Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 transmission concerns

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My first new car purchase was a 1970 240Z which was the first of five Z’s. Any Group Z guys out there? :-) So, I'm both old and a long time very happy Nissan customer.

I have a G37 Sedan premium nav 7AT reserved "in transit" while I’m reading and waiting. I have not yet committed to the purchase of the car. I think reading posts like this one have more influence on me (and other potential buyers) than special financing or a primetime commercial. Especially if a follow-up post confirms the problem has been solved by Infiniti. In my opinion, no car is perfect, how the manufacturer handles problems is what makes the difference. I hope Infiniti will correct this issue. I'm sure some will say it is small, but, a pimple on a really hot chick is noticed more than a wart on a witch. :-)
Old 06-17-2009, 01:00 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginger
People, stop complaining. You bought a Sports Sedan, you should have test driven it before you bought it and if you did, it did the same thing then. You shouldn't expect its characteristics to change with age and miles too much. I have over 20k miles on my '09 and it doesn't go away. It's just the car letting you know what's going on, like all sports oriented cars should. Pretty good from an auto box in my opinion.
I agree. I find it mildly irritating that people keep saying "problem" and "when will it be fixed" when it's really at most an enhancement that Infiniti MAY need to make to the shift logic which will undoubtly annoy others (or the same people) when they notice different characteristics. Technology is both a blessing and a curse.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:15 AM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
I agree. I find it mildly irritating that people keep saying "problem" and "when will it be fixed" when it's really at most an enhancement that Infiniti MAY need to make to the shift logic which will undoubtly annoy others (or the same people) when they notice different characteristics. Technology is both a blessing and a curse.
+1 on that. I have very seldom ever felt this, and when I have it was far from dangerous. In fact I would not have even taken notice except for the messages on this Forum. I hope people don't pass on this car because of these posts. As has been stated before, take it out and try it. I drove my car before I bought it, and never noticed any problem. Now I have absolutely no regrets on the purchase. In fact I love this car more every day.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:37 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KLB
+1 on that. I have very seldom ever felt this, and when I have it was far from dangerous. In fact I would not have even taken notice except for the messages on this Forum. I hope people don't pass on this car because of these posts. As has been stated before, take it out and try it. I drove my car before I bought it, and never noticed any problem. Now I have absolutely no regrets on the purchase. In fact I love this car more every day.
Agreed and well put. I too notice it once in a while, and I gotta be honest, I drive this car without any worries -- plus, it's under warranty and if truly is going to become a problem, Infiniti will have to address it.

I totally understand where people are coming from with their frustrations with a transmission that is not 100% smooth under all operating conditions. I had three trannies fail in my 2k2 Acura TL-S and finally Acura figured it out and extended the tranny warranty on hundreds of thousands of cars (including Honda vehicles) to 7 years, 100k miles.

The shift logic needs an update, and the fix will no doubtedly (IMHO) come as a software upgrade in the future.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:51 PM
ChiDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too had been reading this thread over the past two months while I waited for my G37 to be delivered from Japan. I was starting to question my decision to buy the car, but felt the warranty would cover any problem, like Peter had just posted. I picked it up on Friday and have to say that I don't notice any of the problems that have been discussed. I doubt that it already has the new software installed because the build date on the door frame says April 09, but you never know. Anyway, I certainly didn't let the problems change my decision and I'm glad I didn't. Happy customer so far.

G37xS Sedan, Navi, Prem, Sport, 7AT
Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 AM
hoyalawya

Originally Posted by Ginger
People, stop complaining. You bought a Sports Sedan, you should have test driven it before you bought it and if you did, it did the same thing then. You shouldn't expect its characteristics to change with age and miles too much. I have over 20k miles on my '09 and it doesn't go away. It's just the car letting you know what's going on, like all sports oriented cars should. Pretty good from an auto box in my opinion.
I don't think that the majority of the posters in this thread test drove the car in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:06 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hoyalawya
I don't think that the majority of the posters in this thread test drove the car in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 AM
KLB

Why is that? I know I do. I drive into Downtown Chicago from NW Indiana four days a week, so I se plenty of heavy traffic.

The differences are most likely differences in perception or differences in the way the transmissions react.

If my car had done what some people describe in this thread, I would have noticed that when I test drove it and would have questioned it with the salesman in the car. I drove the exact car I ended up buying.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Ginger

You're probably right. They probably thought that since they were testing a 'sports' car they should get in and drive the hell out of it forgetting that most of the time on public highways it is only possible to drive at the speed of the traffic. It's still peoples expectation that has let them down, not the car.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:58 PM
PeterUbers

Folks -- apparently there is a new TSB just out that addresses the aforementioned tranny concerns (shifting, engine braking effect, etc) Please see "...7AT owners" thread in this forum for TSB #
Old 06-29-2009, 12:59 PM
brynomon

All,

On Friday I sent my car in for the 3000 mile maintenance.

Last thursday Fields Infiniti called as promised about the update. They performed the update and I'm picking up my car today. It is in fact out and the TSB information elsewhere on this site was accurate.

I will let everyone know how the tranny feels now.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome...please keep us posted with impressions tonight.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:59 PM
PeterUbers

Originally Posted by brynomon
All,

On Friday I sent my car in for the 3000 mile maintenance.

Last thursday Fields Infiniti called as promised about the update. They performed the update and I'm picking up my car today. It is in fact out and the TSB information elsewhere on this site was accurate.

I will let everyone know how the tranny feels now.
brynomon---

thanks for your contributions -- please do let us know how the new tranny update feels -- critical info for hundreds of people on this board! thanks
Old 06-29-2009, 08:17 PM
brynomon

Everyone,

I just drove my car back from the dealer... This sucks! See I get used to something not working as expected and now I have to do the same again. WHY? ITS @#$%@#$ FIXED!!!!

I am absolutely amazed at the difference. According to the rep that was at the dealer when I was there they had significant difficulties testing and resolving because of the VAST amount of Infiniti's affected by this 4th gear to 3rd gear downshift issue. It stetches across different product lines and so many customers were thinking that it was a 3rd ->2n'd down shift issue.

They gave me a copy of the official TSB page. I will be posting a new thread with all of the information and correct subject. My car now drives correctly. No noticable downshifts, smoother upshifts when quickly accelerating after a downshift... bla bla bla... My car... WOW! On a serious note... I really did have a hard time adjusting to no engine braking etc...

Thank you Infiniti and great job!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:26 PM
ry317

That is great news, thanks for posting. I will bring mine in Thursday!

Quick Reply: G37 transmission concerns