Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Eveyrthing is all F*********!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:59 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eveyrthing is all F*********!!

Ok just the other day this all started. I came outside in the morning to pull my G into the driveway for a wash. Anyways I push the start button and it sounded like it didn't want to start, even though it did. So I thought maybe the battery is having a problem and I just ignored it. I drove on the highway for a while and all was fine for the past 2-3 days. Anyways I went out today, and while I was driving on the Long Island expressway and I started losing power and everything was vibrating and shaking and the car didn't want to go even when pushing the accelerator and then the battery light came on then went off and that's when the service engine soon light came on and started flashing while all the vibrating is going on.

So when I get caught in heavy traffic my G37 stops on me dead on the expressway, and I have to start it up again. My cell phone was dead so I couldn't call for help. I had to start it up and drive it all the way home with it loosing power. So I got it to the shop with my mechanic just about two hours ago and he tested the battery and it tested good. He said it's possibly the alternator. We smelled a buring smell coming from the compartment, but it wasn't the engine. So anyways I have to leave it over there for a day until they order the new part and hope to god that's the problem, if not I would of taken it to the dealer but service isn't open today.

Any ideas guys? I was so embarrased today cause people on the expressway are looking at me like "Oh look the guy is driving a New Infiniti and it's already broken down".

Is it possible to have ruin the engine driving it home like that loosing power? I feel like crying right now!! My baby!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:17 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

Sorry for the title but I've just had it for a couple of months already and now it already has a problem. It's only been in the shop twice already for just oil changes that's it.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You took it to your own mechanic or to a dealership? Your car is under warranty, call Infiniti roadside assistance and have them tow it (flatbed) to the dealership and have them look at it and fix it.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:47 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
You took it to your own mechanic or to a dealership? Your car is under warranty, call Infiniti roadside assistance and have them tow it (flatbed) to the dealership and have them look at it and fix it.
what he said.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:51 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I took it to my my mechanic cause the service dep is closed right now. BTW I completely forgot about the warranty . I shall call the mechanic and tell him to cancel the alternator order.

I'm more worried about the engine right now cause I had to drive it like that. I'm worried it might it might not run like it use to after the whole incident. But then again it is the indestructible VQ series right?

I'd like to add that I have been using a 400 watt power inverter for my laptop and cellphone. The wire has a short so it kept going on and off the past few days.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:21 PM
aznutx

if it's electrical loss, i dont think ur engine will mess up or nothing so probably just alternator especially if u got smoke/burning smell, usually the alternator, dealership will replace for free
Old 04-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
doesn't really sound like an alternator problem. he was able to restart and limp to his mechanic.

good luck! remove your mods before you take it into your dealer.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:50 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Sounds like somethign went haywire- not likely engine problems or anything that could cause problems with the engine. Sounds like somethign electrical. Keep us posted.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:54 PM
SOLISIMO

You forgot about warranty? Hmmm ok
Old 04-26-2009, 10:47 PM
bunluvsvw

Originally Posted by SOLISIMO
You forgot about warranty? Hmmm ok
Totally agreed, sorry to sound mean, but the dudes retarded, roadside assistance, warranty, you bring it to your joe blow mechanic, yeah, ok
Old 04-26-2009, 10:56 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bunluvsvw
Totally agreed, sorry to sound mean, but the dudes retarded, roadside assistance, warranty, you bring it to your joe blow mechanic, yeah, ok
Dude best of luck with this. Personally I know that its really not that strange to turn to a trusted mechanic if the dealership is closed. I ALWAYS get my mechanic’s opinion when it comes to my cars. Now as to ordering parts for my car thats still under warranty well that’s another story.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:05 PM
bunluvsvw

Originally Posted by blackfunk
Dude best of luck with this. Personally I know that its really not that strange to turn to a trusted mechanic if the dealership is closed. I ALWAYS get my mechanic’s opinion when it comes to my cars. Now as to ordering parts for my car thats still under warranty well that’s another story.
Yeah, its one thing to get an opinion, but whats there to ask or worry about when towings free, parts free, and labors free? So if the dealer says you got a bad alternator and battery but your mechanic says your batterys fine, you gonna bitch at the dealer when they put in a new battery for you for free anyway?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:41 AM
iLlmAtIc21390

Ok I had it towed to the dealer first thing this morning. Dealer called there own towing service (free ofcoarse).

Anyways the infiniti mechanic tells me that it is the alernator was shot and how the regulator was damaged or something I don't know. He said it was putting out only 12volts when it should be putting out 14volts. Anyways I never told him about my use of the power inverter cause I thought it would void the warranty. Luckily Infiniti had the alternator in stock already. I was scared that he'd see my injen intakes and it would void the warranty but he never said anything about it. Guess he never noticed

Anyways I told him how I drove it like that vibrating and lost of power with the service engine soon light flashing and he said that I probably didn't damage anything, but he said it's possible to have damaged either the valves, cat converter, or coils. OH NOOO

I have to go pick it up in a few hours. Everything was fixed under warranty. But now I'm worried about the valves, and stuff. Are their any mechanics on here that know a thing or two about it?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An intake doesnt void your warranty. same as exhaust. This is not a GT-R.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
bunluvsvw

Originally Posted by Heat
An intake doesnt void your warranty. same as exhaust. This is not a GT-R.
But the mechanic didnt see the intake, according to him.