Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Friend said i should insure turbo / engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Purenick story sounds rather unique. I know you can add wheels to your insurance, but I don't think many companies are going to agree to insure Turbo Kits.

Usually, the majority of companies will make a cap on the amount of accesories they'll pay for, usually 10% of the vehicles value. So for most of us thats, about $4500 or so in aftermarket accesories they'll allow. This is to prevent claims for 1971 cutlasses with gold flake paint and 24's from claiming $15000 in a loss, when the cars value is only maybe $2500 dollars.

Now some of the major high value carriers will allow this, AIG, Chubb, etc. But they charge a hefty premium for the fact they pay out the most in the event of claims, because they charge a premium based on the high value.

So maybe you can get some wheels insured, I think however, unless your paying a lot in premium, and I'm talking at least over $2000 a year for just a car or two, they aren't going to want to have anything to do with insuring a Turbo, and if they did it would only come into play if your car was stolen, or considered a total loss after an accident. If something breaks on the turbo, they ain't going to pay for squat.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:28 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have actually never heard of anyone insuring an aftermarket FI system.