Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How do we feel about the Nismo Z 350HP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do we feel about the Nismo Z 350HP?

350HP/ 276lb-ft of torque, unlike the older uprev motor (I think) this doesn't loose torque for more HP....or..at least the peak torque is up.

I wonder if it takes a big hit at the bottom end?

Nissanusa claims it has a free flow exhaust and "H" pipe...but I'm sure some ecu tunning is involed.

So...kinda cool to see they can bump it up to 350HP and this isn't even with direct injection.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:14 AM
elite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking I don't care.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Yeah the Nismo Z gets some better breathing parts out of the factory, along with nissan engineers that can get the most out of it. Its not unreasonable to see the extra 18hp over the 370z base.

Simple mods like an exhaust, hfc's, have netted the 370z a decent amount of gains, as we've seen so far.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Roseyhebert

I really like the Nismo Z but I am not sure it would be worth getting rid of my G for it. I want buttons to push and stuff like that on my car. The Z is still just so plain on the inside. That actually makes a difference to me.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Mike S.

I knew the first repsonse was going to be a smart azzz... LOL

I guess I'm not asking if we're dumping our G's to get Z's, I'm thinking about the possiblilty of an easy 20hp gain...which sometimes with aftermarket parts is easier said than done. Esp when dynos sometimes show dissapointing gains from 500 dollar intakes and 700 reflashes.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Keep in mind that they're rating the 350 hp at the flywheel, not at the wheels. So gaining 18 horses at the flywheel is definitely do-able with some breathing mods. I mean, if WE are gaining say 17 hp at the wheels off of an intake and exhaust, you add roughly 16% to compensate for drivetrain loss, you're gaining about 19.72 hp at the crank

Yeah, I might be just a little off, but you get the point
Old 04-27-2009, 12:36 PM
SilverRSXJezus

Originally Posted by Mike S.
350HP/ 276lb-ft of torque, unlike the older uprev motor (I think) this doesn't loose torque for more HP....or..at least the peak torque is up.

I wonder if it takes a big hit at the bottom end?

Nissanusa claims it has a free flow exhaust and "H" pipe...but I'm sure some ecu tunning is involed.

So...kinda cool to see they can bump it up to 350HP and this isn't even with direct injection.

Unless you have seen a dyno, I'm willing to bet that it does lose some lower end torque for high end power. Peak torque numbers won't be related to any low end RPM losses as it will generally be located around the mid to higher RPMs.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 PM
christian655321

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
perhaps the changed the plenum a little, knows.. doesnt matter though go FI and you dont have to worrd about it anymore..
Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Mike S.

Originally Posted by Gamedog
Keep in mind that they're rating the 350 hp at the flywheel, not at the wheels. So gaining 18 horses at the flywheel is definitely do-able with some breathing mods. I mean, if WE are gaining say 17 hp at the wheels off of an intake and exhaust, you add roughly 16% to compensate for drivetrain loss, you're gaining about 19.72 hp at the crank

Yeah, I might be just a little off, but you get the point
I'm not being a jerk when I say this....but are people gaining 17 or so HP at the wheels with intakes and exhausts?

I thought the stock intake was supposed to be left alone...that is flows fine. This gain is for coupes I would imagine but the seadan VQ37 is basically identical.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:15 PM
xyz
Registered Member

I'm not being a jerk when I say this....but are people gaining 17 or so HP at the wheels with intakes and exhausts?

I thought the stock intake was supposed to be left alone...that is flows fine. This gain is for coupes I would imagine but the seadan VQ37 is basically identical.
Let's say it is just the cat-back exhaust, and we have seen 10~13 whp from that on the G37s. So that is prob around 13~16 hp at the flywheel, not that far off from the 18 the 370z nismo's getting.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:48 PM
DCook42

I was seriously considering the Nismo 350Z ('08) when I decided to go with the G37. I *loved* the back end of that car, the wheels, the low profile and body styling... the deal breaker for me was that when you sat in the car and looked back, all you saw was a plastic wall and the rear window. I know the G37 doesn't have much of a back seat, but it's enough to cram a couple females back there!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:40 PM
ucla bruin

I gained +16 to +19 at the wheels with just an intake.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The stock intakes do flow well, but there's always room for improvement over OEM. Most intakes do improve overall power. When we say "lose" power (mainly torque), we're referencing two companies known to do that: The old Fujita SRI, and JWT Pops. Of course with a proper tune you'll see more power from these two then stock intakes.

Fujita has since come out with newer short ram intakes that seem to flow a lot better then their first setup a year ago.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:56 PM
dannbla
LA G Club

which intakes do you have again?

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
I gained +16 to +19 at the wheels with just an intake.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:09 PM
ucla bruin

Injen's CAI, there's a review thread on it.

Quick Reply: How do we feel about the Nismo Z 350HP?