Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Cobb AccessTuner Race Tuning Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:01 AM
kaos2774
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GNLuver
I have tried using the stock maps and they match the vehicle type that AccessTuner Reports.
The exact error I receive is Invalid Base Map File. Please check vehicle and vendor of map file (5:158)

Thanks for answering the questions.....also, a cheat sheet to the advanced switche would be nice as well.....
I'm having the same problem...
Old 07-14-2009, 01:03 AM
TJHG37S

When first installing Cobb to my G37 at what point should it ask me to save stock map? I got to the point where it asked me to install a map and I stopped b/c I think it should've asked to save my stock map first, right?

I don't have a manual and the Cobb forums didn't really have this info..
Old 07-14-2009, 01:06 AM
kame_sanjo

it will ask you when you hook it up to your car and try to upload a new map. as i found out from someone at cobb when i called.... your car will have a stock map regardless so i dont know what the use of this function is.

i told it to get rid of my 'stock' map and months later i uninstalled ap with no problems and drove it to the shop.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:43 PM
TravisCOBB

Originally Posted by TJHG37S
When first installing Cobb to my G37 at what point should it ask me to save stock map? I got to the point where it asked me to install a map and I stopped b/c I think it should've asked to save my stock map first, right?

I don't have a manual and the Cobb forums didn't really have this info..
Basically this function exists to save the ROM that is on your car. So if you had an aftermarket reflash perhaps and you didn't want to lose this, you could save it as the "stock" map. If your car is just 100% stock, you can skip this step and just install the AccessPORT. There is a stock map already on the unit so that when you uninstall, a stock map will be loaded back onto your car.

Travis
COBB Tuning
Old 07-14-2009, 01:09 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
UpRev.......give it couple months....no one going to use cobb no more.....it's one of those things that gets marketed cause there's not alot of other options out, so its a get in get out make money and have fun while it last kind of thing, but since now uprev and technosquare is ready.....give me 1 good reason why to go with Cobb....
Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G37Rider92649
UpRev.......give it couple months....no one going to use cobb no more.....it's one of those things that gets marketed cause there's not alot of other options out, so its a get in get out make money and have fun while it last kind of thing, but since now uprev and technosquare is ready.....give me 1 good reason why to go with Cobb....
No offense, but that is quite possibly the lamest argument I have read on hear in a while. That's a joke.... Technosquare, UpRev, and Cobb all do the same thing. Cobb gives the end user full access to the maps and code plus additional hardware, and you think it is an inferior product to UpRev and Techosquare? Can you really give me a technical reason that Cobb is so inferior?

What reason can you give to go with the others over Cobb? Anything other than your marketing argument? That's a hell of an argument....

I like all 3 products:

**Tadashi is a great tuner (Technosquare's tuner), but 99.9% of the time he is not going to do anything different than any other tuner. It is very limiting in that unless you live in SoCal, you have to use an off the shelf tune, and if you want to make any changes you have to go back to Technosquare/Tadashi. That stinks.... And what about if something happens to Tadashi.... Plus the hassle of sending in my ECU, no thanks.

**UpRev Orisis offers basically the same thing as Technosqare (you can send the ECU and they re-program). They also have the Orisis Standard plus Cipher option, which allows the UpRev to operate much the same way the AccessPort does (load tunes, look at engine codes, monitor parameters, etc.). They also make you pay for additional tunes. Cobb's are free. UpRev has a limited number of tuners, and anyone can tune the Cobb. The Orisis tuner version is much more than the Cobb version (it is basically like the tuner version of the Cobb). UpRev charges $200 extra for the tuner version, while Cobb's is free. Not to mention that the UpRev is not out yet....

**Cobb offers an off the shelf tune just like Technosquare, but you don't have to do anything but load SW from the AccessPort. Not to mention all of their off the shelf tunes are on their website and free (Where are Technosquare's and UpRev's). So, with Cobb you get a tune, the ability to have it tuned ANYWHERE, and the hardware that allows you to check engine codes, view important parameters, etc. This is all for about the same price as any other "tune" out there. This seems like a winner to me. I know Cobb had a few issues with their "dongle", but nothing major from the sounds of it.

I would like to hear what you think about this with a more technical argument....

EDIT: Since you asked, here's more than one reason to go with Cobb:
1. It is the least expensive option. TechnoSquare offers nothing like it, and UpRev would be at least $200 more when available.
2. No shipping of the ECU.
3. Free maps/updates.
4. Maps are on their website and unlocked.
5. Anyone decent tuner can tune it any where a dyno is available (or street tune if that is your thing).
6. The AccessPort offers more than just a tune. It can read/clear engine codes, view important parameters, etc.
7. Technical Support via the phone or email.
8. Lots of dealers and tuners. You are not relying on one tuner (like Tadashi).

Last edited by jran76; 07-14-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:34 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

o0o0 damnnnnn hahahaha..its ok bro... COBB SVCKS...u can just call me a hater than haha..argument? i was arguing? no way i was criticizing..oh yeah, I use to have Cobb and supported that shiet I admit it!!....Not no more though!!! Have u ever got your 350z or g35 tuned before?

I stand next to UpRev, hands down. Next up is Technosquare for me.

I never used Cobb Tuning PRO-TUNER so I CANT SAY FOR THAT, but that accessport pocket hand-held crap is one of the most lamest shiet I ever used or bought for my car
Old 07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
jran76

o0o0 damnnnnn hahahaha..its ok bro... COBB SVCKS...u can just call me a hater than haha..argument? i was arguing? no way i was criticizing..oh yeah, I use to have Cobb and supported that shiet I admit it!!....Not no more though!!! Have u ever got your 350z or g35 tuned before?

I stand next to UpRev, hands down. Next up is Technosquare for me.

I never used Cobb Tuning PRO-TUNER so I CANT SAY FOR THAT, but that accessport pocket hand-held crap is one of the most lamest shiet I ever used or bought for my car
What was lame about it? Any insight you can share? I've seen you post countless post bashing a product or vendor with no real evidence to back up what you are saying. I know there are some great vendors and tuners in SoCal, but there are others out there too....

I've actually had an 03 Z, and soon my 09 G37 tuned. I've used Technosquare before. 5 years ago it was a good option, now... well, it's pretty 2005. I also had an 04 G35 that I did not tune. I've been doing this for a while.... This is my 4th VQ engined car over the past 12 years. I know you have done a lot to your G's in the past, but I like to do everything myself so Cobb is a good option.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but this forum is a joke with post like that. This forum probably has the most mis-information of any I have ever been on. There are constant post of people just running their mouths with no real knowledge of our cars or products available. I just don't see the point in posting if you have no knowledge to offer. It is a public forum, so the public can do as they wish. It's entertaining, but not very informative.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Abdiel

Originally Posted by jran76
This is not directed at anyone in particular, but this forum is a joke with post like that. This forum probably has the most mis-information of any I have ever been on. There are constant post of people just running their mouths with no real knowledge of our cars or products available. I just don't see the point in posting if you have no knowledge to offer. It is a public forum, so the public can do as they wish. It's entertaining, but not very informative.
+1 to that.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:43 PM
GNLuver

That is really why I started the thread....real information....
I come from the realm where V6's make 900hp and run 10.0's on stock blocks. Single turbo, mind you, in a granny car.
Travis and Shariff have chimed in already and we are looking for some answers to the questions I have asked to start off this post....
All constructive answers/insight, please speak up.....
Old 07-14-2009, 07:11 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Originally Posted by jran76
What was lame about it? Any insight you can share? I've seen you post countless post bashing a product or vendor with no real evidence to back up what you are saying. I know there are some great vendors and tuners in SoCal, but there are others out there too....

I've actually had an 03 Z, and soon my 09 G37 tuned. I've used Technosquare before. 5 years ago it was a good option, now... well, it's pretty 2005. I also had an 04 G35 that I did not tune. I've been doing this for a while.... This is my 4th VQ engined car over the past 12 years. I know you have done a lot to your G's in the past, but I like to do everything myself so Cobb is a good option.

So, could Cobb do FI on a VQ? Nice to see you had experience with VQs too as for I did, I went boosted twice in less than 6 months so I delt with all ECU stuff, from positive to negative to a freaking dead defective ecu. Although I support the community and talk to MANY MANY people over PMs, not worth my time arguing with you, although I know your very knowledgeable on your subject and opinion also. It's cool, I stand next to MY OPINION & Knowledge than, Cobb Svcks to me. Fine, sure, it works, but why buy it when there's more reputable options for the VQs. Thank you for your input and have a nice day

As for me, ecu flash - UpRev
Engine Management - HKS Fcon Vpro
Tuner Choice - GTM

Done deal bash me all day
Old 07-14-2009, 07:36 PM
jran76

So, could Cobb do FI on a VQ?

As for me, ecu flash - UpRev
Engine Management - HKS Fcon Vpro
Tuner Choice - GTM
Yes, you could tune a FI engine with Cobb. Again, it is no different than UpRev or TechnoSquare in that regard. It is probably not ideal, but can be done none the less. Obviously, something like the F-CON Vpro or Haltech would be better (as you point out), but much more expensive.

I am well aware of what you have done. I spend a lot of time in the FI section at my350z.com. As you can see, I have been on both sites since 02/03. I have seen the various procharger to turbo setups you have run from GTM.... There is nothing wrong with your choices. UpRev, HKS F-CON, and GTM are all great products and vendors; some of the best at what they do. I just don't think from a technical standpoint Cobb is a whole lot different than the UpRev tuner, and it is $200 less.

I will add one last comment about what Cobb, and even UpRev/GTM/TechnoSquare are doing.... This is the future of tuning. Modern cars are so complex, and technology is at the point now where tuning the factory ECU is the way you are going to see most tuners tune cars in the future. Only highly modified cars will have use for a full stand-alone EMS. You see this even with GTM, and their turbo kits now. Again, what GTM, UpRev, Cobb, and TechnoSqaure are doing is all similar. The tool they are using may be different, but the end result is the same modified existing ECU parameters. All of the above listed methods have access to the same parameters, it is just a matter of what values they plug in. You can only do so much with the factory ECU, so every tuner will face the same limitations when tuning the factory ECU.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:14 PM
willizm

Tuff crowd in here. So here is the deal. I'm at GRD in Chicago right now getting a dyno tune using the Cobb ap and race software. GRD is a well known Cobb tuner in Chicago that primarily work on sti's and z/g's. We are in the middle of the tune and the only issue is that the race software doesn't have mapping capabilities for the cam. I'm going to post my results up later with dynos before and after along with a/f ratios since so many seem to be concerned with the stillen gen3 cai.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by willizm
Tuff crowd in here. So here is the deal. I'm at GRD in Chicago right now getting a dyno tune using the Cobb ap and race software. GRD is a well known Cobb tuner in Chicago that primarily work on sti's and z/g's. We are in the middle of the tune and the only issue is that the race software doesn't have mapping capabilities for the cam. I'm going to post my results up later with dynos before and after along with a/f ratios since so many seem to be concerned with the stillen gen3 cai.
Cool. I think your mods are probably the most common/typical. I would like to see what they can do.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:51 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

It's not a tough crowd, it's just the my350z and g35driver style crowd, g37 will not survive being in those forums with their stupid intake questions etc. But now we bring it over here and educated and expand.

jran76, I respect your opinion. Fvck it and I spit on Cobb. I am directing toward their hand-held gadget more than their tuner software, ran into TOO MANY issues with that piece of shiet thing, and had post about it in many threads and talk to many people about them during meets here in SoCal. Care to have any insight? Nah too lazy, they got you for that and you seem to do a good job anyways I still stand next to my options, I can't find 1 good reason to go with Cobb, especially after the poor job they did on creating the hand-held system and it's features, stupid azz pre-loaded maps. And what sup with the issues of people's cars not starting after un-installing it? HAHAHA damnn

Last edited by G37Rider92649; 07-16-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Cobb AccessTuner Race Tuning Thread