Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

mods = power loss??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 03:43 PM
ufo
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
IMO, if you like to tinker with your car as a hobby then mods can satisfy that need. Otherwise, save your money and leave the car stock. Spending all that cash and chancing voiding your warranty for a minimal and sometimes non-existent hp gain that you’ll never notice anyway, doesn’t seem to be worth it.
That is a good point. I like working on the car, satisfies that inner need that I acquired in the 80's with the muscle cars of the era. I had two '69 Chevelle SS, a '68 Dodge Coronet 440 RT (not at the same time), and totalled them all LOL! But you could work on those cars. But I digress. I'll most likely look into getting the car tuned. Maybe go with the Stillen 3G intake.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:37 PM
yacoub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
A grounding kit will NOT make any low end torque. Mine nor anyone else's. That's not what they are for.
No but they might improve his throttle/transmission response, which is something it sounded like he described.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:56 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Osiris UpRev. Done.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:50 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

^ is that out yet?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:27 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes and No. Not for all ecu #s yet. But if you want to get a tune, it can and will be done.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:45 PM
tristan1334

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't forget our drive by wire throttle. It does not give us 100% and does give a bit of a delay. You might wanna check it out or ask some members that has it.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:03 AM
w0ady

more air flow = less torque down low = more hp up high. thats what you're probably noticing.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:23 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i dunno, honestly....nothing beats stock unless ur planning on going with FI....

reason being is that most mods that people do (bolt on's) are for high rpm/horsepower, etc etc etc...yea it looks good on paper...but for the people who do these sorts of mods, how many actually track their cars?? to make daily/city driving fun...it's all about the torque...if ur planning to do intakes and pulleys and exhausts, etc etc then be prepared to kiss ur torque goodbye...
Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 PM
SilverRSXJezus

Originally Posted by gtracing
i dunno, honestly....nothing beats stock unless ur planning on going with FI....

reason being is that most mods that people do (bolt on's) are for high rpm/horsepower, etc etc etc...yea it looks good on paper...but for the people who do these sorts of mods, how many actually track their cars?? to make daily/city driving fun...it's all about the torque...if ur planning to do intakes and pulleys and exhausts, etc etc then be prepared to kiss ur torque goodbye...
I guess it just depends on where you live.

My definition of daily driving, based on where I live, definitely lets me utilize high rpms whenever I feel like since it's mostly a suburb. Then highway runs...definitely get to use it as well. I guess it just depends on how much you are willing to pay for certain kinds of benefits.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:53 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

^+1 yeah if you live in NYC or somewhere with heavy traffic it might not seem worth it but anywhere with an open stretch of road or highway it makes it all more than worth it
Old 05-05-2009, 02:08 AM
gtracing

Originally Posted by SilverRSXJezus
I guess it just depends on where you live.

My definition of daily driving, based on where I live, definitely lets me utilize high rpms whenever I feel like since it's mostly a suburb. Then highway runs...definitely get to use it as well. I guess it just depends on how much you are willing to pay for certain kinds of benefits.
but even on a highway run....how fast can u possibly go? and does ur rpm's sit at 5000+?? usually people cruise around 100-130km/h...u'll be sitting at mid rpm's....unless u have no respect for other life forms and ur pedal to the metal the entire stretch....

even at the best case scenario, ur full throttle on the on-ramp onto the highway....u'll go through 2-3 gears hitting 7500rpm....that's about it....i know it's fun to have that extra pull on the top....but for the amount of torque that u lose, it's almost not worth it...that's just my opinion tho....some people are all about the bragging rights and how much whp they have....
Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 PM
SilverRSXJezus

but even on a highway run....how fast can u possibly go? and does ur rpm's sit at 5000+?? usually people cruise around 100-130km/h...u'll be sitting at mid rpm's....unless u have no respect for other life forms and ur pedal to the metal the entire stretch....

even at the best case scenario, ur full throttle on the on-ramp onto the highway....u'll go through 2-3 gears hitting 7500rpm....that's about it....i know it's fun to have that extra pull on the top....but for the amount of torque that u lose, it's almost not worth it...that's just my opinion tho....some people are all about the bragging rights and how much whp they have....

Most people don't modify their cars so that their daily driving habit/style would be more exciting, but rather whenever they feel like pushing their car, or just driving spiritedly, which happens quite often more than you think, those horsepower gains can be realized.

Don't forget that there is also the sound benefit. I would think that nearly all of those who get aftermarket intakes, exhausts, whatever, would agree with me in that if their aftermarket part only came with horsepower gain and zero change in sound, their appreciation of the modification will be significantly diminished.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverRSXJezus
Most people don't modify their cars so that their daily driving habit/style would be more exciting, but rather whenever they feel like pushing their car, or just driving spiritedly, which happens quite often more than you think, those horsepower gains can be realized.

Don't forget that there is also the sound benefit. I would think that nearly all of those who get aftermarket intakes, exhausts, whatever, would agree with me in that if their aftermarket part only came with horsepower gain and zero change in sound, their appreciation of the modification will be significantly diminished.
I am the polar opposite of the crowd on that issue. I'd prefer my mods to make my car perform better and if it doesn't change the sound at all I'd be ecstatic. I can do cosmetic mods if I want to scream "Hey look at me everybody!". I want my mechanical mods to increase the performance of my car for the way I drive it every day. Leave the obnoxiously loud sound to Harleys and Mustangs who crave that type of attention.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:52 PM
PearlG37

There seems to be a lot of discussion lately on how bolt ons "kill" your torque, or makes it "feel" sluggish. All the talk is mostly just that, talk. Nobody has really shown with actual data that bolt ons reduce your torque/hp. In fact, if you do a quick search, you'll find the opposite. It took me a minute to find this:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...no-sheets.html

Check out bboysteeles dyno before an after all the basic mods (intake, catback, and HFC). 34whp and 17 TQ. They are good numbers, and I stress numbers. You can find many more like this as well.

You may notice that up until ~2350RPM the power and torque is about the same. I personally never drive in that RPM range. Show me how low end torque was reduced?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:22 PM
ufo
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I am the polar opposite of the crowd on that issue. I'd prefer my mods to make my car perform better and if it doesn't change the sound at all I'd be ecstatic. I can do cosmetic mods if I want to scream "Hey look at me everybody!". I want my mechanical mods to increase the performance of my car for the way I drive it every day. Leave the obnoxiously loud sound to Harleys and Mustangs who crave that type of attention.
yeah I'm with you on this, I like being somewhat low-key but able to smoke you off the line. So maybe I just didn't look into this whole mods issue sufficiently before jumping into it. I want the G to smoke the tires from a dead stop and maybe that is just not realistic with an AT, unless you get into power braking it. Of course the VDC might have something to do with the ability to do that as well.

Quick Reply: mods = power loss??