Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Transmission Issues with 4th -> 3rd Downshift

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:35 PM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RotaryRevn
haha, nevermind, I think you ment bog down......hehe just a typo
It's been a long day....
Old 07-13-2009, 10:53 PM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxdOut
For those that noticed that they had the flare prior to getting update, did it make it worst, better or did it remain the same.
I don't see any difference personally.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:08 AM
brynomon

Wow lots of people from Illinois are here now!

Last edited by brynomon; 07-14-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-17-2009, 08:26 PM
MaxdOut

I finally had the time to bring the car in to Hoffman Estates Infiniti for an unrelated matter (rail dust on my rear emblem, had it replaced) and had an opportunity to speak to the service manager. When I initially talked to him a few weeks ago his impression was that the TSB had a negative effect on the performance of the car which swayed me to hold off on the TSB. Now that he’s had some time behind the wheel, he did notice that it in fact did improve the car’s overall performance as well as increased his MPG by a few gallons. He convinced me to give it a shot.

Although this did not fix the ‘Flare’ issue (knew that it would not), it did make a dramatic difference in how the car drives. There was no change in overall acceleration, but it did effect gear changes. It feels like the car’s up shift is, as someone mentioned before, more precisely. Instead of staying in the current gear a hair longer than it should it immediately shifts to the next gear. The car is now coasting with very little noticeable engine braking.

Overall, I am incredibly please with the update. It surprised me that a simple update could have such an incredible impact on how the transmission reacts. It really does feel like a completely different car.

Another surprise was how quickly the dealership was able to apply the update. Given I was only schedule to have the emblem replaced, they were also able to do the update and have me back on the road in less than 45 min! I was impressed.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:37 AM
DustySlider

Originally Posted by L-GT
I got a similar response when I went to the dealer this morning. They were told on the TSB that the update only applies to G37 Sport Sedan/Coupe, and since ours was a non-sport version, nor was the sports package added, they just told us there was nothing they could do. The technician explained that the parts number was different on the component that required the update. Has anyone else with a non-sport packaged or G37s sedan been able to successfully get the update besides him? Thanks.
Strange...I had quite the opposite experience from you. Took the car in this morning to Cerritos Infiniti. Had to get a oil change anyway. Lady named April helped me out. I told her I needed an oil change and a TSB update. I showed her a print out of the TSB. 5 minutes later, one of the service guys comes by to pick me up and drop me off at my office (I work pretty close to the dealer). Swing by during lunch to pick up, pay, and done.

My main problem was always right dead set at 20mph mark. Cruise at anything over 20 mph, lift foot off gas, and right when speed drops to 20 I had that huge jerky downshift. After the TSB, problem is GONE! I am a much happier owner. This downshift problem was a major thorn in my side. It is so much better now. It's like I have a new car again. I was driving around in an industrial area near my house for a while just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Could not duplicate the problem any more. Thank you Infiniti!
Old 07-18-2009, 01:02 PM
L-GT

Ah, sorry for the confusion. I did not go to the same dealer as mentioned. I went to Southwest Infiniti in Houston, TX. I still haven't gotten it resolved due to a busy week, but I intend on following up with the dealership to see if theres any additional development.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:49 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also got this tsb done and the problem is gone now. No hassles by dealer and they seemed very aware of this tsb
Old 07-19-2009, 12:33 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike S.
Did the update seem to cover more than just the 4-3 downshift? It seems like other downshifts are not as smooth too...like just comming to a stop 3-2-1. Then there is the "flare" issue.

At any rate..hope to have it done soon.
Yes, I noticed the flare issue baaaad when driving around tonight on some backroads - stomp on it from a roll, and the engine first does a throttle lag, then the revs jump but the car doesn't move, and then finally the car decides to get motivated - I also had a number of vdc and then some red one right above the DIC, but too quick to see what it was. Don't what that was all about, but the drive was very dissapointing. Right now, my transmission sucks. Does this TSB/TCM reflash address all these issues?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:07 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe my check AT light was blinking during these flare periods - has any else who has the flare problem also experienced a check AT panel light?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:58 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
Yes, I noticed the flare issue baaaad when driving around tonight on some backroads - stomp on it from a roll, and the engine first does a throttle lag, then the revs jump but the car doesn't move, and then finally the car decides to get motivated - I also had a number of vdc and then some red one right above the DIC, but too quick to see what it was. Don't what that was all about, but the drive was very dissapointing. Right now, my transmission sucks. Does this TSB/TCM reflash address all these issues?
That sounds like a different issue. The "flare" mentioned happens once when the car is warm and it is when it shifts in the 4th to 5th gear range. If I'm not paying attention, I don't even know it happens. I did find it is not speed dependant last night. I ate at a restaurant that was just off a highway. When I left I pushed the gas a bit and it flared up around 60 instead of around 40-50 where I usually see it.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM
MaxdOut

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
I believe my check AT light was blinking during these flare periods - has any else who has the flare problem also experienced a check AT panel light?
OK, that's completely different than the flare that most are experiencing. If the check AT light is coming on then bring it to the dealer, you may have more problems than a software issue.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea...the "flare" is not a check engine/check AT type of thing. Its bad programing/code in the tranny computer. If your AT light flashes or blinks..then there might be more wrong with your car.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:39 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So since I have a sport coupe, can I print off the TSB and take it to my dealer for the update since most are having positive improvements?
Old 07-19-2009, 10:54 PM
KLB

Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
So since I have a sport coupe, can I print off the TSB and take it to my dealer for the update since most are having positive improvements?
Anyone with a 7AT should be able to get the TSB applied. I suggest making an appointment. Tell them your car is downshifting hard and ask them if they know about the TSB. That gives them a chance to look it up if they do not know about it.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They finally posted the complete TSB on one of the other Inifiniti info websites. Here's a copy:

http://home.comcast.net/~magredc5/G37/ITB09-032.pdf

Note Table A on the 3rd page - it lists the current TCM firmware part number based on the configuration (coupe/sedan/RWD/AWD).

Quick Reply: G37 Transmission Issues with 4th -> 3rd Downshift