Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Transmission Issues with 4th -> 3rd Downshift

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:36 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My car now has 3K miles and the transmission has smooth-en out. I not going to do anything when I get my first oil change. Will wait a bit and see what develops.

Also my wife has driven the car and had no issues with the transmission. That really shocked me. I thought if anyone would of have a problem with the downshift issue it would of been her.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also thought my car was fine, but when I specifically tried to replicate the problem by coasting from 30-20 without coming to a stop I definately notice it. My perception of it is that it's really not that bad. I can live with it, but that's probably becasue it agrees with my driving style and conditions around me. I can totally see how this can be annoying to someone though.

For all you guys that had a problem with infiniti customer service, don't just rollover. If it bothers you go to another dealer or call infiniti headquarters!

Is there a difinitive concensus on the TSB fixing the problem?

Last edited by Alex57r; 08-14-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:39 AM
G35Rhino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From someone who seems to drive with the same style at Alex...be careful what you wish for. I was happy with my car before the flash and thought I would only be happier after the update. Boy was I wrong, I should have left well enough along. The harsh downshift didn't both me that much.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 AM
briansj

Originally Posted by G35Rhino
From someone who seems to drive with the same style at Alex...be careful what you wish for. I was happy with my car before the flash and thought I would only be happier after the update. Boy was I wrong, I should have left well enough along. The harsh downshift didn't both me that much.
Was there a side effect after the transmission was flashed?

Also, anyone know which manufacture date models have this issue?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:32 AM
G35Rhino

Side effects for me....slight decrease in gas mileage (no biggie), MAJOR lag in the timing of downshift while in motion and poor acceleration (tied to trans shift lag).

Again...this is MY experience and while others have commented similarly there are plent of others who have no issues.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:43 AM
briansj

My new G37 is manufactured in May, 09. How would I find out whether the transmission has been flashed or not? thanks!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its easy, just coast from 30mph to 20mph a few times with your foot off the brake and off the gas and see what happens. If the car downshifts kinf of rough (we seem to disagree on just how rough this may be) and you feel engine braking at 20mph then I guess it does not have the update.

On the other hand, I think everyone should at least consider G35Rhino's experiance. Maybe this reflash is not for everyone...

Rhino, just out of interest, how many miles are on your car and do you think there is any possibility that your car has an unrelated ECM problem of some kind or are you certain that all this started happening right after the reflash?

Last edited by Alex57r; 08-14-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:59 PM
briansj

I can feel the engine break but the down shift is not that jerky
Old 08-14-2009, 02:10 PM
bluesun

It's not just a harsh downshift. It is the impossibility of every coming to a stop smoothly as the engine shifts in and out of braking and not braking as your coming to zero. I don't know about you, but I find it embarrassing not being able to stop smoothly.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:00 PM
ILLI_G37

Originally Posted by bluesun
It's not just a harsh downshift. It is the impossibility of every coming to a stop smoothly as the engine shifts in and out of braking and not braking as your coming to zero.
Agree, you can never predict where your car will stop with this thing.
However it seems like the problem gets better, or it is just me getting used to it. I will wait untill my firts oil change, and see how is going to be. I would rather have this issue, than throttle lag. It seems like more and more people get that after the TSB is applied.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:34 PM
trey100

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a G37xS but reading this has me wondering if the new cars will have the flash already done and therefore drive differently than what I test drove. The cars I test drove had the noticeable downshifting as you slowed down but outside of me noticing it, I didn't see it as a bother. What I did like though was how quick the car was to downshift and move out. I'm coming from a manual transmission and getting an automatic seemed like a downgrade, but after test driving a few different cars, they all seemed to be great.

Has anyone picked up a car over the last few weeks with a late build date that can volunteer some feedback on the automatic's performance?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:09 PM
G35Rhino

Originally Posted by Alex57r
Its easy, just coast from 30mph to 20mph a few times with your foot off the brake and off the gas and see what happens. If the car downshifts kinf of rough (we seem to disagree on just how rough this may be) and you feel engine braking at 20mph then I guess it does not have the update.

On the other hand, I think everyone should at least consider G35Rhino's experiance. Maybe this reflash is not for everyone...

Rhino, just out of interest, how many miles are on your car and do you think there is any possibility that your car has an unrelated ECM problem of some kind or are you certain that all this started happening right after the reflash?
Alex my car has 11k miles on it. It could be something other than the flash although it is a helluva coincidence that I didn't have these issues until the flash. I should have left well enough alone and then if I had a real problem I could have had it addressed by the dealer.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:12 PM
G35Rhino

Trey...drive the car before you take delivery. It baffles me that people demo a car and then pick up a different one site unseen (and untested). I don't want to give the impression that Infiniti is putting crap out there as I do not think that is the case at all...I'm just having some problems with mine.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:43 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm definitely holding off doing the reflash. G35Rhino have you mentioned this issue to your dealer???
Old 08-14-2009, 05:46 PM
trey100

Originally Posted by G35Rhino
Trey...drive the car before you take delivery. It baffles me that people demo a car and then pick up a different one site unseen (and untested). I don't want to give the impression that Infiniti is putting crap out there as I do not think that is the case at all...I'm just having some problems with mine.
I hear you. The issue I see is that I get a delaership down to a good deal , but he needs to go out and find the car I want. I know I can - but after that, do I take a test drive, and then return the car to him with a couple of miles on it saying it's not the same as the test car? I mean, most of these guys that sell cars have no idea about these TSB's and what's happening on a day to day basis. It's an argument waiting to happen.

Quick Reply: G37 Transmission Issues with 4th -> 3rd Downshift