Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Transmission Issues with 4th -> 3rd Downshift

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:12 PM
timcodon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine braking much better, but still there....This seems like what wht I got. So again, I'm not alone...to feel engine braking still there. I don't know if that's a good thing Infiniti goes from 5AT to 7AT, and then having this kind of ennoying issues /w its tranny. I'd prefered having 5TA, which might be slightly less in mpg, but it's been well tuned and it's a perfect driving with its tranny. As I said, I drove that 2008 G35 loaner, and I LOVED that feeling of driving that car, and no wonder ppl love G35....

Infifniti was trying make it even better, and making 7AT for G37, but it doesn't turn out well, IMO. Even though G35 has only 26x hp, but it feels as strong as G37's 320 hp.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:46 PM
RotaryRevn

Originally Posted by KLB
My G37 was made in Nov and needed the update. I'd say it is pretty much impossible for it to have the update, unless you just bought it and they installed it before you got it.

where does the car say when it was made? thanks
Old 07-24-2009, 07:48 PM
L-GT

Originally Posted by timcodon
Southwest Infiniti @Southwest-59 & Bissonnet. Service Adviser is Hector Diaz.

Wow, I've been talking to them for 2 weeks now trying to get the TSB update for our G37 Journey 7AT and they've been adamant on me being wrong. I'm starting to get tired of the bull**** I've gotten from them. Could you pm me the details of your transaction there and also, just to confirm, you did not have the sports package correct? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:16 PM
G37beijing

Originally Posted by RotaryRevn
where does the car say when it was made? thanks

Rotary: If you pop the hood and look to the left upper section, you should see a shiny metal ID plate. The date of manufacture is there.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:10 PM
RotaryRevn

Originally Posted by G37beijing
Rotary: If you pop the hood and look to the left upper section, you should see a shiny metal ID plate. The date of manufacture is there.
thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 01:51 PM
FastEddie50

After picking up my new Infiniti July 1st, and subsequently noticing the problem about 2 weeks later, I Googled the issue and came across a number of different reports.

Symptom:
When your foot is off the gas and the car is slowing, you can feel the engine engage in the braking and the 7-speed automatic transmission downshifts rather abruptly at around 20-22 MPH. I found this forum thread and after reading some of the posts, I scheduled with my dealership in Syracuse, NY.

I went to my dealer this morning and they installed the fix, which is a software update to some PROMs as best I understand. I haven't had much time to evaluate, but the first impression was only a slight improvement on the upshifting (seems smoother) and so far, minimal change on the coarse downshifting. I will report back as I get more data, but are there any other similar experiences after having the service?

I have just over 1,000 miles on my G37 sedan.

Last edited by FastEddie50; 07-28-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:57 PM
RotaryRevn

Originally Posted by FastEddie50
After picking up my new Infiniti July 1st, and subsequently noticing the problem about 2 weeks later, I Googled the issue and came across a number of different reports.

Symptom:
When your foot is off the gas and the car is slowing, you can feel the engine engage in the braking and the 7-speed automatic transmission downshifts rather abruptly at around 20-22 MPH. I found this forum thread and after reading some of the posts, I scheduled with my dealership in Syracuse, NY.

I went to my dealer this morning and they installed the fix, which is a software update to some PROMs as best I understand. I haven't had much time to evaluate, but the first impression was only a slight improvement on the upshifting (seems smoother) and so far, minimal change on the coarse downshifting. I will report back as I get more data, but are there any other similar experiences after having the service?

I have just over 1,000 miles on my G37 sedan.

I had the tsb done with about 1500 miles on my car. I noticed the rough downshifting was improving the more miles I put on the car before the tsb. Once I got about 1400 miles, it felt a "little" better. After the tsb, downshifting problem feels much better.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:04 PM
willio10244

I have the g37x sedan. its not the sport and I experience the harsh downshift. does this tsb apply for my car too or is it just for the sport?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:21 PM
KLB

Originally Posted by willio10244
I have the g37x sedan. its not the sport and I experience the harsh downshift. does this tsb apply for my car too or is it just for the sport?
Any Infiniti with a 7AT.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:22 PM
RotaryRevn

Originally Posted by willio10244

I have a non sports package and it did wonders for my car. The hard part was convincing the dealer that it would apply to my car.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:34 AM
vwalkerg37

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
G37 7At Woes

I have a sweet g37 sport coupe...or so I thought it was. I use the drive sport and steptronic feature almost every time I drive. When I first got the car...I loved it. I commute and bought the 7AT for mileage. I am getting almost 30 mpg so am happy there. Lately. I had noticed the shifting issue. I called the dealer and made an appointment for this week. They did not know anything about any TSB. (Riverside Infiniti). Now that I have read everything here (I am knew to this site) I am worried the dealer will not get the fix right. I have also noticed the "flare". Almost like the throttle blip that occurs when you are in manual mode. Is this the flare everyone is talking about?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:01 AM
Nocturnal
Registered Member

I am still unclear what the flare is. However, upon driving and the car is roughly at 30mph the car shifts into what I believe is 3rd gear and then it's as though the car goes into neutral and then as I have my foot on the pedal it just revs the **** out of the engine and then kicks back into 4th. Is this the flare that you guys are talking about?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:51 AM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
I am still unclear what the flare is. However, upon driving and the car is roughly at 30mph the car shifts into what I believe is 3rd gear and then it's as though the car goes into neutral and then as I have my foot on the pedal it just revs the **** out of the engine and then kicks back into 4th. Is this the flare that you guys are talking about?
Yes the rpms jumps (500-1000) before shifting into gear. How much of jump does your car produce?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:55 AM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vwalkerg37
I have a sweet g37 sport coupe...or so I thought it was. I use the drive sport and steptronic feature almost every time I drive. When I first got the car...I loved it. I commute and bought the 7AT for mileage. I am getting almost 30 mpg so am happy there. Lately. I had noticed the shifting issue. I called the dealer and made an appointment for this week. They did not know anything about any TSB. (Riverside Infiniti). Now that I have read everything here (I am knew to this site) I am worried the dealer will not get the fix right. I have also noticed the "flare". Almost like the throttle blip that occurs when you are in manual mode. Is this the flare everyone is talking about?
The flare occurs during normal acceleration and the car upshifts. The throttle blip would be the rev match feature when down shifting in to a lower gear either when slowing or trying to pass.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:59 AM
timcodon

Originally Posted by L-GT
Wow, I've been talking to them for 2 weeks now trying to get the TSB update for our G37 Journey 7AT and they've been adamant on me being wrong. I'm starting to get tired of the bull**** I've gotten from them. Could you pm me the details of your transaction there and also, just to confirm, you did not have the sports package correct? Thanks.
Sorry late in response...I did what others did. I printed out the TSB, and brought it to show it to Hector Diaz, 2 days prior to appoiment time. Then on the day, he refused to type in the description that I wanted that TSB applied, and just typed in harsh down shift from 4th to 3rd. I forgot to mention to him about the engine brake, so it wasn't on the description. When I got my car back, it said on the service: confirmed harsh down shift, something about reprogrammed TCM, and car is OK now. It never mentioned nothing about actually applying the sepcific TSB to my car. But verbally, Hector told the technician did that. What the heck, then why are they shy from putting the exact fix on my car? I just don't get it. But car did improve in the transmission, issue. Not almost fluidly, and almost like normal, but not quite the same feeling when I drove their 2008 G35 loaner car. And the engine braking improved about 70-80%, but occasionally I still feel its enginbe breaking still there, lightly. So, I just have to deal with it, and except that some kind of fix was done to my car, and just go by the service advisor's word that TSB was applied. And forget about it, and moved on... Hector agreed with me that there was another car, not G37, came in to have the same kind of TSB software update, so I wsn't the first car having this service done.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: G37 Transmission Issues with 4th -> 3rd Downshift