Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Ester Oil Information

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:04 PM
w0ady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just switched to motul 300v 5w-40 at 5000 miles. i plan on changing it every 5000 miles and will be sending it out for analysis by blackstone.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/2585032-post72.html

fyi - for those using mobil one, it is no longer a true synthetic.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:17 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by w0ady
i just switched to motul 300v 5w-40 at 5000 miles. i plan on changing it every 5000 miles and will be sending it out for analysis by blackstone.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/2585032-post72.html

fyi - for those using mobil one, it is no longer a true synthetic.
w0ady....did you change your oil yourself or take the Motul 300v to your dealership? Do you track your car? Do you think Motul 8100 is perfectly fine for more "daily driver" G coupes? Or would you just say 300v is where it's at and nothing less?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:10 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
300V is overkill for most. IMO.

A "normal" synthetic will be more than enough for the typical G driver (keeping in mind that the average G driver is more spirited than the norm).

I use 300V because I will do extended stints over 6000RPM on a regular basis.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Ahujadaddy

^^ tru that.

guys, also check out German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 and Penzoil Platinum 5w-30.
there was a HUGE thread on my350z and those two oils did great with our VQ engines. RP actually didnt do that well in the VQ.

I think Amisol was another top dog, but the castrol and penzoil are easily availible and a great deal when they come on sale. like $30 for 5qts WITH Mobil 1 or K&N filter.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:09 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Originally Posted by Mike
300V is overkill for most. IMO.

A "normal" synthetic will be more than enough for the typical G driver (keeping in mind that the average G driver is more spirited than the norm).

I use 300V because I will do extended stints over 6000RPM on a regular basis.
Thanks for the info/response. So would Mobil 1 synthetic be adequate if changed at the normal intervals? I've decided to have my dealership do my service and to provide my own oil (to provide proof of service whenever I should sell the G in the future). So, I'll probably stick to 3750-4000mi intervals with a synthetic

Originally Posted by Ahujadaddy
^^ tru that.

guys, also check out German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 and Penzoil Platinum 5w-30.
there was a HUGE thread on my350z and those two oils did great with our VQ engines. RP actually didnt do that well in the VQ.

I think Amisol was another top dog, but the castrol and penzoil are easily availible and a great deal when they come on sale. like $30 for 5qts WITH Mobil 1 or K&N filter.
Any info on how Mobil 1 fares with the VQ engine? I haven't heard too many complaints on here and it's so widely available.....makes it appealing. I'll have to look for the Pennzoil Platinum....another interesting thought.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Ahujadaddy

^^ not saying Mobil 1 is bad, not by any means. But not AS GOOD as the others we've listed here.

cant go wrong with RP or Mobil 1, but if u want the best then....
Penz Platinum is def a good value for price vs. performance and readily available
Old 04-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Ahujadaddy

* edit *

Last edited by Ahujadaddy; 04-03-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Mike

RP is a Group IV/V base stock oil.

Mobil1 is a Group III base stock oil.

So, in a sense, convential oil < synthetic oil Group I/II/III Base < Group IV/V Base.

Is Mobil1 bad? No. Is there better? Definately.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Mike

bump for good info
Old 04-13-2009, 09:31 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Great information here, thanks Mike. I ordered myself a 5 liter container of Motul 8100 from Forged just this evening.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 PM
RedG37SNC

I just got my order of 12qts from Renewable Lubricants. It's biodegradable for you green peace folks and grown in the USA.. no terrorist funding required Check out the site.

HIGH PERFORMANCE BENEFITS OF STABILIZED HOBS FORMULATIONS:
  • Excellent oxidation stability
  • Hydrolysis protection

• Superior viscosity stability
  • Superior low volatility performance

• Excellent mechanical shear stability
  • Superior low foam tendency

• Superior extreme pressure performance
  • Tested by the USDA as Biobased

• Improved biodegradability over mineral oil formulas
This biobased lubricant is formulated to exceed the Original Equipment Manufactures (OEM) requirements for new

vehicles, but vehicles with higher mileage and equipment with high hours need a different lubricant that improves
performance in these out of warranty machines. As the engine wears the lubrication film needs to be improved and
the additive technology should also be increased to prevent wear and condition the seals for longer life. Unlike
conventional motor oils, this biobased formula has special additives and additional booster additives that help improve engine life.
(Lubricity Enhanced)

Since 1993, RLIs unique, first of their kind, Bio-Super High Performance Motor Oils have proven exceptional
performance in the racing world, and they are the lubricants of choice for top performing world and national
champions. These high performance racing oils have exceeded the performance of conventional petroleum based
products and have shown performance equal to and better than synthetic formulas. Excellent performance has also
been experienced from the heavy loads (3000 HP @ >9000 RPM) of IHRA Seven Time World Champion alcohol
fueled dragster to the high-temperature, long-term endurance, championship, road racing. These specially formulated racing oils have been designed and tested to run in extreme conditions that would be expected with the motor sport, high performance engines.

This High Performance Lubricant is formulated using the most advanced and newest API SM approved additives.
While no formal engine oil license performance is implied or guaranteed in this formulation, the key physical
properties as defined by SAE J300 are met. This biobased formulation is inherently biodegradable and is designed to
reduce emissions over conventional formulas.

<TABLE border=0 width="94%" bgColor=#ffff00 height=944><TBODY><TR><TD height=940 width="100%"><TABLE border=0 width="100%" height=703><TBODY><TR><TD height=118 vAlign=top width="71%"><?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>High Performance Benefits Using Stabilized HOBS:
Excellent Oxidation Stability<O:P> </O:P>
Independent standardized bench tests and field studies have shown that the Stabilized HOBS will perform as good as or better than mineral and synthetic base stocks. This patented Stabilized technology allows the HOBS to perform as a high performance formula in high-temperature applications, reducing oil thickening and deposits.
Superior Viscosity Stability<O:P> </O:P>
Stabilized HOBS produces a super high Viscosity Index (VI) that is higher than conventional mineral and most synthetic based stocks (avg. 220 VI compared to mineral oil at avg. 100 VI). This means the HOBS will have less thermal shear (viscosity breakdown) at high temperature and improved oil pressure.
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: solid; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #009658; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: solid; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #009658; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: solid; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #009658; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: solid; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #009658" height=85 vAlign=top width="29%">
STABILIZED by Renewable Lubricants * is RLI’s trademark on their proprietary and patented anti-oxidant, anti-wear, and cold flow technology. High Oleic Base Stock (HOBS) are agricultural vegetable oils. This Stabilized technology allows the HOBS to perform as a high performance formula in high and low temperature applications, reducing oil thickening and deposits.

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=118 vAlign=top width="100%" colSpan=2>Excellent Mechanical Shear Stability<O:P> </O:P>
Stabilized HOBS also has excellent mechanical shear stability that allows the engine to run for longer intervals at higher RPM with greater fluid protection. This Mechanical Shear Stability and Superior Viscosity Stability combination will provide more power output with reduced blow-by in the ring and cylinder area. In conventional engines, this could transfer into increase fuel economy and/or reduced emissions.
Superior Extreme Pressure Performance<O:P> </O:P>
Stabilized HOBS produces an oily, polar effect on the metal surface that enhances pressure absorption at lower temperatures, improving lubricity, and reducing start up friction. The natural oiliness of the base oil is enhanced with the best Extreme Pressure chemistry to produce optimum anti-wear and extreme pressure performance, providing excellent engine durability. Independent, standardized, bench studies have shown that this technology has more than doubled the extreme pressure performance over conventional motor oil formulas.
Superior Low Volatility Performance<O:P> </O:P>
According to NOACK (International Standardized test for Volatility), the HOBSs have significantly less volatility over solvent refined petroleum (HOBS <1% compared with petroleum >15%). This means the Stabilized HOBS lubricant will perform at higher temperatures with less evaporation than mineral and synthetic based stocks. This reduces oil consumption and volatile oil pre-detonation in top cylinder areas.
Superior Low Foam Tendency<O:P> </O:P>
According to ASTM D-892 sequence I, II, III and ASTM D-6082 High-temp foam tests, the Stabilized HOBS have performed with zero foam and when formulated into the formulation, have performed better than comparative petroleum and synthetic based stocks. This will allow the HOBS to perform better in high performance, oil pump systems under high volume and/or pressure. Less foam means a better lubricating fluid film and steady oil pressure during extensive operation.
Superior Flash and Fire Safety<O:P> </O:P>
No matter how professional the racing program, accidents and catastrophic failure can happen. Reports have already come back on the safety features of HOBS formulas showing reduction of oil fire incidents combined with the explosiveness of fuels. The high flash of over 600<SUP>0</SUP>F (COC 320<SUP>0</SUP>C) can be an exceptional benefit during serious catastrophic failure due to problems from fuel systems and timing malfunctions, creating engine explosion and/or hot oil fires.
Improved Biodegradability over Mineral Oil Formulas<O:P> </O:P>
These are environmentally responsible, high performance, racing oils that are formulated from agricultural renewable resources. We believe Earth’s environmental future rests in the use of renewable materials.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old 04-14-2009, 04:46 AM
ifinity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Who is this Ester, and why should we care?

from https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ester-oil.html

01-19-2009, 12:21 PM #124
JZ39
I just spoke with my friend who is the GTR mechanic at the dealership and who just finsihed training on the 3.7L engine for the new Z:
He said that they specifically told them that the engines had to use this ester oil.
My friend made it a point to notify the sales people etc. of this (because none of them knew this) since oil changes are going to be quite a bit more expensive than people are expecting for the Z's.
01-21-2009, 02:04 AM #125
ifinity
on pg 9-3 of the 2009 owners manual, Recommended specifications for oil, see new note:
"*11: NISSAN recommends Genuine NISSAN Ester Engine Oil available at your NISSAN dealer."
Does recommended mean "must use"?
Is not using Ester, whoever she is, going to violate the warranty?
Would one hard load on the engine cause permanent damage without this oil?
I would like to see someone from Infiniti reply to this issue.
Otherwise, if they claim there is no warranty violation issue for using plain 5-30W, better sell the vehicle before the warranty expires, just in case Ester really is required to make the engine function properly.
Infiniti needs to clarify their recommendation, for instance, "your engine life will only last until the warranty expires unless you use our Ester...Ester will give your engine another 10K miles before blowing".

The dealer may say to change oil every 7500 miles if you are doing light or mostly freeway driving (schedule 2)? Otherwise, I would stick to the 3750 mile schedule 1, as most of us are pushing the car whenever the chance appears.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:33 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been using Castrol Syntec in every vehicle I've had so far and they've done just fine. As long as it has the "API" symbol and meets the required Service Code (I think we're up tp SJ now?) it will be fine. As long as you change it when it's supposed to be changed, the engine will last just as long as it would if using a different oil. However, if you frequently change oil brands that can shorten engine life, but it won't be noticeable. Different brands use different detergents which can have chemical reactions inside your engine. Oil and engine life tests are never 100% proof of anything. Even if the same 2 cars are run the same oil in the same controlled test, the outcome will never be exactly the same because not every engine is 100% identical. There are always differences even if it's at the 1/1000th of an inch scale. Driving style/habits plays more of a part in engine life than oil brand. You put your foot into it all the time, and of course you're going to shorten engine life. Do a lot of highway driving and keep the lead foot controlled, you'll get rid of the car before the engine dies. It's all relative and subjective.

These are not race cars! Change your oil and filter when it's scheduled, stick to the same brand/kind of oil, perform any scheduled maintenance when it's suppose to happen, and your engine will be just fine.

Last edited by BradManUWF; 04-14-2009 at 05:45 AM.