Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How can you be sure that the dealer put the oil you specified?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I don't think it matters much at all which synthetic oil most of you guys use since you are changing it every 3K miles or so. You are really just wasting money by putting in synthetic if you are just going to change it on regular intervals IMO. It's mostly marketing hype.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:12 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I don't think it matters much at all which synthetic oil most of you guys use since you are changing it every 3K miles or so. You are really just wasting money by putting in synthetic if you are just going to change it on regular intervals IMO. It's mostly marketing hype.
Many years ago I read an article in Car and Driver (I think) that stated that 99% of oil changes were done waayyy before the oil had reached the end of its thermal life. The article also stated that there was very little difference between the brands and types of oils being used unless they were being used in high stress applications, ie 24hr racing. Don't think anyone in here does that with any cars that they may own.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I used to use it. I personally had no problems in lots of miles on my old car. It will easily get you 5K mile intervals, you can up to 7500 miles between changes per Infiniti if you are not in severe service. I used to use it with 8K to 10K intervals an older Nisssan for over 200K miles. You should have no problems.
Thanks BB
Old 07-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Sytrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
No the manual does not say that.
You are right. I checked...it was for transimission oil that they have specific Nissan things...

So, does it make a huge different? And, what oil do you recommend?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:30 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sytrash
You are right. I checked...it was for transimission oil that they have specific Nissan things...

So, does it make a huge different? And, what oil do you recommend?
Any good quality oil, whether synthetic or not, will perform well as Black Betty says assuming you're not running your car on a track. Synthetic has many benefits including better flow properties in cold temps but if you're planning to change the oil at 3750 it's not going to be worth it. At 7500 OCI it's probably a matter of preference but I would run synthetic at that interval. Penzoil Platinum is my preferred synthetic in that case. Also keep in mind a good quality filter is just as important if not more than the oil.

However I purchased a maintenance plan with 3750 OCI so Infiniti will be doing the changes with their overpriced Ester.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:11 PM
09xs

Originally Posted by Pip
I bring my own oil, but come on, it's an Infiniti dealer - not some poor GM schmuck that's about to go outa business.
LMFAO you made my day
Old 10-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Hooper

I was warned today by my service manager at the dealer that they would not do any more warranty work on my car if they ran into an oil-related problem and I couldn't provide proof of an oil change (meaning, a receipt from a professional shop). I've changed my oil in all my cars for 20 years. I know how to do it. They're saying that I need to start bringing it in from now on, just to make sure the car is being treated right. This blew my mind. I'm going to post a larger question thread about it.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:49 AM
pkhoopes

Originally Posted by Hooper
I was warned today by my service manager at the dealer that they would not do any more warranty work on my car if they ran into an oil-related problem and I couldn't provide proof of an oil change (meaning, a receipt from a professional shop). I've changed my oil in all my cars for 20 years. I know how to do it. They're saying that I need to start bringing it in from now on, just to make sure the car is being treated right. This blew my mind. I'm going to post a larger question thread about it.
Well, I would think that if you provide them with a reciept for the oil and filter that you purchased, that would be enough. Heck, I would even save the reciept for the ramps/jack stands, socket set, etc and show that to them if they get pissy about it!