Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Ester Oil Information

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Mayu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switched to Motul 300V at 12K miles.

Engine is smoother and revs harder.

The only downside I have noticed so far is the price. But I feel better knowing it is in there. Never going back.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Michelangelo

I'm learning a lot about different sorts of engine oil...what choices do you get when you take the G to the dealer to get the oil changed? Is it "regular or ester," or is there more of a range? If I ask for "Motul 300V" will they have it or is it all Nissan oil?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Oggie

What about Royal Purple? How does this one compare to Motul, Amsoil, etc?

Last edited by Oggie; 04-02-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 PM
G37nS2K

i use royal purple synthetic 10W 30 for my S2000, and i change it every 2500 miles, all the work is done by me. they are $10/quart, and i use just one quart to flush it out everytime..... so $60 + $8(OEM honda oil filter) = $68

for the G, i use quick oil change service that every gas station offers... $25 will do the job,,, and im soooooooooooooo careless
Old 04-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
RP is a Group IV/V synthetic, and could work well.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:48 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by G37nS2K
i use royal purple synthetic 10W 30 for my S2000, and i change it every 2500 miles, all the work is done by me. they are $10/quart, and i use just one quart to flush it out everytime..... so $60 + $8(OEM honda oil filter) = $68

for the G, i use quick oil change service that every gas station offers... $25 will do the job,,, and im soooooooooooooo careless
yeah we get it...you don't care much for the G captain obvious...lol
Old 04-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Mayu

Originally Posted by Michelangelo
I'm learning a lot about different sorts of engine oil...what choices do you get when you take the G to the dealer to get the oil changed? Is it "regular or ester," or is there more of a range? If I ask for "Motul 300V" will they have it or is it all Nissan oil?

My dealer has Mobil1 as their Ester oil - this is a mineral oil with ester added to it - not the same as an oil MADE from Ester. Costs about $140 (CAD) for the oil change. No they do not supply oils such as Motul 300V - which is made from "Complex Ester" - not a chemist - no idea if it works. However, reviews I have read and my own personal experience say, it is the best oil I have ever driven with.

Some delaerships/garages may have the Motul 8100 series. 300V is a very 'specialized' oil and not 'carried' at service stations. It does not come in drums - only 2 liter jugs (that I know of).

My dealership does allow customers to bring their own oil - but they do not provide a discount. You will pay the same as if you got a mineral oil change.

Stick to "100%" Synthetic over "Full" Synthetic and you are ahead of the game.

I placed a fairly long post on this subject here but got flamed for my opinions by one guy - the rest of of the folks found it useful.

Take a look if you are interested...

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...-change-2.html
Old 04-02-2009, 12:36 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok....so how about the more experienced users give us a small list of "better than conventional 5w30 dealer service center" oils so that us newbies (and my G is a daily driver and has been driven hard a few times during spirited driving) can buy and use or take in for our next oil change? So far I've seen:

Motul 8100, 300v
Royal Purple
Mobil One
Nissan Ester Oil

Any others? Will most dealerships use oil you bring yourself? I just want my engine to have the best protection. Also, can I bring in a different oil filter than Nissan OEM? Or will that void a warranty?

Last edited by KnoxvilleG37; 04-02-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: forgot another question.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:47 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

I'd like to know how often to change the oil too. Mike, if i'm using the same Motul oil as you, is it possible to change it every 5k miles rather than every 3k? That would make the price offset more easier for me.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
Ok....so how about the more experienced users give us a small list of "better than conventional 5w30 dealer service center" oils so that us newbies (and my G is a daily driver and has been driven hard a few times during spirited driving) can buy and use or take in for our next oil change? So far I've seen:

Motul 8100, 300v
Royal Purple
Mobil One
Nissan Ester Oil

Any others? Will most dealerships use oil you bring yourself? I just want my engine to have the best protection. Also, can I bring in a different oil filter than Nissan OEM? Or will that void a warranty?
Any oil that meets Nissan's Spec will be okay. Meaning, any 5W30 that meets the latest API standard is a valid oil.

Any Synthetic is better than a non-synthetic for oil shear-resistance.

A PAO or Ester based synthetic will be superior to a oil based synthetic.

Other than that, you can't really clearly say one brand is better than another unless the formulation is different.

Generally, most dealers will allow you to bring your own oil. Filters, you can also bring, given that it fits. However, not all dealers will credit your service for bringing your own oil.

Also, keep in mind that these specialized oils are harder to find. RP is fairly common, but Amsoil, Redline, and Motul ester oils generally have to be special ordered unless you have a performance shop nearby that stocks it.

Motul 300V comes in 2qt metal cans, or 55 gallon drums.

Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
I'd like to know how often to change the oil too. Mike, if i'm using the same Motul oil as you, is it possible to change it every 5k miles rather than every 3k? That would make the price offset more easier for me.
Oil change interval is different for everyone and different engines (even the same model!)

The ONLY way to accurately determine your interval is to have oil analysis done. You'll want to pay for the TBN test, which determines how much life your oil actually has left.

Different people have different driving habits and conditions, and each engine is unique in how it wears.

3000 is generally a safe interval. I change my intervals based on how I drove that month, but I give myself a pretty good margin; most of my tests come back with the oil having significant life left.

I do know people that use Amsoil that change their oil every 25k. (they do change filters halfway through though). These guys never UOA though... so I'm a little skeptical. I definately wouldn't do that with any spirited and city driving.

On a side note, the Subaru WRC uses 300V 20W50 straight from the can...
Old 04-02-2009, 03:30 PM
KnoxvilleG37

^^^ Mike, thank you for a very professional and informative answer. I might contact my dealer and see if I can bring in a 5-liter jug of Motul at my next service and make sure they'll credit my service. Thanks again man!

EDIT: I just called my local dealership, and I was told that I can bring my own Motul or other API approved 5w30 oil and will just be charged for labor for the oil change. Harper Infiniti of Knoxville, TN ROCKS! (sorry for the quick shout-out). LOL.

Last edited by KnoxvilleG37; 04-02-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-02-2009, 04:41 PM
n_jay888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
^^^ Mike, thank you for a very professional and informative answer. I might contact my dealer and see if I can bring in a 5-liter jug of Motul at my next service and make sure they'll credit my service. Thanks again man!

EDIT: I just called my local dealership, and I was told that I can bring my own Motul or other API approved 5w30 oil and will just be charged for labor for the oil change. Harper Infiniti of Knoxville, TN ROCKS! (sorry for the quick shout-out). LOL.
Knox how much is the 5-liter jug of Motul compared to the dealers synthetic oil which is $99?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:02 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Originally Posted by n_jay888
Knox how much is the 5-liter jug of Motul compared to the dealers synthetic oil which is $99?
Just did a quick internet search. Found this link for Motul 8100 5-Liter:
http://shop.edoperformance.com/motul...30-p-9809.html

My shop told me labor would be ~$40. So it LOOKS like it would come out about the same after shipping the oil and paying for labor...so I'm actually fine with that considering everyone is saying Motul is the stuff to have (likely much better than the Nissan Ester oil). I don't know that I drive hard enough to warrant the 300v (since I don't track my car....yet.)

Does this look right to everyone else?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:33 PM
n_jay888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So there's not much difference. Hmm...
Old 04-02-2009, 07:01 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
performance nissan of duarte and west covina nissan sells these at $40 as well. forum Z and G owners get a forum member discount on all partd and items

Quick Reply: Ester Oil Information