Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Transmission Issues with 4th -> 3rd Downshift

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:27 PM
w0ady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it can wait. i just waited til i got my last oil change to get the tsb done. it took them about 7 months since the trans has been released to learn about the problem and bring out a fix so a few more days wont hurt.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:47 AM
brynomon

Actually Infiniti was aware of the tranny problem as far back as February. The problem they had with the tranny software update is that the issue involved several Infiniti models and reports were so different from various sources. I remember when this was first brought up in these forums that we all thought it was the 3rd to 2nd downshift we were feeling. Models built after April 09 should have the tranny fix already as they had the new updates and everything completed back in Japan. Then they had the extra months where they lagged in getting the updates through the proper channels in USA to correctly distribute and communicate the TSB.

Its beuracracy. I think thats the correct spelling.

I'm happy with the TSB fix still but it still needs improvements. I would say that 70% of the downshifting coasting issues have been resolved but now the tranny seems more jerky on acceleration now. But that could also be the result of me driving it harder.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:26 AM
ILLI_G37

I called Beaverton Infiniti today and told them about harsh downshifting, and the guy was trying to convince me that this is normal engine breaking for this transmission. He was saying it happens only at low speeds that is why i feel at 20-30 mph. So he either does not know about the update, or just does not want to do it.
So I was wondering if anyone here has done this update at Beaverton Infiniti?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:59 AM
KLB

There really is no reason for them to not want to do it. They get paid by Infiniti to do the work. Did you give them the TSB number?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:43 AM
BluSlate37x

Originally Posted by KLB
There really is no reason for them to not want to do it. They get paid by Infiniti to do the work. Did you give them the TSB number?
Just had the fix done today - early prognosis is BIG change in downshift and braking; very smooth now
Old 08-07-2009, 10:53 AM
w0ady

also some delays with the new programming due to trying to meet up with epa standards from what i was told.

ya i still occasionally get an annoying jerk but i would say its 70-80% gone so definitely happy with the improvement.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:30 AM
ILLI_G37

Originally Posted by KLB
Did you give them the TSB number?
No, I did not mention TSB. I was hoping they know about the problem and aknowledge the issue once I describe whats happening. I will go there today with TSB printout and see what they say. But I have a feeling that I will have a hard time convincing them that this TSB is applicable to my car.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Mike P

I just had mine done on Wednesday. I printed the attachement and gave it the Service Technition. I described what was happening and the reciept said they applied the updated TSP.

I noticed an imediate difference. I think the problem is about 90% fixed. I have to run the car much more, but I have noticed much better stifting and a much more responsive throttle. There is still some lag when you floor it, though. I will continue to communicate to my service department. We all have to. Feed back is the only way to get change made. There has been some discussion of a second fix (which I think it still needs), but without the community uproar, then it will never happen. I will also test the update more as the reset ECU reprograms to my driving.

I have not had the transmission issues outlined in this thread and do not understand all the issues with new 7AT. I think is well suited to the engine and it works well in my G.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:13 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine's in today for the first service. I brought a copy of the TSB and the service advisor acted as if he never heard of this but I get the sense that most of the service advisors are more to be customer service types with limited technical knowledge. The best thing to do is explain the problem you're seeing and let them document it.

We'll see what happens. I don't find my downshifts to be that harsh and they seem to have gotten much smoother over time - I now have almost 4K miles. But there's no way my car was manufactured after April as some have claimed is when the new S/W was loaded at the factory since it is was sitting on a lot in mid to late April.

BTW the actual date of manufacture is not stamped (I can't find it) on the silver tag in the engine compartment. I would assume that the last 6 digits of the VIN can tell you that if you know the range of cars made or can map some of those digits to a week number. Anyone know?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:39 PM
ILLI_G37

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
BTW the actual date of manufacture is not stamped (I can't find it) on the silver tag in the engine compartment. I would assume that the last 6 digits of the VIN can tell you that if you know the range of cars made or can map some of those digits to a week number. Anyone know?
If you open the drivers door, there is a sticker on the bottom right side of the door opening (on the car itself, not the door) which has a manufacturing date. At least that is where I found mine.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:54 PM
brynomon

Originally Posted by ILLI_G37
If you open the drivers door, there is a sticker on the bottom right side of the door opening (on the car itself, not the door) which has a manufacturing date. At least that is where I found mine.
Yeah my manufactured date was 11/08. My tranny is now seemingly getting worse each day with upshifts that take longer or are too abrupt. Its almost like I'm experiencing the opposite of the downshift issue I originally had. Flaring is part of this.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:00 PM
G35Rhino

Originally Posted by brynomon
Yeah my manufactured date was 11/08. My tranny is now seemingly getting worse each day with upshifts that take longer or are too abrupt. Its almost like I'm experiencing the opposite of the downshift issue I originally had. Flaring is part of this.
Preach it brother....I'm not losing my mind. Every day my cars feels worse than the day before in terms of the lag (down shift). This morning at 5 AM the light in front of me turned yellow while I was 50 or so yards away so to test things out I floored it....waiting....waiting....finally down shifts too bad I was already through the RED light at that point. Don't flame me for the exercise itself it was 5 AM and I did it for research purposes as much as anything else.

Also, had 1.5 hours of mixed driving around Charlotte this morning in and out of heavy commute traffic. Rolling along at 15 mph and want to jump over to the next lane (in traffic) but can't since I hit the gas but nothing happens just keeps rolling along at 15 mph gradually gaining speed until my window of opportunity closes and can't get over anymore.

My car has gone from super fun to super flat/average in a matter of a month since the flash. I plan to wait until my next oil change to take it in and complain but I'm not sure I can wait that long. I may be disgusted with the car by then.

I loved my car when I got it in January and still love its looks and feel but getting more and more frustrated with the dragging drivetrain.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:09 PM
G35Rhino

Originally Posted by brynomon
Preach it brother....I'm not losing my mind. Every day my cars feels worse than the day before in terms of the lag (down shift). This morning at 5 AM the light in front of me turned yellow while I was 50 or so yards away so to test things out I floored it....waiting....waiting....finally down shifts too bad I was already through the RED light at that point. Don't flame me for the exercise itself it was 5 AM and I did it for research purposes as much as anything else.

Also, had 1.5 hours of mixed driving around Charlotte this morning in and out of heavy commute traffic. Rolling along at 15 mph and want to jump over to the next lane (in traffic) but can't since I hit the gas but nothing happens just keeps rolling along at 15 mph gradually gaining speed until my window of opportunity closes and can't get over anymore.

My car has gone from super fun to super flat/average in a matter of a month since the flash. I plan to wait until my next oil change to take it in and complain but I'm not sure I can wait that long. I may be disgusted with the car by then.

I loved my car when I got it in January and still love its looks and feel but getting more and more frustrated with the dragging drivetrain.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:11 PM
G35Rhino

Oh yeah I saw flaring for the first time today around 60 mph....have had it at 40 mph on a few occassions but nothing that far up the range.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:03 PM
G37Obsidian

Same here, Rhino, as I have posted in other threads. The only thing I can hope for (and I don't know if this is possible) is that maybe after the flash, the ECU somehow has to "relearn" the transmission and it will get better with time. I don't know enough about how all these electronics work, but could this be possible?

Quick Reply: G37 Transmission Issues with 4th -> 3rd Downshift