Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine Tick After Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:52 PM
derickso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Tick After Dealer

Took my car to the dealer today after hearing what sounded like a rattle in the muffler. They took it and drove it around and said all is well. I was okay with their answer, and drove back to work. When I got home at night I felt like I could still hear a rattle so I had my girlfriend rev the engine while I stood outside and upon deceleration the exhaust kind of gurgled and sounded like a backfire. I popped the hood and there is a metal on metal tick in the engine (can only hear when the hood is open). Not sure what could cause the tick, it's right under the engine cover (valve, lifter?). The car still drives fine, I can't hear anything different when driving and it still pulls pretty good.

I've driven the car about 1000 miles and when I bought it it had 1200 miles (dealer said from test drives). I haven't really pushed it yet, maybe hit 7K rpm once or twice. When I bought it I never popped the hood and had people rev it up to listen to it, but this doesn't seem right to me.

Any thoughts on what it could be? Does the G have a slight tick or gurgle when it's cold?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Mr.Selfdestruct

The gurgle/"afterburn" sound you decribe is normal. Mine is very new, and I get the same sound out of the exhaust....do you ever hear a pop?

Normally it can be a result from a slight exhaust leak, but is not a major issue that will affect reliability or performance
Old 04-24-2009, 12:55 PM
iinviktus

I love that gurgle sound! LOL.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Michelangelo

Maybe it's the bank 2 VVEL actuator noise?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/2521742-post1.html
Old 04-24-2009, 10:04 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Last oil change I brought my car into the dealer and a service manager mentioned they've had a few folks complaining about a tick sound while running on the break in oil, after your first oil change that should go away. My car's over a year old, I was bringing in my own oil, I guess he was just making small talk.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 04-25-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:25 AM
badcd

That gurgle or burble sound reminds me of my '72 351 Boss Mustang. Very much like many high compression V-8's.

It's telling you you've got yourself one of-- if not the best-- V6 engines available.

That's what you're paying for!
Old 04-25-2009, 09:02 AM
derickso

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Last oil change I brought my car into the dealer and a service manager mentioned they've had a few folks complaining about a tick sound while running on the break in oil, after your first oil change that should go away. My car's over a year old, I was bringing in my own oil, I guess he was just making small talk.
After listening to it for awhile that is the same thing I was thinking. From my past limited engine experience it kind of sounded like valve tick more than anything else. I'm sure it's been run pretty hard on the break in oil so hopefully a full change will cure it.

Originally Posted by Michelangelo
Maybe it's the bank 2 VVEL actuator noise?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/2521742-post1.html
Yeah, I looked into that - it's similar, but not the same. Thanks for lookin' out.

Originally Posted by Mr.Selfdestruct
The gurgle/"afterburn" sound you decribe is normal. Mine is very new, and I get the same sound out of the exhaust....do you ever hear a pop?

Normally it can be a result from a slight exhaust leak, but is not a major issue that will affect reliability or performance

Gotcha, thanks. I am replacing exhaust in the next few weeks anyways so that's fine.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:39 AM
blueborat

This similar situation actually happened When I test drove the demo last week. When I gave her a little gas there was this ticking noise. I pointed out the problem. The salesman quickly changed the car and I went out for another test drive. At the day of my car's delivery the salesman told me after the inspection that demo's engine is toasted. The reason being the engine had been over-reved. So, U should really get the dealer to check your car out.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:26 AM
derickso

Originally Posted by blueborat
This similar situation actually happened When I test drove the demo last week. When I gave her a little gas there was this ticking noise. I pointed out the problem. The salesman quickly changed the car and I went out for another test drive. At the day of my car's delivery the salesman told me after the inspection that demo's engine is toasted. The reason being the engine had been over-reved. So, U should really get the dealer to check your car out.

Could you hear it while driving? I can only hear the tick if I open the hood and stand right over the engine.. If it was over-revved wouldn't it be more of rod knock or if a valve was bent wouldn't there be some sort of loss of power?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 AM
blueborat

I heard it clearly when I am on throttle... with the hood closed.. so it was pretty bad. I only make about 300ft away from the dealership and I turned back. I didnt get the chance at all to open her up.