Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Cobb AccessTuner Race Tuning Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:12 PM
GNLuver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobb AccessTuner Race Tuning Thread

Well, I have had a chance to load up the stock map and take a look....the race software is pretty good, even though it is still Beta. The graph doesn't always update, but all in all, it looks pretty good to do some tuning.....here is what I have so far, with some questions to get the discussion started.

1. The throttle position settings on a stock map only open the throttle to 70% according to the parameters. So when the pedal is at 95%, the throttles are only open 70%. Any one at Cobb have some information as to the reasoning for limiting the throttle opening? Maintaining intake air velocity has been thrown around, just looking for some clarification.

2. It would be nice to use the maps done by Cobb (Stage 1, Stage 2, etc..) as a baseline, especially if you just want to update some easy parameters such as speed and rpm fuel cutoff.

3. Does the ECU control the fan turn on temperature? If so is it a read/write parameter? Just curious.....our cars run hot and it would be nice to set the fan turn on temperature around 160-180.

4. I would really like to start with the stage 2+ map and do a MAF calibration in the MAF table following the Cobb recommended way of doing it as outlined in their tuning guide. Unfortunately, it looks like the Cobb maps are locked. Has anyone else tried to open the Cobb maps?

That should get us all started. Let the discussion begin. I am looking forward to a good discussion so that we can all learn how to better tune the car.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cobb doesn't normally roam these threads as they have to monitor their own forums. You have more of a chance of getting a detailed answer asking in their territory. I'm getting my car custom tuned next Friday, so hopefully my tuner won't have any problems using the Beta version, we'll see.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:38 AM
chamelieon

1. I believe its done for better fuel atomization and air velocity and such. and its actually limited to 87-89% ..ive datalogged all the cars parameters and it never goes above that. I doubt we will see 10hp from that extra 11% throttle but who knows. what does erk me is how laggy the throttle responce is because the voltage curve or the pedal is not linear .. as in its made to be delayed on purpose all so grandmas can drive our cars and have a smooth ride.

2. Im sure their locked for a reason, they dont want you to see that they havent done crap to those maps LOL I datalogged all the maps and only differences to the fuel was made hence stage2 runs rich as hell. other than that timing didnt change at all. I really hope you have access to change anything you want regardless if you start with those maps as a base.

3. Im pretty sure the software should have the ability to turn the fan on and if its not showing they probably figured it was a useless feature for right now but might add it in the future, but the ecu does control that, its a reading from the coolant temp sensor.

4. I will be finally taking a crack hopefully on the software and slapping the car on the dyno on sat. and I do hope I can turn off MAF sensors and switch to MAP based tuning! its so much better!

and last but not least you need a dyno to extract as much power as you can from a car, messing with the software alone can only do so little. Hopefully no one ends up blowing their motor up! LOL
Old 07-10-2009, 03:12 AM
akuma_83

Damn beat me to it ! Was gonna post something about this... gotta get going but i will be back to read and find out more info, if not put in my own $0.02, shoots !
Old 07-10-2009, 09:00 AM
willizm

I've been in contact with a cobb authorized tuner in Chicago area. They are in the process of getting the Pro Tuner software, but from what I've been reading, there is very little difference between the two apps. I guess the only drawbacks are that the race software and/or map marries with 1 AP only and the pro tuner software allows the tuning shop to lock the map or encrypt it. Anyone else finding any difference between the two?
Old 07-10-2009, 09:14 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
has any one data logged and sent the info to cobb for a custom map? wondering if its worth it? i really don't want to drive 4 hours to cobb to get a tune
Old 07-10-2009, 10:10 AM
chamelieon

Originally Posted by whiddles
has any one data logged and sent the info to cobb for a custom map? wondering if its worth it? i really don't want to drive 4 hours to cobb to get a tune
thats called an E tune, and can be done if you dont have any tuners in your area. I should be able to do that once i have the pro software.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:38 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm free this sat, is that good for you?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Rapture37

Glad to see this thread, and look forward to everyones input to finally tune our cars how they should be. I haven't had too much time to play with it, but am going to do more data logging today.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:08 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im free. Chamelieon how much you gonna charge to do the e tune? I don't want my **** jacked up lol
Old 07-10-2009, 12:57 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
^ Im gonna be at your shop 4 sharp.

Just need the address, pm me or shoot me a text yo.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:53 PM
TravisCOBB

Originally Posted by GNLuver
Well, I have had a chance to load up the stock map and take a look....the race software is pretty good, even though it is still Beta. The graph doesn't always update, but all in all, it looks pretty good to do some tuning.....here is what I have so far, with some questions to get the discussion started.

1. The throttle position settings on a stock map only open the throttle to 70% according to the parameters. So when the pedal is at 95%, the throttles are only open 70%. Any one at Cobb have some information as to the reasoning for limiting the throttle opening? Maintaining intake air velocity has been thrown around, just looking for some clarification.
On some cars, the throttle opening isn't critical for power-production, i.e. you wont flow any more air at 70% than at 100% but I will confirm this. You should be able to alter these tables as you see fit to give a more linear pedal response.

2. It would be nice to use the maps done by Cobb (Stage 1, Stage 2, etc..) as a baseline, especially if you just want to update some easy parameters such as speed and rpm fuel cutoff.
You can download the OTS maps and use them as basemaps. However, if the map does not match the software (you can't use an manual map on an automatic car) then the map will not open. In short, the maps are not locked.

3. Does the ECU control the fan turn on temperature? If so is it a read/write parameter? Just curious.....our cars run hot and it would be nice to set the fan turn on temperature around 160-180.
You should be able to alter this function, but I will consult with the engineers and get back to you.

4. I would really like to start with the stage 2+ map and do a MAF calibration in the MAF table following the Cobb recommended way of doing it as outlined in their tuning guide. Unfortunately, it looks like the Cobb maps are locked. Has anyone else tried to open the Cobb maps?
Once again, the maps are not locked but you must use the appropriate base map made for model, year and transmission on your car.

Originally Posted by Staples
Cobb doesn't normally roam these threads as they have to monitor their own forums. You have more of a chance of getting a detailed answer asking in their territory. I'm getting my car custom tuned next Friday, so hopefully my tuner won't have any problems using the Beta version, we'll see.
We do keep an eye on these forums, so please post questions and PM me directly if they are not being answered in a timely manner!

Travis
COBB Tuning
Old 07-13-2009, 08:11 PM
GNLuver

I have tried using the stock maps and they match the vehicle type that AccessTuner Reports.
The exact error I receive is Invalid Base Map File. Please check vehicle and vendor of map file (5:158)

Thanks for answering the questions.....also, a cheat sheet to the advanced switche would be nice as well.....
Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 PM
chamelieon

Originally Posted by whiddles
im free. Chamelieon how much you gonna charge to do the e tune? I don't want my **** jacked up lol
I cant even say until I get all my testing done and if that goes by great then I will purchase the pro software and once I have that in my hands then we can talk, but until then im just another knowledgeable forum user
Old 07-13-2009, 10:10 PM
sharif@forged
Former Sponsor

To add to what Travis@Cobb said, oftentimes, the throttle is open 100%, but because of how the voltage is scaled and calculated, you may only see 70-95% TPS inputs. This is fairly common on a lot of cars. The slope of the TPS function is definitely non-linear on every production car, but it should be opened 100%, even though it might be logging differently.

Quick Reply: Cobb AccessTuner Race Tuning Thread