Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Test pipes???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
Since when is everyone so environmental friendly? I am sure my friend, that everything you use in daily life contributes to global warming. So using the argument of "test pipes" as something illegal and ruining our O3 layer is weak, if your so considered with the air quality, than I suggest you stop using a computer, refrigerator, hair dryer, or any house hold appliance than emitts CO2 gas.

And for the record, I spent two years as co-president of an environmental group while I was attending a local CC.
You seem to be doing the same thing that VIP G did, i.e., pointing out one (or more in your case) bad thing to justify another. There are countless things in our daily life that add to air pollution, including human flatulence every now and then (or should we stop eating beans?). The real issue remains that we should do what we can as inhabitants of this planet to preserve air quality within practical parameters. Putting aside the law for a moment, there’s no useful reason I can think of that justifies the use of test pipes in automobiles except on the track.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:59 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
You seem to be doing the same thing that VIP G did, i.e., pointing out one (or more in your case) bad thing to justify another. There are countless things in our daily life that add to air pollution, including human flatulence every now and then (or should we stop eating beans?). The real issue remains that we should do what we can as inhabitants of this planet to preserve air quality within practical parameters. Putting aside the law for a moment, there’s no useful reason I can think of that justifies the use of test pipes in automobiles except on the track.
You must be from the Nixon era to be speaking like that
People are too stubborn to realize the dangers going on right now, "Oh wow, the Earth's temperature is going up 1-2 degrees a year" well that's a lot and people DO NOT understand the extreme circumstances of such. Yet, the argument of test pipes has it's points, but I know for a fact there are more dangerous aspects out there that need to be addressed more than a simple modification to the exhaust. I mean if it was really that hazardous to the environment than I think they would ban it completely from tracking and/or off-road usage. Obviously, our lovely Governor is so "green friendly", I think he would have done something if test pipes and car modifcations were such a problem. Don't ya think?

There are things people could do to help out, like not throwing their cig butts out the window, or RECYCLING for once lol.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:19 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
You must be from the Nixon era to be speaking like that
People are too stubborn to realize the dangers going on right now, "Oh wow, the Earth's temperature is going up 1-2 degrees a year" well that's a lot and people DO NOT understand the extreme circumstances of such. Yet, the argument of test pipes has it's points, but I know for a fact there are more dangerous aspects out there that need to be addressed more than a simple modification to the exhaust. I mean if it was really that hazardous to the environment than I think they would ban it completely from tracking and/or off-road usage. Obviously, our lovely Governor is so "green friendly", I think he would have done something if test pipes and car modifcations were such a problem. Don't ya think?

There are things people could do to help out, like not throwing their cig butts out the window, or RECYCLING for once lol.
Well, when I was born FDR was President. My first vote was for JFK. But for that matter, I’m not really a tree hugger, nor do I get over-excited about global warming. I’m just an old PITA law and order man.

Now whereas I agree with you on some of your points, my problem is not understanding the mindset that trashes the public good for a stupid call to add more power to a car that already has 330hp and that can go 0-60 in 5.5 seconds with a rated top speed of 155mph in stock mode. Why the hell is it necessary to do better than that on public roads?

To me, installing test pipes personifies a distorted belief in screwing the other person, i.e., “I don’t care about noise or air pollution at all; I’m only interested in what’s good for me and the rest of you can go to hell.”

I wasn’t raised to think that way, nor have I taught it to my children. Am I that out of touch with today's youth?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 PM
SilverRSXJezus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, when I was born FDR was President. My first vote was for JFK. But for that matter, I’m not really a tree hugger, nor do I get over-excited about global warming. I’m just an old PITA law and order man.

Now whereas I agree with you on some of your points, my problem is not understanding the mindset that trashes the public good for a stupid call to add more power to a car that already has 330hp and that can go 0-60 in 5.5 seconds with a rated top speed of 155mph in stock mode. Why the hell is it necessary to do better than that on public roads?

To me, installing test pipes personifies a distorted belief in screwing the other person, i.e., “I don’t care about noise or air pollution at all; I’m only interested in what’s good for me and the rest of you can go to hell.”

I wasn’t raised to think that way, nor have I taught it to my children. Am I that out of touch with today's youth?

Yes.

Our generation has a sense of entitlement and a focus on ourselves, especially in the materialistic sense. Most of us are cruising along on our parent's wealth/affluence, letting us focus not on the dirt road, building up virtues and being humble up to success, but rather obtaining things for superficial needs.

That said, read my other post at the bottom of the previous page with regards to the car.

Also, one could say why anyone would need to accelerate any faster than mid 7 seconds from 0 to 60 mph? My RSX is arguably more fuel efficient, better emissions, and less of a carbon footprint than your car. Why didn't you go buy something like that?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:48 PM
TimsG37s

I agree with all of your points Chekov. Unfortunately; we live in a society today where most people only care about themselves and never take responsibility for any of their actions. It's always someone else's fault. Blame everyone else for anything they do. I wish it wasn't this way but I don't see it changing anytime soon.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Chekov, how much of polluting emissions did you cause on your last boat trip to the South Pole? Probably 10 times more than what my test pipes will do in 10 years haha

Everyone has his own way in wetting his pants.. to me, its the purry note of that exhaust and driving past 335s and Stangs lol

To each his own I guess..
Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 PM
TimsG37s

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Chekov, how much of polluting emissions did you cause on your last boat trip to the South Pole? Probably 10 times more than what my test pipes will do in 10 years haha

Everyone has his own way in wetting his pants.. to me, its the purry note of that exhaust and driving past 335s and Stangs lol

To each his own I guess..
The only difference is that the boat trip wasn't illegal.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:00 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

nor are test pipes in Dubai
Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
touche' Sam touche'
Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by SilverRSXJezus
Yes.

Our generation has a sense of entitlement and a focus on ourselves, especially in the materialistic sense. Most of us are cruising along on our parent's wealth/affluence, letting us focus not on the dirt road, building up virtues and being humble up to success, but rather obtaining things for superficial needs.

That said, read my other post at the bottom of the previous page with regards to the car.

Also, one could say why anyone would need to accelerate any faster than mid 7 seconds from 0 to 60 mph? My RSX is arguably more fuel efficient, better emissions, and less of a carbon footprint than your car. Why didn't you go buy something like that?
I agree with you on your generation having a sense of entitlement. But why should I buy a car that has less performance than my G37? My car meets all smog requirements and I’ve not added any illegal mods. So why would you suggest I purchase something I do not want? I enjoy nice cars and have so all my life. What’s the problem here?

Perhaps it’s because you still think I’m some sort of environmental zealot with green blood running through my veins. That is not the case. Read my last post closely and you’ll know where I’m coming from.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by G37Sam
None. We rowed by hand all the way. But I did spit up once the ocean after a vegetarian lunch.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:15 PM
SilverRSXJezus

I agree with you on your generation having a sense of entitlement. But why should I buy a car that has less performance than my G37? My car meets all smog requirements and I’ve not added any illegal mods. So why would you suggest I purchase something I do not want? I enjoy nice cars and have so all my life. What’s the problem here?

Perhaps it’s because you still think I’m some sort of environmental zealot with green blood running through my veins. That is not the case. Read my last post closely and you’ll know where I’m coming from.

Right, right. So I guess the issue is more of being a law abiding citizen rather an environmentalist . Even though those two concepts are not mutually exclusive, given current day standards of what it means to be truly "environmentally friendly" and "law abiding", being one does not necessarily imply the other
Old 04-14-2009, 10:17 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

None. We rowed by hand all the way. But I did spit up once the ocean after a vegetarian lunch.
haha you sure did!

Our Ship, the Minerva:

you'd need a whole country to row that ship! lol
Old 04-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ rofl that's funny.

Quick Reply: Test pipes???