Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review Say hello to my UR Underdrive Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:35 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by gtracing
well whoever said that the factory pulley is not a dampener is a complete moron....

i don't care how WELL balanced your engine is....it is never perfect...and with even the slightest vibrations, it can cause some serious damage without the factory harmonic dampener....(i know from experience)...

even turning on your A/C can cause damage since the belt will vibrate when the A/C engages....

the vibrations may not cause any damage in the short run...but in the long run...you will start feeling weird vibrations coming from the engine..which you will feel in your cabin...followed by you kissing your crank seal good bye....once your crank seal goes...ur engine will pretty much drain all it's oil into your transmission (will slowly leak)...

lots of people say that the harmonic dampener does nothing...i beg to differ...good luck

for that extra 1whp, it's almost not worth a future full of headaches and empty wallets

http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...mper_dinan.htm
Morons you said? How respectful of you..

The OEM crank pully IS NOT A HARMONIC DAMPER! I will slice it open for you and show you.

As you can see, he refers to the E36 M3 for examples. That is an old article and our new VQ engines have harmonic dampers and are pre-balanced. I've asked around on the370Z and have gotten some nice technical replies.

Perhaps you can start a thread over there and see for yourself, just make sure you don't refer to them as morons too
Old 05-12-2009, 03:09 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
well whoever said that the factory pulley is not a dampener is a complete moron....

i don't care how WELL balanced your engine is....it is never perfect...and with even the slightest vibrations, it can cause some serious damage without the factory harmonic dampener....(i know from experience)...

even turning on your A/C can cause damage since the belt will vibrate when the A/C engages....

the vibrations may not cause any damage in the short run...but in the long run...you will start feeling weird vibrations coming from the engine..which you will feel in your cabin...followed by you kissing your crank seal good bye....once your crank seal goes...ur engine will pretty much drain all it's oil into your transmission (will slowly leak)...

lots of people say that the harmonic dampener does nothing...i beg to differ...good luck

for that extra 1whp, it's almost not worth a future full of headaches and empty wallets

There has not been one incident of a VQ engine failing due to an aftermarket pulley...not one. Wether supercharged, turbocharged, high mileage, etc. Not one. People who over generalize and have experiences with other cars are the ones who dish out the crank pulley warnings. There HAVE been issues of oil leaks in VQs due to pulleys not having a sleeve.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:13 AM
cvt

G37Sam...as a guy who has dealt with VQs for quite some time...you're safe...you've already probably done your reaearch at g35driver, my350z, or 350zmotoring to figure this out. don't listen to these people who do a google search on harmonioc dampners and have no idea what an aftermarket pulley does to a VQ.

I do have to state that crank pulleys have shown minimal to 0 gains....
Old 05-12-2009, 05:55 AM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
UR Crank Pulley.........

Sam hit me up on PM yo.

I use to have a UR Crank Pulley lol, when I went boosted it was a must go for me IMO, replaced it with a $600+ ATI one
Old 05-12-2009, 07:58 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
Morons you said? How respectful of you..

The OEM crank pully IS NOT A HARMONIC DAMPER! I will slice it open for you and show you.

As you can see, he refers to the E36 M3 for examples. That is an old article and our new VQ engines have harmonic dampers and are pre-balanced. I've asked around on the370Z and have gotten some nice technical replies.

Perhaps you can start a thread over there and see for yourself, just make sure you don't refer to them as morons too
not calling you a moron..just the people on the z forums....

ok, please show me that the oem crank pulley is not a harmonic dampener...or has no harmonic dampening characteristics to it....in other words...show me that the stock pulley is one solid piece of metal...

i believe all crank pulleys made after 1990? has a harmonic dampener in it....last i checked..i don't think you can fully "balance" harmonics....since it's a frequency that can pretty much travel through anything...you can only "dampen" harmonics...so it wouldn't matter how well balanced your cranks and pistons are....your still gonna get harmonic frequencies running through the crank...

well there seems to be two sides to this story, so i'm gonna end it here...like i've said in other threads, people need to find out the hard way sometimes...
Old 05-12-2009, 08:07 PM
gtracing

Originally Posted by cvt
There has not been one incident of a VQ engine failing due to an aftermarket pulley...not one. Wether supercharged, turbocharged, high mileage, etc. Not one. People who over generalize and have experiences with other cars are the ones who dish out the crank pulley warnings. There HAVE been issues of oil leaks in VQs due to pulleys not having a sleeve.
that's quite the statement your making.....how SURE are you that there hasn't been ONE incident of a VQ engine failing due to an aftermarket pulley?? cause i can honestly tell you, i've seen TWO failures on the VQ motor already....just because someone doesn't post it online doesn't mean it's never happened....stop living life by what you read on the net...

if the VQ motor is as perfect as you say it is....then why can i still google companies that manufacturer harmonic dampeners for the VQ motor? if it's that perfect, then these companies must realize that the engines are perfectly harmonically internally balanced and the need for a harmonic dampener is unnecessary....i guess these manufacturers don't do enough research....which includes Nissan themselves...

for the ZERO gains that you are gonna get...it's absolutely not worth it....
Old 05-12-2009, 08:14 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^^ thought you said in you las t post you were going to end it. guess you just lied to us and yourself.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:17 PM
gtracing

^^ i guess so...haha
Old 05-13-2009, 03:30 AM
cvt

that's quite the statement your making.....how SURE are you that there hasn't been ONE incident of a VQ engine failing due to an aftermarket pulley?? cause i can honestly tell you, i've seen TWO failures on the VQ motor already....just because someone doesn't post it online doesn't mean it's never happened....stop living life by what you read on the net...

if the VQ motor is as perfect as you say it is....then why can i still google companies that manufacturer harmonic dampeners for the VQ motor? if it's that perfect, then these companies must realize that the engines are perfectly harmonically internally balanced and the need for a harmonic dampener is unnecessary....i guess these manufacturers don't do enough research....which includes Nissan themselves...

for the ZERO gains that you are gonna get...it's absolutely not worth it....
oh really? so after years of looking, working at, and being around VQ engines since 02' you are the first to report of any engine failure regarding a crank pulley. i have been an avid Z member for a long time and have spent a lot of time and research on the DE, rev-up, and the HR.

Are there any pictures of thess engine failures? at what mileage? can you recall any information on these two particular engines that failed that just happened to swing by your way to tally up your VQ experience?

i never said the VQ was perfect...i just stated that there have been NO ENGINE FAILURES REGARDING AFTERMARKET CRANK PULLIES. NONE. ZIP. NADDA. Performance Nissan and West Covina Nissan, two of the biggest 350Z/G nissan dealerships in los angeles have reported no incidents. Technosquare, the guys who tune VQs for a living, have reported no incidents. As well as ALL of the Z forums including the biggest my350z.com which has over hundreds of thousands of members have not reported any incidents. Not one.

yet for some miraculous reason you have already seen 2....wow. let me rub your tummy, you must be some sort of lucky troll. i need to see if i can win the lottery.

please keep googling...and let us dumb-guys at the Z forums simmer in our ignorance

I guess we do agree on one thing...lightened aftermarket pullies do zip as far as hp gains.
The following users liked this post:
infiniticarplug (04-03-2021)
Old 05-13-2009, 03:32 AM
cvt

BTW-gtracing from richmond british columbia...have you ever seen a VQ crank pulley? have you cut a section out? why don't you order one and let us know what you think it's dampening....lol.

it looks like from this thread back in february of 09 you didn't know jack yourself

https://www.myg37.com/forums/modding...ng-pulley.html

Last edited by cvt; 05-13-2009 at 03:50 AM. Reason: more information
Old 05-13-2009, 04:46 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
thanks for chiming in cvt, that extra info is good to know. It's never wrong to research gtracing but I think you shouldn't impose your opinion and call those who don't agree morons. Learn how to use the expressions: "In My Opinion", "I Believe", "Correct me if I'm wrong" etc.. I see where you're coming from and theoretically I do agree with you. But I don't see how an extra few pounds helps in damping vibrations caused by Reciprocation of steel rods rotating @ 6000 rpm
The following users liked this post:
infiniticarplug (04-03-2021)
Old 05-13-2009, 07:24 AM
SOLISIMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is it that everytime a poor guy does a review on the pulley swap it turns into a balancer debate
Old 05-13-2009, 10:59 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back around 2000, I remember some people on the Accord forums reported their batteries were dying due to the additional stress on the alternator from one of the pulleys (actually they were UR pulleys too). Anyone hear of or encounter similar problems?

And I do agree with the claims for minimal gains. People on the Accord forums stated the responsiveness was much better but I don't think anyone reported actual gains.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very well said, even though they thought it was rude, I agree with most of what you said. I ran the ATI damper myself. Wasn't a fan of UR Pulleys, like I said PM me for info hahaha.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Though it looks slick, if the UR pulley was so good it would have been on many stock cars already imo.

with a few trade-offs, probably the lighter flywheel is a better way to go.

I did have a UR pulley on my 4-runner though..it was easy to install!

Quick Reply: Review Say hello to my UR Underdrive Crank Pulley