Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

09 6mt clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:06 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When the car is cold, the 1-2 shift is a little touchy, but once the car is warm it's all good.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:13 PM
See-Fu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's not the shifter that's the problem. I actually think the shifter is really good. its the clutch. i hate how about 1/2 way the clutch pops up which results in the car jerking forward
Old 04-08-2009, 03:16 PM
SilverBullet

Originally Posted by See-Fu
it's not the shifter that's the problem. I actually think the shifter is really good. its the clutch. i hate how about 1/2 way the clutch pops up which results in the car jerking forward
That happens to me too sometimes. When I shift, the clutch pedal just pops right up.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1-2 shifts are more rough than most cars I've driven. You get used to it though. It's not hard to shift smoothly from 1-2, you just have to learn how to do it properly. As for the clutch, the engagement point is pretty high IMO. I normally press down the clutch about half way and then shift. I used to press down fully in the beginning, but it's not needed.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:34 PM
SteveBKNY

just keep driving it.. it'll break in eventually.. gets better over time
Old 04-08-2009, 04:49 PM
WhiteGhost

Glad I'm not the only one with these concerns/questions. Wouldn't trade my manual for an automatic. Like someone commented earlier, it's just not the same.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 AM
CrazyZef

Coming from a TL Type S the clutch is really high, but I havent had a problem with jerking forward like others had said. But the cluth is very loud, but hey I love the car so take the good with the bad.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:39 AM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shift 1st, 3rd, 5th...... no worries
Old 04-12-2009, 12:04 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

^ i just start in 2nd, and go on from there.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:18 PM
adam

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Park in a garage with the engine running and set the brake. Roll down the window or better yet open your driver side door. Fully depress the clutch. Release. You'll hear the noise of the clutch engagement/disengagement that I'm talking about.
Thats just the bearing. Every car will make the noise some cars its just louder or quieter. On my friends 5speed maxima it was even louder then it is on the g.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by adam
Thats just the bearing. Every car will make the noise some cars its just louder or quieter. On my friends 5speed maxima it was even louder then it is on the g.
Yes, the topic's been discussed here numerous times since the car has been out, but I think it is likely the cause of the noise the OP is hearing.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:44 AM
adam

Yes, the topic's been discussed here numerous times since the car has been out, but I think it is likely the cause of the noise the OP is hearing.
Agreed.

Anyways those who are posting about the shifting not being smooth and the clutch making you push forwards and this and that....why not just shift without the clutch?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by adam
Agreed.

Anyways those who are posting about the shifting not being smooth and the clutch making you push forwards and this and that....why not just shift without the clutch?
The vast majority of drivers here are horrified by the very notion of this. Every time I've posted about it, I get a number of members telling me how I will wear my clutch out faster, damage my transmission, damage my synchros, etc.

When I first learned how to do it properly on my old car, I shifted that way almost exclusively. 200K+ miles on the same tranny, synchros, and clutch; so if it's caused anyone any damage they weren't doing it right. It's a completely different animal, but on big trucks the only time you ever clutch is starting off in 1st generally. It actually saves the transmission, but some people here can't be convinced of that.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:41 AM
adam

The vast majority of drivers here are horrified by the very notion of this. Every time I've posted about it, I get a number of members telling me how I will wear my clutch out faster, damage my transmission, damage my synchros, etc.

When I first learned how to do it properly on my old car, I shifted that way almost exclusively. 200K+ miles on the same tranny, synchros, and clutch; so if it's caused anyone any damage they weren't doing it right. It's a completely different animal, but on big trucks the only time you ever clutch is starting off in 1st generally. It actually saves the transmission, but some people here can't be convinced of that.
I can relate somewhat. I bought my first car when I was 16...1990 Twin turbo 300zx, I used to clutch and about a month later it went out. I learned to drive manual with it. I know I was riding it but not like at all and the previous owner told me that the clutch needed to be replaced. So I bought a new clutch and drove clutchless for the next two years. The car already had 120k and it was all fine. I guess I learned my lesson because my dad has been driving semi's for like 15 years now and he was always telling me not to use the clutch because he only uses it to start off. So I felt bad after burning the clutch plus he paid for the new one since I used all my money to buy the car. I decided to drive clutchless becuase if somethign broke I would just say "Hey your the pro and you told me not to use the clutch." I never had a problem and he also has never had a problem using clutchless. I tell all my friends about it and they all just tell me its a bunch of bs. Then I show them and they seem amazed.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:22 AM
alofoque

PITA when you first get it, takes a while to get used to it perfectly. Even after 11 months when I went on vacation for a week when I got back took a lil bit of driving to get the clutch again

Originally Posted by See-Fu
Went to test drive a 09 6mt tonight. Is the clutch suppose to be really touchy when switching from 1->2 and 2->3? everytime i shifted the car would lunge forward

Quick Reply: 09 6mt clutch