Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 transmission concerns

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:31 PM
d999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could someone post a link or the actual TSB number? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:34 PM
brynomon

look at my newer thread dedicated to this
Old 09-20-2009, 06:28 PM
calvin_hobbes

"I found the G37 relatively slow to accelerate as if the car has to overcome some kind of resistance when I push on the accelerator."

That's the traction control kicking in. Otherwise your rear wheels would just spin since so much power is going to the wheels. To make sure this is actually what you are experiencing, try turning off the traction control by pressing the VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) switch, which is to the left of the steering wheel and then start from standstill (make sure you turn it back on after the experience).
>>>

Can I leave VDC off on dry sunny days? Why would i need traction control on those days?
Old 09-20-2009, 06:48 PM
calvin_hobbes

Originally Posted by Mike
Give DS a try when you're feeling spirited
Is DS different from Manual?
I cant get from M to DS. I have to go back to D first.
Does that sound correct?

Who is driving the VDC turned off?
Old 09-20-2009, 07:12 PM
calvin_hobbes

Originally Posted by Herkypilot
I happen to like the 7 AT and what you are talking about with the shift pattern is adjustable with flash programming. Nobody has complained about 6th & 7th going down the highway.

I also happen to like the 30 MPG I get on the highway instead of the 20 MPG I've been reading that the 5 AT gets!
how are you getting 30MPG highway???
What speed. ONLY hwy driving?

I got premium gas, jumped strait on the hwy and only get 24 tops. Not aggressive driving.

My car is under 1000K miles
Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 AM
KLB

Is DS different from Manual? Yes
Does that sound correct? Yes

Who is driving the VDC turned off? Not me.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi Alt G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car - 2009 G37 X
Build date - 03/09
Current mileage - 250

I just went out to see if I could replicate the 4th 3rd shift issue as reported here. I tried three different scenarios; flat road, slightly uphill and slightly downhill. I did each one 3 times cruising at 30 mph, removing foot from acellerator and coasting to 20 mph. I could feel the down shift every time. But, IMHO it was very gentle, mild or whatever adjective one would use to describe something opposite of the issue noted in the thread.

When I picked up the car I asked the service writer about the TCM flash and he said, "Since it is new I believe it has been reflashed." However, judging by the look on his face when I posed the question, the 20 miles on the odometer and the build date of the car, I doubt that was the case.

In any event, I am very please with the performance of the 7 spd AT in my car; both up-shifting and down-shifting.

BTW, yes the wipers are not very good.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
"I found the G37 relatively slow to accelerate as if the car has to overcome some kind of resistance when I push on the accelerator."

That's the traction control kicking in. Otherwise your rear wheels would just spin since so much power is going to the wheels. To make sure this is actually what you are experiencing, try turning off the traction control by pressing the VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) switch, which is to the left of the steering wheel and then start from standstill (make sure you turn it back on after the experience).
>>>

Can I leave VDC off on dry sunny days? Why would i need traction control on those days?
You answered your own question. It's easy to lose traction/control even on a dry sunny day.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Herkypilot

Mileage after the flash

I have really had no change in mileage after the flash. 11,500 miles on the odo. I still routinely get an average of 25 to 27 mpg. I have found a difference in what type of gas I buy relating to mpg. I have found that Shell premium without the 10% ethanol seems to give me the best mileage. I drive about 85% hwy and will get high 26 to 27 mpg / mobile 1 5w30 oil for the last 3k miles.

The best mileage I was able to get was 30 mpg which was pre-TCM with about 2,000 miles on the car on a long hwy trip. I don't think I've been able to duplicate that since. I like cruise control and use it as much as I can - usually keep the speed down to about 5 mph over.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:44 PM
G35Rhino

I was able to get 29 mpg on mine 100% interstate driving at 68 avg. mph with ~4k miles (pre-flash). Have made the identical 3 hour trip 3 times after the flash and the best I've been able to get is 27.5 mpg. Not too bad (better than advertsed) but I would have thought mileage would improve as the car loosened up not gotten worse. I blame the flash for that....and global warming among other things (joking).
Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Radius

Originally Posted by KLB
Is DS different from Manual? Yes
Does that sound correct? Yes

Who is driving the VDC turned off? Not me.
VDC turned off 99% of the time for me unless there is inclement weather. If it is on and you are driving on any surface that has slip (sand, gravel, snow, etc.) the engine bogs and you won't accelerate for a second or two. Not so good if you are pulling out into oncoming traffic. Also, I prefer to light up the rears for a split second and then hear the fronts chirp for traction...but I might not be a normal kinda guy.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:54 PM
bmcdaniels

I don't see the thread... Where is the TSB?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Radius

Don't have time to do your homework but try this to start:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...downshift.html
Old 09-21-2009, 10:20 PM
bmcdaniels

Thanks for the info, not for the attitude...
Old 09-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Radius

Hey, just trying to help. No attitude intended...

Hope you find the info you need and get the reflash soon. Btw, the reflash works great in D or DS but has no affect if you are in DS manual. Exactly how it should be imho.

Quick Reply: G37 transmission concerns