even at extended OCIs. And it's relatively cheap. And it meets the owner's manual requirements.

Good enough for me to try it and get my own UOAs.

Last edited by CougarRed; 06-09-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
^^^ Exactly what he said ^^^.

No, it's not fully synthetic. It doesn't claim that it contains ester additives, so I presume it doesn't. If that's a concern, choose a different oil.

I've had several people criticize my choice and tell me that they won't use it because it's not a full synthetic and doesn't contain ester additives (specifically the 5w30 weight).

I get consistent performance with 7,500+ mile OCI. No VVEL ticking from my engine ever. I'm not really concerned about anything else.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:18 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
*Puts on flame suit*

My only concern would be with the TBN. When I was debating which oil to switch a few months ago, I found a VOA for 5w20 Eneos on BITOG and it had a 2 TBN, which is pretty low. I wanted something for extended OCI's because Im on schedule 2, so that for me was a negative..... but that UOA also had a lot of Moly, and yours doesnt BB so something doesnt add up. That UOA I saw on BITOG must be wrong.

Mike posted the manufacturer's specs, but I wouldnt put 100% faith in that.

All the wear's and viscosities on the UOA's for Eneos looks great, but so far I havent seen a UOA with TBN.... so if theres one out there, can someone point me in the right direction?

VOA's are good because you can see the initial viscosity and see how much, if any, it breaks down over time and you can see the additives.

My debate when deciding which to change to was comparing VOA's from all different oil's to that of the Nissan Ester Oil. My criteria was something that wouldnt break down and shear, like numerous UOA's proved the Nissan Ester Oil does, and something that had a similar additive package that the Nissan Ester Oil did for my initial engines break in period. Also, due to the VVEL potential tick issue and because Nissan reccomends an oil with Ester additives, I decided I would want my oil to have the same properties....... which is why I went with Redline, even though it costs much more.

But for me, since my car only has 7k miles, it was more important for break in to get something similar with similar additives as the Nissan Ester Oil. Thats probably in due part to my ****-ness, which I fully acknowledge. Once the engines broken in, Ill be making a switch to something cheaper if another proven option is available, and so far Eneos looks pretty promising and performs very very well for a non-fully synthetic oil.

Pennzoil Ultra looks promising, but it hasnt been out that long and there arent many UOA's on it but hopefully there will be by the end of the year and Eneos UOA's look fantastic, but I havent seen anything with a TBN, and the only one I did see was very very low for a VOA.

UCLA Bruin, Blackstone offered to do a free VOA for you in your first post, correct? Take them up on their offer!

If I saw a VOA on this and once a few of the Pennzoil Ultra's come in, my next debate would be wether to jump on the Eneos or Pennzoil Ultra for the duration of my cars life after I break it in with Redline.

And of course, scientific proof > a guys opinion so thanks UCLA bruin and BB for the UOA's.

I cant believe people are still using the Nissan Ester oil after numerous independent UOA's show it breaking down.

Last edited by philter25; 06-10-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Philter: How old was this VoA? Oil compositions do change.

Also, AFAIK, the 5W20 is a full synthetic, while a 5W30 is not.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 AM
ucla bruin

So is VOA free or no? I don't remember if they offered me the first VOA for free.....
Old 06-10-2010, 01:06 PM
philter25

Originally Posted by Mike
Philter: How old was this VoA? Oil compositions do change.

Also, AFAIK, the 5W20 is a full synthetic, while a 5W30 is not.
Eneos 0w-20 - Bob Is The Oil Guy

I found it, it was 0w20 from 2007, so not the same spec, and its 3 years old so it could have changed. But it showed a low TBN

VQ Oil Analysis and Info - Page 20 - MY350Z.COM Forums

And this one was a 5w40.... just my luck! Also showed a particle streak.... but not the best UOA. For the miles on the OCI, the TBN is pretty low.

Unfortunately neither is the 5w30 that these guys are using and both are older, so there very well could have been a change in the additive packages.

So is VOA free or no? I don't remember if they offered me the first VOA for free.....
VOA's are not normally free, they are the same price as the UOA.... however, to quote your first post:

Comments:
Universal averages show normal wear for the Nissan VQ37 engine after 5,000 miles of oil use. Your 5W/30 oil was in use just 3,750 miles and all wear metals read at or below averages. That is a great indication of normally wearing parts at 25,000 miles. Sodium at 58 ppm could be additive in this oil rather than from coolant especially since no potassium was present. Send us a virgin oil and we'll test it (no charge) to find out for sure. Low silicon & insolubles show normal air and oil filtration. No gas was present in this sample. Try 5,000 miles. Wear should look great
Sounds like they werent sure of the Sodium and wanted to do a VOA for their informational purposes. See if the offer still stands!

With a VOA showing a higher TBN along with your and BB's UOA's, this would probably jump to the upper tier of the better oils to use in our car.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:37 PM
ucla bruin

Thanks for digging that up. I'll most likely send in the virgin sample and do everything. VOA, UOA, TBN since there's no complete analysis on Eneos right now.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:55 PM
philter25

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Thanks for digging that up. I'll most likely send in the virgin sample and do everything. VOA, UOA, TBN since there's no complete analysis on Eneos right now.
Glad to hear it. Im looking forward to seeing it along with the Pennzoil Ultra UOA's.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:01 PM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good stuff dude. I'm gonna have to order some for my next oil change.

Quick Reply: Oil analysis on Eneos