Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Transmission Issues with 4th -> 3rd Downshift

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 03:50 PM
G35Rhino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear you Trey...issue is even more complex when you have them ship a car in. Usually they can't or won't find out things like the TCM program # until AFTER you have committed and they are actually working with the other dealer to get the car. Problem is they can tell you one thing and you'd never know the difference unless there is clearly a difference in the drive.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:51 PM
G35Rhino

Originally Posted by gugarci
I'm definitely holding off doing the reflash. G35Rhino have you mentioned this issue to your dealer???
No point to unless I'm ready to take the car in...which I am not. Too far to drive and too many billable hours given up (I am a consultant) to go up there UNLESS I can knock out a normal service interval at same time.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:42 AM
Fedioak

Bottom line is it worth upgrading the TSB? because I don't want to lose any power
Old 08-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not upgrading. I don't even want smoother shifts. If I did I would have kept my lexus. I do feel the engine braking, but unlike other people I do not think it is "unsafe" and I know exactly "where I am going to stop". Even if the upgrade did nothing more than smooth out the annoying 4-3 and reduce the engine braking, I was not sure about doing it, but now having read some of the experiances of the people on here after the reflash I will definately pass.

It seem that some people are happy and others are not so for all those who have not done it, it will be taking a chance for us. Plus it seems that not all dealers are very cooperative about this, so maybe it makes sense to wait until there is a better solution out there. At the end of the day it is your car and how you feel in it. Myne's fine.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:38 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have 3600 miles on my ODO now (bought the car with 5) and I can tell you my tranny is much smoother now than it was at 1000. I love this car, the way it drives, and I'm sorry for the people that have very significant problems with the way the car drives. My stealership told me I have the latest update from the factory. I have the subtle engine braking, but I like it.

I'm in Alex's boat -- myne's fine.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:32 PM
rhyno76

I have just over 3000 miles on my G37x and was told I already have the update...they test drove it and agreed the downshifts were a little harsh. They decided to reflash it and it's downshifting more smoothly now. Tech claims the tranny is "relearning the shift points". While reasoning might be bs, I do think it helped.

Bonus: My mpg on the way home (30 mile commute) has climbed from an average of 20.4 to almost 24!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 PM
trey100

Originally Posted by rhyno76
I have just over 3000 miles on my G37x and was told I already have the update...they test drove it and agreed the downshifts were a little harsh. They decided to reflash it and it's downshifting more smoothly now. Tech claims the tranny is "relearning the shift points". While reasoning might be bs, I do think it helped.

Bonus: My mpg on the way home (30 mile commute) has climbed from an average of 20.4 to almost 24!!!
Rhyno,

How old is your car and are you getting the "lag" that others are seeing in their cars?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 PM
rhyno76

Originally Posted by trey100
Rhyno,

How old is your car and are you getting the "lag" that others are seeing in their cars?
I bought the car last week (loaded, driven by the dealership owner's wife so I couldn't pass up the price-break compared to a lesser-equipped model). They extended the warranty by the 2900 miles that were on it at purchase, which they didn't have to do, but I appreciated it. I'm not sure of the build date...sticker on door frame says 08/09, but don't know if that's just the 2008-2009 model year or what.

I'd say I am seeing a touch of a lag on acceleration responsiveness, but I haven't gotten a very good feel for it overall as I have not driven it much since getting it back from the dealership this afternoon. The tech said it may take a little while for the shifting program to settle in. I'm not looking to race this car, so it's not a big deal for me. It's still more responsive then the POS Pontiac G6 I was driving before this

Update: Took it for a spin late last night and then to work this morning. Overall, I can say I'm happy with the results. The lag when punching the accelerator is minimal. Honestly I can't say if it's any worse than before. I'm really happy with how much smoother the 7AT is now. MPG holding between 23-24 mostly highway for 100+ miles so far.

Hope this is helpful for you guys still on the fence.

Last edited by rhyno76; 08-18-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: update
Old 08-27-2009, 04:28 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Went for my first service today at 3750 miles and did not do the transmission flash. By the way Infiniti of Ramsey is aware of the TSB and will re-flash the transmission if you ask or if you bring them your car for service for the rough downshift issue.

I've decided to hold off.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 PM
MoonliteMadness

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I was experiencing rough and erratic shifts with my transmission, as well as hard downshifts and "engine braking" when decelerating. I had my dealer perform the TSB mentioned at the beginning of this post by brynomon and I am pleased to report that it corrected the problem with no side effects. My car accelerates briskly with no lag and the transmission shifts smoothly and effortlessly. Thank you to those who made the intial posts about the TSB to correct this problem.

Last edited by MoonliteMadness; 09-04-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:48 PM
calvin_hobbes

Dealership wont apply ITB09-032a to g37xS

Originally Posted by L-GT
I got a similar response when I went to the dealer this morning. They were told on the TSB that the update only applies to G37 Sport Sedan/Coupe, and since ours was a non-sport version, nor was the sports package added, they just told us there was nothing they could do. The technician explained that the parts number was different on the component that required the update. Has anyone else with a non-sport packaged or G37s sedan been able to successfully get the update besides him? Thanks.
Took mine to the dealership today. They said this only applies to G37 and NOT the sport model. AND it has to be in a specific VIN # range. They said they couldn't do anything.

The SB they handed to me was -
Classification: AT009-009a
Ref: ITB09-032a
Date: 7/29/09
Applied Vehicles: 2009 G37 Sedan (V36)2wd and AWD
other non G37 models listed
Applied Transmission: 7 Speed A/T ONLY

Can someone please advise?

Also, the one tech said the only the g37 sport has 7 speed in 09. I am 99% positive they all g37 2009 models have 7 speed A/T.
So I don't have much confidence in them.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:12 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just tell them about the harsh downshift. If they don't listen to you, request to test drive with a tech.

I had the same experience when I handed them the TSB, but the 2nd time I came in, I just told a different service "advisor" about the harsh downshift and didn't even have to do a test drive.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:12 PM
calvin_hobbes

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Just tell them about the harsh downshift. If they don't listen to you, request to test drive with a tech.

I had the same experience when I handed them the TSB, but the 2nd time I came in, I just told a different service "advisor" about the harsh downshift and didn't even have to do a test drive.
They said they hooked it up but it would not allow them to do the update because my VIN # was not 'in range'.

Manager said he called the techline and started a report and was told that car was normal for Sport.

I drove a non sport on their lot and it feels the same way.....crappy engine braking and harsh downshifting......i test drove with tech and they all said it was normal although no one could give me a positive as to why this would occur. They mentioned break in period might help at over 1500 miles.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
Also, the one tech said the only the g37 sport has 7 speed in 09. I am 99% positive they all g37 2009 models have 7 speed A/T.
They are D-U-M dumb. How can a dealer make a statement like that about a car they sell and service? It's not like they have a lot of models to keep track of either. Geez.

To make it worse, they tell you the TSB is only for NON-sport models then that ONLY the sport has the 7AT.

The VIN not being in the range could be true though. At some point they started applying the fix to the cars they made.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:14 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
Took mine to the dealership today. They said this only applies to G37 and NOT the sport model. AND it has to be in a specific VIN # range. They said they couldn't do anything.

The SB they handed to me was -
Classification: AT009-009a
Ref: ITB09-032a
Date: 7/29/09
Applied Vehicles: 2009 G37 Sedan (V36)2wd and AWD
other non G37 models listed
Applied Transmission: 7 Speed A/T ONLY

Can someone please advise?

All 09 G37's that are A/T are 7 speeds. Unless you misunderstood then the people at that dealership are idiots and should be reported to Infiniti.

Quick Reply: G37 Transmission Issues with 4th -> 3rd Downshift