Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

09 6mt clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:37 AM
See-Fu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 6mt clutch

Went to test drive a 09 6mt tonight. Is the clutch suppose to be really touchy when switching from 1->2 and 2->3? everytime i shifted the car would lunge forward
Old 04-04-2009, 01:49 AM
jdm_inspire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the clutch is different for the MY'09 vs MY'08. The clutch on the G is not linear ... it's heavy and you have to 'ride' it a bit (or know exactly where the sweet spot is for shifting 1 -> 2, 2 -> 3).

It took me the longest time to get used to it ... and if I'm not paying attention ... I still have some jerky shifts after owning this car for close to a year!!! (Maybe I'm not a good manual driver ... but this is a lot different than the Hondas I have driven in the past ...)
Old 04-04-2009, 02:47 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
That clutch is normal. It's just the way it is in this car. It's not too bad, but it's not great for a beginning or inexperienced 6MT driver. It ain't built for comfort. It's noisy too, that's normal as well.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:53 AM
heff

yup takes a bit to get used to if ur used to anything else lol took me a bit but in a week of drivin it becomes 2nd nature
Old 04-04-2009, 06:27 PM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by Black Betty
That clutch is normal. It's just the way it is in this car. It's not too bad, but it's not great for a beginning or inexperienced 6MT driver. It ain't built for comfort. It's noisy too, that's normal as well.
Can you elaborate on the "noise" our clutch makes? My car makes a few strange noises here and there during hard acceleration and high-rev shifts, and I never know if the noises are normal or if I should get it checked out. Since everyone complains that our clutches are loud, I just assumed it was normal.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
Can you elaborate on the "noise" our clutch makes? My car makes a few strange noises here and there during hard acceleration and high-rev shifts, and I never know if the noises are normal or if I should get it checked out. Since everyone complains that our clutches are loud, I just assumed it was normal.
Park in a garage with the engine running and set the brake. Roll down the window or better yet open your driver side door. Fully depress the clutch. Release. You'll hear the noise of the clutch engagement/disengagement that I'm talking about.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:28 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
the hydro clutch is different to get used to. i know people who ride the clutch and you hear the chatter from the throwout bearing a lot.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:01 PM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Wait till you get an aftermarket clutch on your G, that's really noisy
Old 04-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Bushtree

Yep, its part of owning a 6MT ;(
Old 04-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Teknics

hmmpp so should this make me back off from getting a 6mt.. or its just something bout every 6mt car do?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:48 PM
derickso

ugh.

If you are even debating it get the auto - the clutch/tranny are fine.. it's a 330 hp car, it aint gonna drive like a civic..

I just joined this forum and this is like the 10th thread about the clutch. I don't get it.. Yeah it's a little rough but again, 330hp is going to behave slightly different than 140 on the hondas you are used to driving.. You'll get used to the engagement point and the amount of gas you need to give for smooth shifts within a week.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:28 PM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
yep u'll def get used to it and I like it
Old 04-06-2009, 03:06 PM
SilverBullet

The G is the first car I have ever owned in a manual. I have driven manaul cars before and never had a problem. The first couple months of having the G, I was nervous as hell driving it, because the manual was different from what I have driven before. After getting used to the manual, I would trade it at all! My 1>2 shifts still get a jerky and sometimes my rev matches are off, but the manual in the G makes it much different from the auto imo. The way it feels and sounds just more exciting. When I test drove the auto, it felt pretty fast, but I thought it could be a bit more powerful. When getting into the manual, it just felt much more powerful because I had more control over gear shifts. Driving it daily is not much different to driving an auto to me. I have gotten used to the car and changing gears. It is very worth it to get the 6mt, it is very unlikely that you will regret it.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:15 PM
See-Fu

Originally Posted by derickso
If you are even debating it get the auto - the clutch/tranny are fine.. it's a 330 hp car, it aint gonna drive like a civic..

I just joined this forum and this is like the 10th thread about the clutch. I don't get it.. Yeah it's a little rough but again, 330hp is going to behave slightly different than 140 on the hondas you are used to driving.. You'll get used to the engagement point and the amount of gas you need to give for smooth shifts within a week.
I don't think its a HP issue. I've driven my buddies 03 M5 and its smooth as can be.

I was just curoius because I didn't know if this was a flaw in the G37 that infiniti had recalled or blah blah blah.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:44 PM
See-Fu

Can this touchy clutch be corrected w/ an aftermarket clutch?

Quick Reply: 09 6mt clutch