Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Weird noise when I am shifting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:13 AM
yakuzapop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird noise when I am shifting.

I reseached about this noise but, did not find any........

past 9 months, I always listen music while I am driving; but these day I like driving without music and half way window down.
Then I found this weird noise!
My car making weird noise shifting gear at 3000RPM or higher. sound more likely deep whistle sound "Whung~~~~~~~~"

also I can hear more clearly 1-2 gear..
under the 3000RPM then it dosen't make any this noise......

I think I hear the noise from engine room may be intake?? I don't know.
Anyone heard of this??
Old 04-18-2009, 12:19 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Did you do any engine mods?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:05 AM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
does it sound like a screw driver tapping on a bench? could be the TSB problem with the heater core...
Old 04-18-2009, 01:31 PM
yakuzapop

Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
Did you do any engine mods?
Nope, not yet..........
Old 04-18-2009, 01:38 PM
yakuzapop

Originally Posted by aliiin
does it sound like a screw driver tapping on a bench? could be the TSB problem with the heater core...
no, It's not like metal or tapping sound, its more like air flow sound...
its like "wung~~~~~~~" it continues till I shift into second gear.
and I tried accelerating till 5000rpm then put gear in Nuetral; the noise was 2 second long...."WUNG~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"
Old 04-18-2009, 10:00 PM
scorviss

My car makes the same noise, it sounds like the engine fan is running on high, and it's weird that it happens (at least for me) between 3k and 4k rpm only.

Is that the kind of sounds you're getting? I'd like to know too if its something weird/wrong..
Old 04-19-2009, 06:29 PM
yakuzapop

Originally Posted by scorviss
My car makes the same noise, it sounds like the engine fan is running on high, and it's weird that it happens (at least for me) between 3k and 4k rpm only.

Is that the kind of sounds you're getting? I'd like to know too if its something weird/wrong..
yes, It does between 3k-4k rpm only......
I am going to oil change next week so, I will ask service guy about this noise.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:22 PM
tristan1334

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by yakuzapop
yes, It does between 3k-4k rpm only......
I am going to oil change next week so, I will ask service guy about this noise.
Have them check your coolant. The fan usually turns on when it reaches a certain temperature. But as soon as you get moving your radiator cools down and the fan turns off. That's maybe why you only hear it at a very low speeds. Just my $.02
Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 PM
yakuzapop

Originally Posted by tristan1334
Have them check your coolant. The fan usually turns on when it reaches a certain temperature. But as soon as you get moving your radiator cools down and the fan turns off. That's maybe why you only hear it at a very low speeds. Just my $.02
Coolant level is fine.........I guess not many of 6MT driver notice this noise. or maybe theirs don't make noise....
Old 04-29-2009, 06:46 PM
scorviss

Did you get any answer from the dealer on this?? If not i'm taking my car in this weekend for an oil change and will ask their advice..
Old 05-03-2009, 06:55 AM
G37nS2K

im really really really sorry to see all these threads about getting problems on our G,

and i cant really justify for those who still think our car is so reliable car, just because it is "japanese" car.

i tell you, all japanese auto makers dont make reliable cars. that reputation was pretty much built by Honda and Toyota, and the infiniti is taking advantage of it since they are also a Japanese automaker( well more than 50% of their company stocks are owned by european automakers, so they are not really technically japanese automaker but then they established originally in Japan)

my car is at dealership now, and i was thinking yesterday before i go to sleep, i might start to park my car outside, to be more specific, i wll park my car on one of the busiest street and also dangerous street and get a taxi home.

who knows, someone might just smash my G to hell or disappear over a night, if this was my only possibility to make it gone

this is how much i hate it.

Last edited by G37nS2K; 05-03-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:00 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's easy to draw a negative conclusion about a car when you personally have been blessed with one that makes it through QA with defects. Even with the best QA processes some problems get through, nobody has perfect runs. Usually they are fixed and life goes on without issue if the car is well designed. In your case they seem to be having a challenge with diagnosing root cause but they will eventually fix it and hopefully without additional stress. Still the prevalence for this car anyway is a high degree of reliability. Many folks, like myself have never had a single issue and by far make up the majority.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:36 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by G37nS2K
im really really really sorry to see all these threads about getting problems on our G,

and i cant really justify for those who still think our car is so reliable car, just because it is "japanese" car.

i tell you, all japanese auto makers dont make reliable cars. that reputation was pretty much built by Honda and Toyota, and the infiniti is taking advantage of it since they are also a Japanese automaker( well more than 50% of their company stocks are owned by european automakers, so they are not really technically japanese automaker but then they established originally in Japan)

my car is at dealership now, and i was thinking yesterday before i go to sleep, i might start to park my car outside, to be more specific, i wll park my car on one of the busiest street and also dangerous street and get a taxi home.

who knows, someone might just smash my G to hell or disappear over a night, if this was my only possibility to make it gone

this is how much i hate it.

thats really sad that you say you hate your G that much!! i think you might be the one and only person who actually is upset with their G...no car is perfect, but these certainly come close!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:51 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yakuzapop
I reseached about this noise but, did not find any........

past 9 months, I always listen music while I am driving; but these day I like driving without music and half way window down.
Then I found this weird noise!
My car making weird noise shifting gear at 3000RPM or higher. sound more likely deep whistle sound "Whung~~~~~~~~"

also I can hear more clearly 1-2 gear..
under the 3000RPM then it dosen't make any this noise......

I think I hear the noise from engine room may be intake?? I don't know.
Anyone heard of this??

I think my car does the same noise but when im stopped, not when im driving. Funny thing is that when i step on the clutch it goes away, but when i release the clutch I can hear the noise again. Dont know if its the same noise ur talking about though, just though I'd chimed in. I hate that noise. Sounds louder when I'm at a drive thru restaurant window. My girlfriends always like what the hell is that noise, ur cars dumb. It drives me crazy.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:12 PM
G37-6MT

Old thread, but my car does this too. It's most noticeable with the windows up, radio off, and shifting at high rpms.

I think it coming from the clutch assembly and probably normal (although I wish it wasn't there).

Quick Reply: Weird noise when I am shifting.