Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Eveyrthing is all F*********!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have taken my car in twice for the battery dying and I have even informed them that I have an intake and they dont care because it doesnt matter.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Maybe if you could go ahead and stop with the using the shorted out power inverter you wouldn't F up your car, M'KaaaaaY?

If your alternator is shot, that's what did it. STOP! If the dealership knew about this, you would be SOL because that is most definitely NOT covered by your warranty. Not to mention that you can cause a fire.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bunluvsvw
But the mechanic didnt see the intake, according to him.
I don't care if he'd seen it or not.

I'm more concerned with my valves, coils, and cat right now.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 PM
kieranlavin

Typical dealer BS. Your alternator going isn't going to hurt your engine internals.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:00 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

Originally Posted by kieranlavin
Typical dealer BS. Your alternator going isn't going to hurt your engine internals.
Thanks a little relief. But in a way I believed him cause when the alternator crapped out on me it made the engine shake and vibrate alot. I was doing 10-15MPH and the cluster was already shooting up and 3000RPM

When I would come to a stop in the backed up traffic, it shook violently and wanted to shut off. I had to keep pumping some gas to keep it on.

I'm about to leave in an hour to pick it up.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:09 PM
kieranlavin

The alternator is affecting your power and these days with the gauges and everything so incredibly technology-laden, the gauges were likely not getting proper voltage/signal causing them to be off as well.

Also, I meant to address the statement earlier that it couldn't be the alternator because you still drove... the battery starts the car and the alternator runs it. When the alternator goes, the car starts trying to run off the battery. It'll go for a little while but eventually the battery will lose charge and you won't be able to drive at all. My point in this is not just that it can be re-started and driven with a bad/blown alternator but that you should pay VERY close attention going forward to your battery. It is likely discharged to a point that it may have lost some of it's charging capacity.

Finally, I have one car that had an alternator replaced at 70k miles with a brand new unit and then again at about 220k miles with a donor from a friend's car. Both times the car did the sputtering and hiccuping and everything else. No internal damage. It's just that the engine isn't getting proper voltage to run so it starts to try to stall out and that's all it is. It feels aweful but it's not really damaging in the least
Old 04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

The alternator is affecting your power and these days with the gauges and everything so incredibly technology-laden, the gauges were likely not getting proper voltage/signal causing them to be off as well.

Also, I meant to address the statement earlier that it couldn't be the alternator because you still drove... the battery starts the car and the alternator runs it. When the alternator goes, the car starts trying to run off the battery. It'll go for a little while but eventually the battery will lose charge and you won't be able to drive at all. My point in this is not just that it can be re-started and driven with a bad/blown alternator but that you should pay VERY close attention going forward to your battery. It is likely discharged to a point that it may have lost some of it's charging capacity.

Finally, I have one car that had an alternator replaced at 70k miles with a brand new unit and then again at about 220k miles with a donor from a friend's car. Both times the car did the sputtering and hiccuping and everything else. No internal damage. It's just that the engine isn't getting proper voltage to run so it starts to try to stall out and that's all it is. It feels aweful but it's not really damaging in the least
Thanks good information!!!

I really needed the opinion's of others instead of worrying about what the master tech over at Infiniti of Man. tells me something. Does this mean that I will have to swap the battery out soon probably. I got a road trip coming up and really don't want to have any worries with the battery later on.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 PM
kieranlavin

I wouldn't worry much about the battery now. Just keep an eye on it. Get a multimeter if you don't already have one and check your voltage every few days until you're satisfied that it's ok. Then go to once a week or so. You brought the car to Infiniti of Manhattan? I work right up the street from them. The only experience I had with them was when I requested a quote on an FX45 and the salesman asked if I wanted that in AWD. I stopped it right there.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

I wouldn't worry much about the battery now. Just keep an eye on it. Get a multimeter if you don't already have one and check your voltage every few days until you're satisfied that it's ok. Then go to once a week or so. You brought the car to Infiniti of Manhattan? I work right up the street from them. The only experience I had with them was when I requested a quote on an FX45 and the salesman asked if I wanted that in AWD. I stopped it right there.
yea Infiniti of manhattan. That's where I bought the G from. Do you know Jack Littlefield? He's a good guy. He actually knew what he was talking about when I was asking him some questions about the 4WAS. Some salesman don't even know one thing about the stuff they sell. Sometimes I wonder how they even get the job.

thanks again
Old 04-27-2009, 02:47 PM
kieranlavin

Originally Posted by iLlmAtIc21390
yea Infiniti of manhattan. That's where I bought the G from. Do you know Jack Littlefield? He's a good guy. He actually knew what he was talking about when I was asking him some questions about the 4WAS. Some salesman don't even know one thing about the stuff they sell. Sometimes I wonder how they even get the job.

thanks again
I don't know Jack or who it was that I spoke with via e-mail when looking for my cars. You know you're not obligated to bring the car to the dealership you purchased your car for to have it serviced? If that were the case, I'd be driving 2.5 hours from PA to Massapequa for servicing!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:03 PM
gurneyeagle

Originally Posted by iLlmAtIc21390
I took it to my my mechanic cause the service dep is closed right now. BTW I completely forgot about the warranty.
Someone checking the deep end of the gene pool around here?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:43 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

Well I just got back from the dealer. The alternator is in and everything but I still don't have my car back yet. I went to start it up and it's still rumbling a little. The airbag light, battery light, oil light, and service engine light are lit up and the car didn't make the beep beep beep beep noise when it started up like it's suppose to. Dealer now says it's a coil and will be looked at in the morning.

I'm helpless now! Someone shoot me
Old 04-27-2009, 05:56 PM
DetroitG37Joe

U forgot about your warranty? Holy crap Infiniti probably prays for more consumers like you! lol...ust messin.

For real doe - just have Infiniti take care of it. If its a continued problem, or they are too slow or problematic in fixing it - you can always call Infiniti Consumer Affairs and get higher ups involved. Be aggressive.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:21 PM
iinviktus

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Maybe if you could go ahead and stop with the using the shorted out power inverter you wouldn't F up your car, M'KaaaaaY?

If your alternator is shot, that's what did it. STOP! If the dealership knew about this, you would be SOL because that is most definitely NOT covered by your warranty. Not to mention that you can cause a fire.
I was thinking the same thing. First the OP does this and wonders what's wrong with the car, and then forgets about his warranty? Someone's been smoking that sticky icky.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:29 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is exactly why when you or someone else messes with your electrical parts, you make sure you or that person knows exactly what is being done and what the outcome is going to be. Getting it to work in one thing, knowing what's gonna happen to the rest of the car when it's working is another.

How did you wire up your system? if done correctly, you shouldn't rob any voltage from the car.