Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Companies Who Plan On Having A Supercharger For The G37

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:28 PM
nogoodname
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Pffffff, try waiting 4 years for a decent supercharger for the Hemi. Sorry, make that 5 years.

GTM started recently and will be done really soon... they are installing one on the Z and one on the G at the same time.

Also, Vortech dropped out on the SC line up. They didn't feel like making a SC that requires you to buy a new hood.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:38 PM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We actually made some announcements over at the 370z site. We are using a vortech unit and hood modifications are NOT necessary. I will post more tomorrow...at dinner now and my gf is getting mad at me for posting on my iPhone! Lol
Old 12-30-2009, 11:44 PM
nogoodname
Banned

ahh, here it is

Originally Posted by Stillen
Sorry for the delay guys...The guys from Smokin' tire video crew are here do an "About STILLEN" video for their website. Here is the info we are ready to release on the supercharger:

Well, the meeting went very well with the managers and I do have some information to give you guys!!!

We will be using a Vortech supercharger/blower for our kit. We have engineered a new intake manifold, intake tract, intercooler system, and more but the actual blower is a Vortech unit. We can’t say exactly what trim it is just yet because our experience in the past with Vortech has taught us that we might change it during final testing. When we made a kit for the older Maxima’s we actually went through a few different trims on the wheels before coming to a final design. We can confirm that it is a self contained oiling unit so there will be a lot of added benefits.

We will be using a water to air intercooler. With a custom designed intercooler.

There will be no hood change. Everything fits nicely under the hood.

We have engineered a cast aluminum intake manifold which is currently out at the casting houses right now getting prepared for production pieces to be started.

We have a very good relationship with a CARB testing lab that we will be working with in our efforts to achieve CARB certification. In order to achieve CARB certification we must send the test piece to the lab that is a 100% production kit. There can be no differences between the production piece and the kit that goes to CARB. All of our recent kits for the VQ35, VQ40 and VK56 went through CARB testing with no issues, but the testing is extensive and can take awhile.

The kit will come with a warranty.

We have begun production on a number of the pieces such as the mounting bracketry, the cast aluminum intake manifold, intercoolers, and more.

Currently we are working on the tuning and we hope to use a hand held tuner. Hand held tuners are clearly the leading edge of technology and we hope to incorporate that into this kit.

To this point we have invested well over $100,000.00 and more than a year in development. All in an effort to have the best forced induction solution possible. Our VQ35 supercharger kit and our VK56 supercharger kit each took over a year to develop. We spend a lot of time on the CAD drawings, prototyping, test fitting, engineering, tuning, and final drive testing. We refuse to rush any one of these crucial parts of the development process. We are very excited as anyone to bring the new supercharger to market. Our 25 years’ experience in developing new products has taught us that it is more important that it is right than right now.

It is too early to begin discussing group buy and to be honest, I don't know if we will do one. I might be able to get an introductory price but even then, I don't know.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:50 PM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Dam !!! I will wait and see how this will turn out! However I do remember G/Z SC kit being a Fail or dissapointement! In sure stillen will take previous experiences into consideration and make a better SC system and give GTM some competition... I do like the warranty though , don't care for CARB though at least since I'm in Florida. The hood was a turn off btw ! What was stillen thinking really? I agree it did sound beutiful though.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:38 AM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
See... that's a classy response. I don't know the history behind all this but I can spot a hater after reading his posts. I'd like to see this system progress forward before bashing it all to hell.
See that's just what I was talking with other forum members about. People come on here and just type alot and say it all "classy" without profanity and all of sudden they know what they're doing. Sorry I just don't give when I talk and I speak my mind straight out no filter and is to lazy to proofread over to see if I'm rude or not on some of my post so I apoligize ahead for that. Now see, you just claimed it yourself. YOU DONT KNOW THE HISTORY BEHIND ALL THIS, so now because he has a classy response I'm all of a sudden a hater and probably don't know what I'm talking about huh? Let me tell you something buddy, like I stated so many times, if you owned a g35 and a 350z in the past and been in the community and know the FI game, HANDS DOWN YOU WILL AGREE WITH ME ON THE STILLEN SC FOR THE VQ35DE. I swear I'm like a 1 man army in here sometimes teaching newbies what sup, god damnt. The STILLEN SC FOR THE VQ35DE failed for it's price and performance, there-fore my assumption for the g37 would be the same SO THERE-FORE I BASH. Now is that fair? Maybe, maybe not, I AM Basing off their old charger that they been having for years. And heck, if the HR Supercharger comes out, and IT IS A SUCCESS, Then I'll clap my hands, give a thumbs up and respectably give my props to Stillen myself and apoligize for the criticism on their R&D, but I WILL NOT Apoligize NOR change my mind and Stand next to my opinion on their past products, and that is their last supercharger is FAIL, it works YES! But why spend that much when you can get something for cheaper that will put out more power and be just as or even more reliable. I almost went Stillen once a few years ago but decided to went with a Vortech, upon installing it I changed my mind and returned it and got a Procharger, then after the Procharger I switched later down the road to a HKS Supercharger, then I blew my motor into oblivian after going against the recommended stage 0-2 for NA stock block and did a stage 4. So not only do I speak with experience from LEARNING from the community, but with MY OWN EXPERIENCE. I dont just come up with this hatred or information out of the blues, nor would I want to waste my time bashing on something if I know it's not worth it.

Note:
I drove a G with the Stillen SC, sat shotgun in one, played with it etc. My team member has one.
Raced against a stillen stg 3 g35 and I beat it with my g37 NA LOL. Mods: GTM Exhuast, Test Pipes, Status Elite Intakes! NO TUNE
Then a Vortech g35 installed and tuned by GTM blows past us leaving us in Dust LOLOLOL

Last edited by G37Rider92649; 12-31-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:58 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
I didn't know I was your buddy but then I'll be the first to point out I don't know much at all. Next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'll buy you a beer.

I appreciate your input but you come off rather rude towards someone that is attempting to better the G37. If you don't feel you need to hold back and you want to call someone out on the carpet then that's your business. But don't be offended or surprised if someone calls you out.

His "classy" response didn't make you a hater. You're initial post was a little too harsh.

Again, your information is much appreciated and sharing knowledge is what these sites should be all about.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:32 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
I won't be taking sides here but if you're going to walk into a thread and be harsh to a vendor's product AT LEAST provide some supporting info.

Kyle made it clear that his previous products were not intended to put down big numbers. Remember, they also had to be carb legal which imposed a lot of restriction there.

Their G37 SC design looks more promising in the numbers' dept, so let's hold our ponies now and see what comes up
Old 12-31-2009, 09:58 AM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
People are always so quick to judge or take sides without knowing all the necessary information. This is exactly why I always appreciate it when vendors chime in.

Kyle_ I read through this thread and don't recall seeing it. Any guesstimation on when your kit will be available for sale?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
17 posts deleted? That was unnecessary. G37Rider92649 may have been a little passionate in his posts but he had a lot of good information in there.

G37Rider92649, Kyle invited you to come see his facilities (it was in one of the 17 posts that were deleted). I would jump all over that if it is at all possible. I'm here because I like to modify cars. If a major respectable vender invites me over, I'm taking him up on it. I understand "major respectable vender" might be arguable in you mind, and you may be correct. But if nothing else, go there and look over the place for the rest of us and give us your opinion of the organization. I for one want to hear what you have to say.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:51 AM
BocaIvan

werrrrd! hit up Kyle, you have nothing to lose.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:23 AM
SOLISIMO

Holy Crap what did I miss in here? lol

So is Stillen like the Steeda of Mustangs for Nissan? Do you guys get like all the secret computer crap and stuff from nissan?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:21 PM
BOXER83

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sc

Originally Posted by kyle@stillen
First off, please do not take any of my posts as argumentative, I am simply trying to inform and educate. If you disagree with me on any topic I will do my best to answer as quickly as possible.

Not that it is important but I have actually been working at STILLEN for my entire life...My name is Kyle Millen, I am Steve Millen's son.

In terms of the performance of our previous supercharger for the 350Z and G35. You are 100% correct and 100% incorrect. That supercharger kit did everything we asked of it. It was never intended to be the most powerful forced induction solution on the market. We never once made that claim. We set out to produce a supercharger that offered great power across the entire power band, a supercharger kit that came pre-tuned ready to install with warranty and CARB legality. CARB legality and warranty were two of our biggest goals and we achieved both.

If someone wants to achieve a ton of power but they are willing to sacrifice warranty or legality, then there are most definitely other options and we encourage people to go the turbo route. But, for most people, who just want to give their car more power, maintain legality and maintain a warranty, our Stage 2 supercharger fit that bill perfectly.

Again, I do not want to be seen as argumentative though and this is where I will reinforce that you are 100% correct. The supercharger that we used could not push enough air for the people who wanted to push their cars harder or were prepared to build the motor to handle more boost. For those people who wanted more...Yes, turbo's were the best choice.

We actually began working on our supercharger using the red MOMO G37 sport a little over a year ago. Since then we have moved it to our silver and grey G37. For forced induction purposes it doesn't really matter if we use the G or the Z as just about everything will be the same. The only reason we haven't come out with the kit sooner is because the project had to be sidelined for a little while during the preparation of the GT R for the Targa Newfoundland rally. We had a deadline to finish the car before the race so we had to make some sacrifices on the timelines of other projects/products.

Generally I would say that this statement is correct however, the dual throttle body configuration of the VQ37 is complicating a lot of things. With that being said, I have no idea what our kit will cost when it is completed, I imagine it will be less expensive than the TT kits, but the dual throttle body design has required some creative thinking.

This statement could not be more true!!!

Before making any decisions on what form of forced induction you would like to choose you must first consider what your goals are for the car. Do you want to maintain legality? What are your horsepower expectations? Do you plan on upgrading sometime down the line? These are all things that need to be taken into consideration. I have talked with numerous customer's on both sides of the fence. Some people who bought our supercharger for the 350 and G35 and say, "man, I wish I went twin turbo and had a lot more power" and I've talked with twin turbo customer's who have said "you know, the TT is cool but, I've spent a ton of money and now my car's not even legal."

With all that being said...The Vortech supercharger that we are using on the VQ37 engine has a lot more potential than the supercharger that we used for the VQ35 engine. In my opinion, I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised.

I went ahead and double quoted these posts because they are right along the same lines of one another and I just want to clarify.

Intercoolers are the perfect example of "size doesn't matter." When you compare an air to water intercooler with an air to air intercooler you can not look at the intercooler out front of the car and think "Wow, that ones bigger so it must be better." There is a lot that goes into determining the correct size intercooler.

For starters, an air to water intercooler does not require a larger intercooler straight out front because you aren't running a large volume of air through it. An air to water intercooler system works just like the radiator/cooling system. The water/coolant starts in the radiator/heat exchanger out front, cycles through the hoses and into the intercooler which is actually inside the intake tract or inside the intake manifold. The air is blown through the radiator which heats up the water/coolant in the intercooler but cools down the air as it travels past. From there, the water travels back through a return hose to the heat exchanger/radiator at the front of the car, where it is cooled down and returned back to the intake tract.

An air to air intercooler is simpler than that.

The air gets blown through the turbo or supercharger where it is heated due to the compression and temperature of the FI unit then it flows through the intercooler. But, it does not go on the outside of the cooler, This is where you have to imagine that the air in an air to air system is like the water of the air to water system. So the air travels inside the intercooler as it gets cooled by the air on the outside...Then the air goes directly into the motor.

So as you can imagine, with an air to air intercooler system you must have a large intercooler so that you can get a large volume of air to pass through it efficiently and it has to be pretty big because it needs a larger surface area. However, you can go too large and too large of an intercooler can cause a pressure drop. With an air to water intercooler the air is not inside the intercooler system, it just passes through/over it. So just because you have a small heat exchanger mounted out front of the car, doesn't mean that you can't cool just as efficiently as a large front mounted air to air intercooler. If you start pushing too much air then yes, you will need to go to a larger heat exchanger out front in order to give the coolant sufficient time to cool before returning back to the intake/intercooler.

Take for example the Nissan GT R. The factory intercoolers, although quite small, are actually pretty efficient up until about 17 pounds of boost, then you are trying to stuff too much air into too small of system. So you have to go bigger at that point.

I hope that made sense, if I left anyone with more questions or if I confused anyone, please feel free to speak up.

EDIT:

I have a feeling I might have confused some people with my explanation so I'm going to make it as simple as I can imagine.

When you use an air to air intercooler, the air inside the intercooler goes into the engine...So in order to get enough air into the engine, you need a large intercooler so that it can handle a large volume of air.

When you use an air to water intercooler, the air follows a normal intake air path then gets blown over or through, but still outside, the intercooler.

Both methods have their positives and negatives, we prefer the air to water intercooler route for numerous reasons and other people prefer the air to air intercooler route for their reasons.
What type of power should we see from Stillen's SC?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like G37Sam already stated, unneccesary Vendor bashing is not tolerated here. This is not to say you can't have a discussion on the topic at hand, but please keep it civil and mature.....that is all we ask.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:28 PM
nogoodname
Banned

Originally Posted by G37Sam
I won't be taking sides here but if you're going to walk into a thread and be harsh to a vendor's product AT LEAST provide some supporting info.

Kyle made it clear that his previous products were not intended to put down big numbers. Remember, they also had to be carb legal which imposed a lot of restriction there.

Their G37 SC design looks more promising in the numbers' dept, so let's hold our ponies now and see what comes up
Stage 1,3,4 are not carb legal apparently. Only stage 2 is carb legal. It even says on their site.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:07 PM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by soolman32
People are always so quick to judge or take sides without knowing all the necessary information. This is exactly why I always appreciate it when vendors chime in.

Kyle_ I read through this thread and don't recall seeing it. Any guesstimation on when your kit will be available for sale?
We received some of the parts back from casting this week and next week they will be in the machine shop. We hope to begin tuning and road testing over the next month or so. As far as a release date, I don't know yet because there is a lot of testing that needs to be done first. Prior to sale we drive our test vehicle's through many different environments to see how they perform and to make sure there are no surprises. We need to test at elevation, through deserts, in traffic, and all of this is done after the supercharger is tuned on the dyno and finishes with the street tuning. So it can take a little while.

I would love to say watch for it in the first quarter of 2010, but I want to be realistic and say that the testing will show us when it will be available.

17 posts deleted? That was unnecessary. G37Rider92649 may have been a little passionate in his posts but he had a lot of good information in there.

G37Rider92649, Kyle invited you to come see his facilities (it was in one of the 17 posts that were deleted). I would jump all over that if it is at all possible. I'm here because I like to modify cars. If a major respectable vender invites me over, I'm taking him up on it. I understand "major respectable vender" might be arguable in you mind, and you may be correct. But if nothing else, go there and look over the place for the rest of us and give us your opinion of the organization. I for one want to hear what you have to say.
The invitation to come down and check out the facility is open to everyone! We are extremely proud of our business and the way we manufacture our parts and we enjoy showing other enthusiasts, like ourselves, around the facility and watching their reactions. We have some pretty cool stuff around here including race cars, project cars, R&D project vehicles, machine shop, fabrication shop, design studio for the body kits, urethane manufacturing....Overall our three buildings add up to a little over 100,000 square feet of manufacturing, testing, assembly, service, and distribution.

Originally Posted by SOLISIMO
Holy Crap what did I miss in here? lol

So is Stillen like the Steeda of Mustangs for Nissan? Do you guys get like all the secret computer crap and stuff from nissan?
We have a very close relationship with Nissan and we do get the opportunity to speak with very influential people within the NISSAN North America operations. It also helps that the main guy behind the Nissan GT R hand picked our founder and CEO, Steve Millen, as the media press release driver for the GT R due to his driving abilities. Steve Millen is in the office six days a week usually 10 hours a day. He drives all of our test vehicle's and is the only person who signs off on a new product. If it does not pass his inspection, it does not go to market.

Quick Reply: Companies Who Plan On Having A Supercharger For The G37