Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How can you be sure that the dealer put the oil you specified?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:08 PM
njchen24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can you be sure that the dealer put the oil you specified?

Greetings:

Let assume that you bring you car to the dealer for an oil filter change. You specify that you want Ester or Synthetic oil and you are charged extra $$ for these oils. How can you be certain that they put the oil you specify and not some other cheaper brand or grade?
Let assume that there is a way to verify if your oil is Ester or synthetic. Will it be more economic to bring your own oil for service?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Pip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by njchen24
Greetings:

Let assume that you bring you car to the dealer for an oil filter change. You specify that you want Ester or Synthetic oil and you are charged extra $$ for these oils. How can you be certain that they put the oil you specify and not some other cheaper brand or grade?
Let assume that there is a way to verify if your oil is Ester or synthetic. Will it be more economic to bring your own oil for service?
I bring my own oil, but come on, it's an Infiniti dealer - not some poor GM schmuck that's about to go outa business.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:34 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly you can't know that they use the exact oil you request.....hell, you can't even be sure they pour in the oil you bring them. Granted, it IS Infiniti and they have no reason to lie to your face. They want you to return for service visits.

My only other option (and it is what I'm doing).....is doing oil changes myself and taking my car in for the big yearly check-ups. The initial investment in tools (socket set, ramps or jack/jack stands, oil drain pain) and the oil filter, oil, and drain bolt crush washers might seem to be a lot at first, but then once you can change your oil in the blink of an eye, it makes no sense not to do it yourself.

Infiniti made it INSANELY easy to change the oil and filter on our cars....4 bolts, fold back a flap, loosen oil pan bolt, drain oil, remove filter, drain oil, replace new filter, replace oil drain bolt, fill with oil. SIMPLE! I'm definitely a car maintenance newb and changed the oil in my G in an hour (and 50 minutes of that time was oil draining).

I guess it's just a satisfaction thing knowing I did the job, did it right, and took my time using the materials I wanted to use. Just my $.02.

Like I said previously, I doubt Infiniti would pour crappy bulk fill conventional oil in if you took in a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1. They really have no reason to waste their product when you brought your own and they just have to unscrew a cap on a jug. The only way to really verify the oil is through UOA (used oil analysis). Even then, I don't know if they exactly can tell the difference between different oils.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
At my dealership you can walk right into the service area and watch them service your car; it's encouraged. You can watch them pour in the oil you bring them. It will save you a few bucks. Don't bug the techs while they are working though.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:10 AM
Sytrash

I thought the manual specify that only synthetic oil should be used. So, the dealership should already be using it. Is other oil that much better? I used to do that when I own a Honda. U think infiniti still use some cheap oil?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:47 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
At my dealership you can walk right into the service area and watch them service your car; it's encouraged. You can watch them pour in the oil you bring them. It will save you a few bucks. Don't bug the techs while they are working though.
that's a lot of liability, isn't it -- having customers around lifts, heavy equipment, potentially slick surfaces, etc? (in the service area)
Old 07-01-2009, 10:58 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sytrash
I thought the manual specify that only synthetic oil should be used. So, the dealership should already be using it. Is other oil that much better? I used to do that when I own a Honda. U think infiniti still use some cheap oil?
No the manual does not say that.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
that's a lot of liability, isn't it -- having customers around lifts, heavy equipment, potentially slick surfaces, etc? (in the service area)
I doubt it. Most people who would care to go into the service bays and watch what's going on probably know their way around a garage at least a little bit and would know how to keep their hands off of anything and not bother the techs when they are working. Most customers don't go in there even though they are allowed. I go in to say hi to the techs and learn from watching them; for example I now know how to perform an alignment even though I don't have the equipment.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Alex57r

Hey Betty, so will the G run ok on regular oil?

I do remember having to bring my own oil to my local shop back in the day when if I did not, the oil was a mystery blend that came out of a barrel.... lol
Old 07-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Alex57r
Hey Betty, so will the G run ok on regular oil?

I do remember having to bring my own oil to my local shop back in the day when if I did not, the oil was a mystery blend that came out of a barrel.... lol
I've never used the Nissan ester oil in my car and have no problems in 44K miles. I've never had the VVEL noise though. I use Eneos semi synthetic now. I would probably run regular dino oil but I will be doing extended oil change intervals (probably 10K miles).
Old 07-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Any reputable dealership will allow you to watch your car being serviced. You may need to stay in a office/room with windows into the service bay(s), or sign a waiver.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:59 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
i never had any issues w/ the VVEL noise either and been using regular Quaker State oil the dealership uses. some dealerships will vary so beware
Old 07-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Alex57r

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I've never used the Nissan ester oil in my car and have no problems in 44K miles. I've never had the VVEL noise though. I use Eneos semi synthetic now. I would probably run regular dino oil but I will be doing extended oil change intervals (probably 10K miles).
How do u feel about Castrol Syntec Blend? Thats what I used in my Lexus. Will that buy me 5k miles between changes like it says?
Old 07-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Alex57r
How do u feel about Castrol Syntec Blend? Thats what I used in my Lexus. Will that buy me 5k miles between changes like it says?
I used to use it. I personally had no problems in lots of miles on my old car. It will easily get you 5K mile intervals, you can up to 7500 miles between changes per Infiniti if you are not in severe service. I used to use it with 8K to 10K intervals an older Nisssan for over 200K miles. You should have no problems.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:33 PM
ahfoh

The Castrol Edge claims they are better than Mobil 1. Any comments?
My car is about ready for the first oil change.

Quick Reply: How can you be sure that the dealer put the oil you specified?