Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

What is this....the 5th CEL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is this....the 5th CEL?

So I haven't really mentioned it much, but my G is plagued by this reoccuring CEL for an Evaporative Fuel Leak. The car has been in there 4 times now for this, and all they tell me it make sure to click your gas cap a couple time.

I F-IN KNOW TO MAKE SURE THE GAS CAP IS TIGHT!!!!!

They think this is my first time or something. I've told the dealerships repeatedly that I know to tighten the gas cap. The last time they gave me a new gas cap. The last time my car was in for this problem was Tuesday, so I'm driving back to OC yesterday, and look down to my cluster, and see the F-in CEL on again.

So I'm taking the car in again today, but I'm calling Infiniti Customer Service first. It's such and insignificant problem, but the fact that they can't fix it has me so far as to contemplating calling a Lemon Law Lawyer.

Some one had posted that this problem could be caused by another part failing inside the gas tank, some type of sensor burns out or something from getting less than 91 Octane, which I think when gas was around 4.90 a gallon out here, I may have pumped a lower octane a few times.

Anyone know what I'm refering to?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I doubt running a lower octane a few times would do that man. Do they check the Oxygen sensors when you take it in? You might have a faulty sensor or something Or maybe it's something to do with your fuel delivery system. Maybe the fuel level sensor or fuel pump

I'm just throwin some possibilities out there bro.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Thanks, another issue that may be related is lately when I fill up the pump clicks off as if it were full, but my gauge reads differently. This has happened at different gas stations too. I think Kenny may have been the one who mentioned something similar happening to a car at his dealership. From what I remember whomever it was saying, theres something in the tank, a sensor that can fry from putting in a lower octane and will throw a CEL for evap. fuel leak. But I can't find it anywhere.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:07 PM
G_Thang

Running lower octane fuel wont do that. Running low octane fuel causes engine knock. As long as the motor wasnt knocking the only damage sustained should be that of lower fuel economy. These engines more than likely have knock sensors installed and the ECM retards timing to bring combustion temps and pressures down, thereby eliminating damage to knock.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Well to get away from the Octane problem. For the last 8 months, just over i think August last year I pumped lower octance, but for the last 8 months I've been pumping premium again. So any remnance of lower octane has definitely been out of the tank for sometime now. And I don't have any type of knock.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Originally Posted by Graham
Thanks, another issue that may be related is lately when I fill up the pump clicks off as if it were full, but my gauge reads differently. This has happened at different gas stations too. I think Kenny may have been the one who mentioned something similar happening to a car at his dealership. From what I remember whomever it was saying, theres something in the tank, a sensor that can fry from putting in a lower octane and will throw a CEL for evap. fuel leak. But I can't find it anywhere.
It honestly sounds like you have some sensor in your fuel tank messed up man. At least that's what it sounds like to me. Might be your pressure sensor in the tank, because that is what senses how much pressure is built up in there when filling up. Usually once it reaches a certain amount of pressure, it clicks the pump off to prevent from over-filling the tank.

Maybe tell them to replace the fuel tank and fuel delivery system.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:27 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
i'm gonna assume you don't have any aftermarket parts? your car is basically stock?

Trending Topics

Old 03-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Graham
Premier Member

since the tanabe came off, only mod i have is window tint. Will that void my engine warranty?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:44 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

yeah that could possible, the darker tint allows the ambient temperature to be sustained when ultra violet rays hit your car during a hot summer. the engine will then respond by increasing it's temperature causing a CEL.

lemon law that biatch! 5th time... that's a bit much for a CEL to keep popping up
Old 03-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Well I've contacted a lawyer for an evaluation we'll see what they say.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Good luck man!
Old 03-12-2009, 02:12 PM
jnguyen

told u about using the car gas hole as your happy place graham and this is the consequence of not listening. jk

man i never heard of this problem
Old 03-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Originally Posted by jnguyen
told u about using the car gas hole as your happy place graham and this is the consequence of not listening. jk

man i never heard of this problem
I have no clue what that means?
Old 03-12-2009, 02:46 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by aliiin
yeah that could possible, the darker tint allows the ambient temperature to be sustained when ultra violet rays hit your car during a hot summer. the engine will then respond by increasing it's temperature causing a CEL.

lemon law that biatch! 5th time... that's a bit much for a CEL to keep popping up
Obviously, we have someone in here well educated in the science of thermodynamics.

Good luck with everything Graham.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:15 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

myk1013, i hope you know i was being sarcastic... lol

Quick Reply: What is this....the 5th CEL?