Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Transmission Issues with 4th -> 3rd Downshift

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:02 PM
guitargman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a new G37x that i took in for an early oil change and to check the trans to see if it had the update.
They gave me a G37X as a loaner for the day. the date on the door of the loaner is 08/08 i believe. the loaner has 10k miles on it and the accelleration and responsiveness from this car is night and day from mine. mine feels sluggish off the start and seems to have longer shift intervals from 0-40 but i do feel harsher downshifts on the loaner.
I was told my car has the latest update. my car is still a baby with 1200k on it so I asked the CS guy if that had anything to do with it and he said no.
hmmm, i'm gonna hope it's just a break in thing OR the loaner i have does not have the update and mine does and it shows the side affects that some here are experiencing with the update.
Guess i will wait and see. how dissapointing though to have more fun driving a loaner that gets beat on. ugh sorry for the babbling
Old 09-30-2009, 03:34 PM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It's possibe that the loaner drives that way due to the fact it's beaten on and the adaptive shifting has learned that driving style.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:52 PM
guitargman

MaxdOut,, well i guess it's time to change my driving style,,, we shall see.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:29 AM
KLB

Drive the car is DS more.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:58 PM
newg37ontheroad

Has anyone experienced dealership experience with Sewell Infiniti of Houston located in Spring (north of Houston)? I bought my G37 sedan from them 2 wks back and have about 250 miles on it. It's a baby right now with less than 1k miles on it but I have experienced the downshifting problem while on D mode. Mine happens right on 30mph; it's not worse but a little worse than mild.

I called my dealer today and the salesman asked me to bring it in (he knew abt this issue; I hope he wud have told me before I bought it :-s); talked to the service advisor, he acted in a way initially tht he didnt knw much abt it but when I started talking abt the TSB and updating the firmware on the TCM, then he kinda came out clean. I guess he figured I have done my research.

Do you all thing 250 miles is really low to get the flash done on the TCM? Maybe I should wait for the engine to break in arnd 1k or 2k miles? (dont know at mileage G37 breaks in). But anyway, what do you all think? is this too early and should really be given a little while and see how it turns out to be?

I just freaking dont want to have negative side effects and other headaches after the flash. Anyways, please share your thoughts.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 PM
eman76b2001

I just bought mine from sewell in houston about a month ago. It was a demo car and had 3500 miles on it. I brought mine in since it was having the downshift problem and they said my car had the updated firmware and they just updated the ECU and reset it. I have not noticed any performance issues but I still have the downshift problem. Cant remeber if it was as bad as before I had the ECU updated. If any just a tad better but still pretty noticeable. I am assuming they will say the same thing to you when you bring yours in to get it updated.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:36 PM
newg37ontheroad

Originally Posted by eman76b2001
I just bought mine from sewell in houston about a month ago. It was a demo car and had 3500 miles on it. I brought mine in since it was having the downshift problem and they said my car had the updated firmware and they just updated the ECU and reset it. I have not noticed any performance issues but I still have the downshift problem. Cant remeber if it was as bad as before I had the ECU updated. If any just a tad better but still pretty noticeable. I am assuming they will say the same thing to you when you bring yours in to get it updated.

What made them say that you already had the updated firmware? Did they show you the P/N of the old one you have in your car when they hooked up their C-III? I don't know how resetting the ECU can resolve any transmission problems. I don't think ECU has anything to do with transmission other than it re-learning your driving skills once been reset.

Anyways I checked my car's mfg date and it's 08-09. So I would imagine they would already have the updated firmware since it was built in Aug. When I open the driver door, it says on the sticker Trans: RE7R01A...this is 6 characters compared to the 5 character compared to TCM P/N. Does this in any way mean my car has a different TCM P/N from what is on ITB09-032 and I shouldn't be worried? As I had mentioned before, I do feel mild downshift at 30-25 mph. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:07 PM
eman76b2001

I brought it in and when I came to pick it up they said that it had the updated firmware according to the C-III. Did not question it at the time but I might bring it up again since I can still feel the downshifts. Quoted from my service reciept they said "Performed ITB and replaced ECU". Not too sure what "replaced" means. While I was there they said they updated it. Would tell you mfg date but cant find the sticker anywhere telling me. Know where it would be?
Old 10-11-2009, 01:39 PM
newg37ontheroad

Originally Posted by eman76b2001
I brought it in and when I came to pick it up they said that it had the updated firmware according to the C-III. Did not question it at the time but I might bring it up again since I can still feel the downshifts. Quoted from my service reciept they said "Performed ITB and replaced ECU". Not too sure what "replaced" means. While I was there they said they updated it. Would tell you mfg date but cant find the sticker anywhere telling me. Know where it would be?
if you open the driver door look on the side frame. It should be towards the bottom. It's right above the sticker that tells you the tire pressure etc.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:03 PM
xBLACKMAM8Ax

If one were to get the flash done and didn't like the update can it be undone and set back to when he/she bought the G brand new off the lot?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Mike P

Originally Posted by shaidaddy007
If one were to get the flash done and didn't like the update can it be undone and set back to when he/she bought the G brand new off the lot?
Nope. How would you suppose they do that? I would figure that the TSB is the only version the dealers have, so therefore once you load there is no going back since the factory has the original and that has now changed and is the new TSB. I do not think they back-up your system like with a PC so it would be really hard to restore it. If it's a trust issue with the dealer then don't do it. It solved my shifting problems for both my coupe and my sedan.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:21 PM
eman76b2001

I looked there last night and completly missed it. Mine is 03/09 and they said it already had the update. Still has the downshift problem though... wouldnt hurt to ask them if yours has the latest though.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:49 AM
G35Rhino

Originally Posted by shaidaddy007
Dealer did not tell me they couldn't....but they did say they wouldn't. Hell I'd pay them at this point to do it.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just had the upgrade loaded to my car today, and it's hard to describe how much difference it has made. Nothing but better everything so far..the rough 4-3 downshift is gone, and virtually all the rest of the shifts are much better timed. I can actually brake normal now that there isn't the abrupt downshift. I'm always in the power on acceleration, and the shifts are seamless. The driveability has been increased many times and the car drives better than 9 months ago when it was new. I'm not sure that it will help me save any gas though since it just loves to rev now!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:58 PM
G37beijing

SILVER37: Could you please share new the TCU firmware version with us? It's likely printed on your service receipt. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: G37 Transmission Issues with 4th -> 3rd Downshift