Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2009 6MT engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:19 PM
wcjkwan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 6MT engine questions

I'm new to this community, so here it goes.
I just got the new 2009 6MT G37S black on black Sedan and I have a few questions.

1. Push Button Start - compared to my friend's Lexus IS350 push button, my car shakes vigorously ( in my opinion ) when i push-start the engine. It feels as if I'm cranking it old school with the key, I can feel the engine start up and shake the frame. Is that how everyone else's G37's feel like?

2. FOB Key - Again, comparing with the Lexus IS 350, does anyone know if I can bring the car for service so they can change the configuration of the door button. Instead of pushing the button twice to open all 4 doors, are they able to adjust so that I just need to push once to have all 4 doors open and push the 2nd time to have all doors lock. My friend's IS350 told me he brought it to his dealer to have the manufacture's default configuration changed to his liking. But for his car, he doesn't need to push the button, just a touch on the door handle itself will register to unlock ( with his FOB key nearby of course ).

3. Engine shake - Try this fellow G37'ers. Since mine is 6MT not sure if you can reproduce this problem on 7-speed auto... when I leave my gear on Neutral, lets say at a stop light and I rev my engine up to about 3500 RPM, as it comes down to baseline, the car will gently vibrate around 2000RPM before going all the way down. The vibration comes from the engine and its minute, but noticeable. The car does not stall and nothing bad happens, I just notice that little shake, and its reproducible every time I do that. Does it happen to you?

4. RPM - this question can probably be answered only by the 6MTs. When changing gears, ie from 3 -> 4, as you shift, does the RPM suspend for a second at its current RPM? When I drive my integra, whenever i step into the clutch, the RPM will drop immediately, but this G37 will kind of suspend at its current RPM speed before it starts to drop. This doesn't have to occur only when shifting gears, just anytime the clutch is stepped on. Does it happen to you?

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:40 PM
derickso

Originally Posted by wcjkwan
I just got the new 2009 6MT G37S black on black Sedan and I have a few questions.

1. Push Button Start - compared to my friend's Lexus IS350 push button, my car shakes vigorously ( in my opinion ) when i push-start the engine. It feels as if I'm cranking it old school with the key, I can feel the engine start up and shake the frame. Is that how everyone else's G37's feel like?

2. FOB Key - Again, comparing with the Lexus IS 350, does anyone know if I can bring the car for service so they can change the configuration of the door button. Instead of pushing the button twice to open all 4 doors, are they able to adjust so that I just need to push once to have all 4 doors open and push the 2nd time to have all doors lock. My friend's IS350 told me he brought it to his dealer to have the manufacture's default configuration changed to his liking. But for his car, he doesn't need to push the button, just a touch on the door handle itself will register to unlock ( with his FOB key nearby of course ).

3. Engine shake - Try this fellow G37'ers. Since mine is 6MT not sure if you can reproduce this problem on 7-speed auto... when I leave my gear on Neutral, lets say at a stop light and I rev my engine up to about 3500 RPM, as it comes down to baseline, the car will gently vibrate around 2000RPM before going all the way down. The vibration comes from the engine and its minute, but noticeable. The car does not stall and nothing bad happens, I just notice that little shake, and its reproducible every time I do that. Does it happen to you?

4. RPM - this question can probably be answered only by the 6MTs. When changing gears, ie from 3 -> 4, as you shift, does the RPM suspend for a second at its current RPM? When I drive my integra, whenever i step into the clutch, the RPM will drop immediately, but this G37 will kind of suspend at its current RPM speed before it starts to drop. This doesn't have to occur only when shifting gears, just anytime the clutch is stepped on. Does it happen to you?

Thanks.

1. Mine doesn't do that.
2. No idea.
3. Happens to me, I think it's normal.
4. RPM's drop slower in this car than in others - i wouldn't say it suspends but you don't need to speed shift in this car to get smooth transitions.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:12 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Mine has a slight shake when starting, but I don't consider it serious. I have been driving VQ engined cars for 10 years, so I am somewhat use to the lack of refinement Infiniti has compared to say Lexus.
2. Don't think so, but not sure either.
3. Mine does it slightly. Again, I don't think it is serious, it is just another trait of the VQ. It is not the smoothest of engines out there (although the VQ37VHR is much better than the VQ35DE in my 04).
4. I agree with the above. It does not drop as fast as some of the Honda and Acura's I have driven (94 GSR, 98 type-R), but I would not say it is suspended. It probably has to do with the flywheel and clutch used. The lighter the flywheel, the faster the RPM's will fall.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wcjkwan

Yea...mine does that a bit...but its nothing to worry about. Don't even overthink it.

If you find an answer...I'd like to do this too.

Haven't noticed it.

I think its an emissions thing or an ease of shift thing. Bottom line..its the ecu holding up the RPM's. My 06 Altima SE-R did that too.

Thanks.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:05 PM
saltfish

In regards to question # 2 i believe there is a option under Settings, Comfort and Convenience, Selective Door Unlock to either lock or unlock all door when the request handle is pushed, no need to take it to the dealer.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:52 PM
zmzmzm

Originally Posted by saltfish
In regards to question # 2 i believe there is a option under Settings, Comfort and Convenience, Selective Door Unlock to either lock or unlock all door when the request handle is pushed, no need to take it to the dealer.
It is in the owner's manual somewhere... I did change this configuration on my G37 so I know it can be done.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:54 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Yes, there is a slight shake at start-up especially when the engine is cold.

2. I believe this setting can be changed through the Nissan Consult tool at the dealer.

3. No vibration with rpm drop for me.

4. Yes, I experience the same thing. It's a bit annoying.

The Infiniti lacks in the NVH area compared to Lexus, however it's a much more engaging car especially in steering feedback, handling, and engine responsiveness.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
NVH and feedback/drive responsiveness generally have an inverse relationship
Old 05-04-2009, 06:04 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madmax2k1

The Infiniti lacks in the NVH area compared to Lexus, however it's a much more engaging car especially in steering feedback, handling, and engine responsiveness.
Very true statement.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:40 PM
mal_TX

1. Yep, especially when cold. VQ is kind of rough, like everyone else says. As your car breaks in the VQ will be a little rough while driving instead of just at start-up, but its not too bad and much better than the old VQ35DE.

2. Yes, this is configurable w/o going to the dealer. It is in your menu system under Convenience. Make sure the car is not moving when you go looking for this, as it will hide it if you are rolling. The setting affects both the FOB unlock button *and* the exterior door unlock button, so once you change it, it should behave your like your friend's Lexus.

3. Engine shake seems common in this car. Try this -- drive up in 3rd gear up to 4,500rpm, and take your foot off the gas but leave it in 3rd gear -- engine braking coast. Keep your hand on the shifter. When mine crosses about 3000 rpm, the shifter vibrates noticeably for about half a second. My old 05 and 06 G coupes did that as well, so it seems the VQ has some sort of harmonic vibration at that rev.

4. Yes, this car has a slow RPM drop. I read someplace that it is becoming commonplace on late model cars and has something to do with emissions reduction. What year is your Integra? I think the G's ECU actually says "screw it" with regards to emissions if you are shifting near redline, because it seems to drop plenty fast in those conditions.