Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Transmission Issues with 4th -> 3rd Downshift

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:01 PM
L-GT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RotaryRevn
Cerritos CA infinity is horrible!!!! I went there AGAIN (2nd time) regarding the TSB (first time I was turned away by this same lady). The service writer lady knew absolutely nothing about cars. (I personally don't know why she is working there). I give her a detailed description of what the symtoms of the car are to include rough shifting, hard downshifts, engine braking ect. She simply writes "car surging" on my ticket. I had to argue with her for an hour just to convince her to let a tech take my car back. I had the damn official TSB bulleton in my hand after printing it out from here
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=550499 . For some reason, she wanted to argue with me telling me it was not for my car. I have a 2009 g37 sedan. The bulleton says "2009 sport sedan" , the official name for our cars. She kept saying, "you don't have the sports package, this only applies to cars with the sports package". She even called over a salesman infront of me and asked him if my car had the sports package. He also said no, you don't have the sports package, this tsb does not apply. Does that bulleton say sports PACKAGE????!!!! I was begging and pleading for her to please let a tech hook it up to the machine and they will see that the tsb applies. She even said feel free to get a second opinion at another dealership! Anyways, after almost having a coronary, finally she said she would let a tech take it back.

A few hours later, guess what, the TSB was for my car! I bought this car at Cerritos so I figured I'd let them do the service on it. That is absolutely the last time I deal with that service dept. I'm taking it to Mission Viejo from now on. Those service writers at Cerritos are horrible and know nothing about mechanics of a car, or customer service for that matter.

BTW, the car drives like a dream now.
I got a similar response when I went to the dealer this morning. They were told on the TSB that the update only applies to G37 Sport Sedan/Coupe, and since ours was a non-sport version, nor was the sports package added, they just told us there was nothing they could do. The technician explained that the parts number was different on the component that required the update. Has anyone else with a non-sport packaged or G37s sedan been able to successfully get the update besides him? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:44 PM
KLB

Originally Posted by L-GT
I got a similar response when I went to the dealer this morning. They were told on the TSB that the update only applies to G37 Sport Sedan/Coupe, and since ours was a non-sport version, nor was the sports package added, they just told us there was nothing they could do. The technician explained that the parts number was different on the component that required the update. Has anyone else with a non-sport packaged or G37s sedan been able to successfully get the update besides him? Thanks.
I got it and do not have a Sport edition.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:29 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by L-GT
As previously posted your dealer does not know what they are talking about. The G37 is a "sport" sedan/coupe and this does not refer to the sport package. I'd like the service advisor to explain what part of the sport package modifies the engine or transmission - the answer is none. If they'd simply hook the car to their service computer they'd see that, but even then if they insist I would demand that they call their tech line. Otherwise call Infinity Customer Assistance and have them assist you.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:58 AM
L-GT

Thanks. I'll be calling them back sometimes next week to inquire further. The tech said they'll contact Infiniti on Monday to find out if there's something else coming out. Hopefully Infiniti will clear things up with them.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:09 AM
RaiderG37x

I got the same response as L-GT from my dealership on friday. The update is only for the sport model and not my G37x. I was told that when they plugged my car into the computer the update didn't apply to my vehicle. They said I already have the most up to date software. I asked how is that possible since the update wasn't available until June 24 and I already had my G? "We have to go by what the computer says". I asked if it was possible their computer isn't up to date and he said no.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Mockenrue

Originally Posted by RaiderG37x
I got the same response as L-GT from my dealership on friday. The update is only for the sport model and not my G37x. I was told that when they plugged my car into the computer the update didn't apply to my vehicle. They said I already have the most up to date software. I asked how is that possible since the update wasn't available until June 24 and I already had my G? "We have to go by what the computer says". I asked if it was possible their computer isn't up to date and he said no.
This is exactly what I heard from my dealer, and he showed me the laptop for proof. He said it updates every night. I bought my car in May... something strange here I think.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:03 PM
KLB

Are you guys going in complaining about hard downshifting or asking for a TSB? Complain about the problem, and let them tell you how they plan to fix it.

It's amazing that dealerships can be so different. My dealer gave me no trouble at all. They even had to borrow equipment from the Nissan dealer next door to apply the update, since theirs was out to be repaired. The more I hear, the more I am glad I went to Orland Park Infiniti. They have been awesome from the beginning.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:19 PM
RotaryRevn

FYI, after reading about the flare issue, I noticed that my car does have this, even after the TSB. Hopefully they will come out with another TSB to fix that Flare issue. Once again, I don't have the sports package and they did do the update. It made huge improvements on the way my car drives.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:25 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In light of the fact that this "engine braking" effect has been resolved with a software patch, I am now hopeful for those with the "flare" that this too will be resolved in short time with an additional software patch.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:43 PM
G37beijing

Could someone please dsecribe the FLARE issue in more detail? At what RPM or gear does the flare occur? How high does the RPM go? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 PM
KLB

Originally Posted by G37beijing
Could someone please dsecribe the FLARE issue in more detail? At what RPM or gear does the flare occur? How high does the RPM go? Thanks in advance.
Check out this thread
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...t-owner-s.html

The only change I would make is that the car only seems to need to be warm, not sitting for an hour. It only happens the first time through the gears.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:43 PM
cre333

According to Infiniti of Hoffman Estates, it does not matter if it is a G37, G37 Journey, G37x, G37S or G37xS, as long as it has the 7 speed automatic. The only thing they have to do is run the code to see if the bulletin applies. The bulletin, according to the service manager, mentions both RWD and AWD vehicles, but states nothing about whether it has the sport package or not. He says he has a 2009 G37x non-sport and had the procedure done to his car and it made a huge difference. According to him, the only difference with the transmission on sport package cars vs non-sport package cars is that the sport package models have the paddle shifters. Otherwise, the transmission is the same. The control units for the AWD cars are different, but they are still able to be reprogrammed with the update. He says this bulletin applies to the G37 coupe and G37x couple as well, and the G37x coupe is not even offered in the sport package.
He also says that this available for the FX35/50 and the M35 RWD as well.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:21 PM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cre333
According to Infiniti of Hoffman Estates, it does not matter if it is a G37, G37 Journey, G37x, G37S or G37xS, as long as it has the 7 speed automatic. The only thing they have to do is run the code to see if the bulletin applies. The bulletin, according to the service manager, mentions both RWD and AWD vehicles, but states nothing about whether it has the sport package or not. He says he has a 2009 G37x non-sport and had the procedure done to his car and it made a huge difference. According to him, the only difference with the transmission on sport package cars vs non-sport package cars is that the sport package models have the paddle shifters. Otherwise, the transmission is the same. The control units for the AWD cars are different, but they are still able to be reprogrammed with the update. He says this bulletin applies to the G37 coupe and G37x couple as well, and the G37x coupe is not even offered in the sport package.
He also says that this available for the FX35/50 and the M35 RWD as well.
Interesting did not know anyone else was dealing with Hoffman Estates Infiniti. The service manager there mentioned that he did have it done to the car he drives and it did fix the shift issue but not the flare. He also said the car seems to bog down a little more and it was more of a negative in perfomance. I'll need to call tomorrow since I am planning to bring the car in this week.

For those that noticed that they had the flare prior to getting update, did it make it worst, better or did it remain the same.

Last edited by MaxdOut; 07-13-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: typo....
Old 07-13-2009, 09:30 PM
RotaryRevn

Originally Posted by MaxdOut
Interesting did not know anyone else was dealing with Hoffman Estates Infiniti. The service manager there mentioned that he did have it done to the car he drives and it did fix the shift issue but not the flare. He also said the car seems to dog bown a little more and it was more of a negative in perfomance. I'll need to call tomorrow since I am planning to bring the car in this week.

For those that noticed that they had the flare prior to getting update, did it make it worst, better or did it remain the same.
what is dog bown? Thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 09:32 PM
RotaryRevn

haha, nevermind, I think you ment bog down......hehe just a typo

Quick Reply: G37 Transmission Issues with 4th -> 3rd Downshift