Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review Say hello to my UR Underdrive Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:40 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i ran with the KJR pulley for 66,000 miles...it is the sh1ttiest pulley out there (ask any of the G/Z member, this was a very poor and 'soft' material) and was responsible for creating grooves that led to oil leaks. i have had it on my Z since 03 (sold the Z in 07) and tracked it frequently at streets of willow going 10/10ths. NO problems what so ever. cracked the engine open because i was going to put in nismo cams...everything was in tolerance and PERFECT working condition..if it can take the abuse of track days (streets of willow and at sometimes 100+ degree heat in the desert!), the occaisional spririted driving, and 66,000 miles of tough l.a. commute...then i do not know how much further we can take it...and this is the 35DE engine, the weakest iteration of the VQ (internally).

G37rider, were there any problems associated with your UR pulley? let's not talk about gains (cuz i think you and i know there were hardly if any). just damage associated with just the pulley? how many miles? how many track days. i would really like to know because if you did you would be the first i've heard.

let me throw in some additonal information out there for everyone. i used to be a celica owner. over at newcelica.org (the largest celica site/community) there were a few peoplewho purchased and used the UR crank pulley. in a short period of time there were engine failures due to waterpump that was associated with the pulley. almost 9 out of 10 people who have had the pulley installed reported engine failures. it was common and public. now the KJR and UR pullies were purchased by the Z/G community and were as popular as all the other mods that didn't work too well at the time lol ie intakes and catback exausts and grounding kits....guess what...not ONE failure...not even a hick-up.

fact i, not all engines are made equally. we CANNOT generalize engiones from one make to the next! some need harmonic dampners to reduce the stress on the engines...some like the VQ are 'internally balanced'..meaning..an external lightened pulley that has such a small varience in weight from the OEM will not make your engine explode!...LOL. has anyone even looked at the stock pulley?? what exactly is it dampening???
Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cvt
oh really? so after years of looking, working at, and being around VQ engines since 02' you are the first to report of any engine failure regarding a crank pulley. i have been an avid Z member for a long time and have spent a lot of time and research on the DE, rev-up, and the HR.

Are there any pictures of thess engine failures? at what mileage? can you recall any information on these two particular engines that failed that just happened to swing by your way to tally up your VQ experience?

i never said the VQ was perfect...i just stated that there have been NO ENGINE FAILURES REGARDING AFTERMARKET CRANK PULLIES. NONE. ZIP. NADDA. Performance Nissan and West Covina Nissan, two of the biggest 350Z/G nissan dealerships in los angeles have reported no incidents. Technosquare, the guys who tune VQs for a living, have reported no incidents. As well as ALL of the Z forums including the biggest my350z.com which has over hundreds of thousands of members have not reported any incidents. Not one.

yet for some miraculous reason you have already seen 2....wow. let me rub your tummy, you must be some sort of lucky troll. i need to see if i can win the lottery.

please keep googling...and let us dumb-guys at the Z forums simmer in our ignorance

I guess we do agree on one thing...lightened aftermarket pullies do zip as far as hp gains.
sure, come over and rub my tummy...you won't win the lottery, but maybe your UR pulley will crack your crank or something....

i can't claim that i've worked on THAT many VQ motors....but guess what? it IS just my luck that two of them happen to come in that had problems with the crank....i recall one having the UR pulley, i can't remember what the other had...one was an 03 Z, the other was an 04 Z....both cars were owned by regular joe's who go track racing on a weekly basis during the summer......first one came in summer of 06, the next came in summer of 07....and i have NO explanation why they both decided to come to the shop i worked at (maybe word of mouth, i never ask)....one had weird vibrations (oem engine mounts), other broke his crank shaft (stock internals)....

so let me ask you then, since you've worked on lots of cars yourself....do you take pics of all the cars you work on?? and remember the mileage? maybe your so hardcore you even know what type of oil their using too....and when their next service was due...hahaha lmao!

and stop over exaggerating....hundreds of thousands and none of them have reported ANY problems? yea, i'm sure all HUNDREDS of THOUSANDs of members have the UR crank pulley...hahahaha
Old 05-13-2009, 07:42 PM
gtracing

Originally Posted by cvt
BTW-gtracing from richmond british columbia...have you ever seen a VQ crank pulley? have you cut a section out? why don't you order one and let us know what you think it's dampening....lol.

it looks like from this thread back in february of 09 you didn't know jack yourself

https://www.myg37.com/forums/modding...ng-pulley.html
do you read every post that everyone makes? i sure as hell don't...because i actually have a life
Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 PM
gtracing

Originally Posted by cvt
fact i, not all engines are made equally. we CANNOT generalize engiones from one make to the next! some need harmonic dampners to reduce the stress on the engines...some like the VQ are 'internally balanced'..meaning..an external lightened pulley that has such a small varience in weight from the OEM will not make your engine explode!...LOL. has anyone even looked at the stock pulley?? what exactly is it dampening???
how do you "balance" vibrations?? you can "balance" something that is "unbalanced" like a car wheel....you can't "balance" vibrations...you can only DAMPEN vibrations....the force isn't even on the same axis...a balanced crank helps with rotational forces....the vibrations i'm talking about are coming from an x or a y axis...and no, it won't cause your engine to explode....but it will cause your crank seals to ovalize which causes problems down the road...

and what exactly is it dampening? it's dampening the vibrations from the belt!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I personally had no issues with the pulley while na, just stupid squeeking at start up in the morning and I had to re-tighten the pulley lol. When I went boosted I was high advised to change it cause its a no no for the engine, gtracing explained some of that in his information also.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 PM
cvt

LOL @ gtracing...

worked on cars? it seems your knowledge on VQs is consistant with the local guy running the pep boys. well i'm buying a ticket to vancouver and rubbing your tummy. congratulations YOU ARE THE FIRST PERSON TO REPORT ENGINE FAILURE DUE TO AN AFTERMARKET CRANK PULLEY!...LOL. OMG, the people you meet on the internet! LOL. and you work on a shop???? can you let me know which one this is so i can let other vancouverites know NOT to come to your shop. LOL.

FACT-there ARE hundreds of thousands of members at my350z.com and g35driver. quite a few of them especially in the beginning back in 02 purchased useless bolt on mods like intakes and exhausts to see what the VQ can do. MANY of these were crank pullies and the two most popular were the UR and KJR.

FACT-there have been no reports of engine failure due to aftermarket crank pullies on the VQ

FACT-i have been in company with people (including MYSELF!) who track and owned a crank pulley with no problems. none. with all internals to tolerance. not even an oil leak.

FACT-you were already exposed of not knowing if the oem pulley is a harmonic dampner. now all of a sudden you are an "expert" and all people at my350z.com are "morons"...LOL. have you even done a camshaft install on a VQ or just change the oil??? LOL

FACT-by some werid cosmic chance YOU discover not one but TWO engines afftected by aftermarket crank pullies...in the same shop...LOL. good one. I also have some beach front property in death valley. i'll sell you some shares.

FACT-how do you explain, form MY personal experience (since your personal experience was really non-existent) that at 66,000 hard driven miles and tracked at least twice a year from 03 to 07 that my 35DE was still good as new when we cracked it open?

Originally Posted by gtracing
do you read every post that everyone makes? i sure as hell don't...because i actually have a life
I could say the same for you replying to almost everyline i wrote after conceeding of posting your last post LOL. better look after that "shop" you work on. it seems misdiagnosis and ignorance on the VQ is the least of your worries.

gtracing you are my favorite pepboys mechanic! please keep posting as it is a delight to read how you can google your post responses while IGNORING other VQ members and dismissing them as morons...LOL.
The following users liked this post:
infiniticarplug (04-03-2021)
Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 PM
cvt

better watch out for those canadian VQs...they seem to be ticking time bombs...LOL
Old 05-13-2009, 09:50 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah little too far, i just only did my input with the pulleys
Old 05-13-2009, 09:54 PM
cvt

your input is fine G37rider. we all have different views here. it's when someone posts trying to be an expert and calling (obviously) more expereinced members on the biggest and oldest Z site morons is when i'd like to have fun with the lad.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:18 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
I just posted this on our local G&Z forum, and one of our local members with a VQ35DE running APS's twin turbo reported that he had his UR pulley for 2 years NA and another 2 years boosted with 0 related issues

GTRacing, can you please post a link to a thread where someone reported engine failures due to this?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:00 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I doubt it will ever cause problems but I have never thought they were worth it. One of the guys with the G35 HR dynoed his and actually lost 1 hp. For the money and labor, just seems pointless, unless you are just trying to make your signature look more impressive.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:34 PM
cvt

Originally Posted by G37Sam
GTRacing, can you please post a link to a thread where someone reported engine failures due to this?
he can't....he's taking information from the internet or recalling past experiences form different cars to make his arguement. meanwhile the "morons" at my350zAND driver who have had these and tracked them with no problems don't know anything
Old 05-14-2009, 03:37 PM
cvt

BTW Sam, make sure your friend upgrades to beefier rods if he's boostin' big...there have been a few instances where FI'd DE engines have had rods break...
Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
well he's running 500whp+ on stock interntals.. calls himself "stock block killer" haha
Old 05-14-2009, 09:34 PM
gtracing

Originally Posted by G37Sam
nope...like i said, both customers came in at different times, not even sure if they're members of any forums....i don't know them personally...so i guess i lose this battle...no hard backup/evidence unfortunately...if i knew i was gonna get into this discussion a few years ago, i would have recorded everything...

wanna formally apologize for calling anyone a moron, bad choice of words! so please accept my apologies

like i've said before, time will tell what will happen to vehicles with these pulleys....you can take my word or you can disregard it...regardless, why waste money on a part that makes no hp?

cvt, no hard feelings, i would love to prove you wrong, but i simply can't due to the fact i have no idea who these two z owners are, and if i could find them, i would definitely get them to join here and give you their input...

Quick Reply: Review Say hello to my UR Underdrive Crank Pulley